new member with a Scura

green ninja

Hello to you all,new member just saying hello and posting a pic of my pride and joy;

She's a 2003 v11 sport scura,number 311,i'm the second owner from last May when i took her on a trip to the Pyrenees and she excelled at all the hairpin bends and mountain roads,much to the surprise of my sportsbike riding pals!! :D

I have some high level cabon race cans fitted,fantastic sound,BMC air filter and dropped the forks through the yolks for quicker steering and some HEL braided hoses on the front brakes,one finger stopping now!May fit a Power Commander if fueling needs it.

Back to the Pyrenees this june for more fun.I have had big jap sportsbikes all my life and last year fancied a change,wanted a bike that made me ride it to get the joy back so i felt i had achieved something after a ride,not just faster,faster all the time.I had always liked the cafe racer look of the v11 and i have fallen for the Scura big time,this is a long term love affair!

I also have a VFR750 for everyday duties(tricked up too) but the Scura is the one that gets the heart racing,at the moment i am after a tail tidy/fender eliminator but can't find one here in the U.K

Here's some pic's i took today after pulling her out of the garage to warm her up as she is tucked away during winter to protect from all the salt.

DSC00617.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

This is a great site and i enjoy all the banter and pic's

kind regards,Mat

i am after a tail tidy/fender eliminator but can't find one here in the U.K

I got mine mail order from England. Corsa Italiana probably.

Maybe they are not made / stocked anymore as V11 isn't a current model?

Hello to you all,new member just saying hello and posting a pic of my pride and joy;

She's a 2003 v11 sport scura,number 311,i'm the second owner from last May when i took her on a trip to the Pyrenees and she excelled at all the hairpin bends and mountain roads,much to the surprise of my sportsbike riding pals!! :D

I have some high level cabon race cans fitted,fantastic sound,BMC air filter and dropped the forks through the yolks for quicker steering and some HEL braided hoses on the front brakes,one finger stopping now!May fit a Power Commander if fueling needs it.

DSC00619.jpg

Have you started saving up for the replacement clutch yet? :thumbsup:

Have you started saving up for the replacement clutch yet? :thumbsup:

Why doesn't Macguzzi contact everyone on the register to find out who has needed a new clutch so far?

I think that he should.

Why doesn't Macguzzi contact everyone on the register to find out who has needed a new clutch so far?

I think that he should.

Please excuse my ignorance but is there a problem with the clutch?

Mine has done 17,500mls and ridden quite hard in the mountains last year and the clutch is fine so far,i know it's a dry/single plate clutch and is a little rattly on tickover but what should i look for?

Please excuse my ignorance but is there a problem with the clutch?

Mine has done 17,500mls and ridden quite hard in the mountains last year and the clutch is fine so far,i know it's a dry/single plate clutch and is a little rattly on tickover but what should i look for?

The problem has shown up in a few Scuras. Out of 800 (?) produced, we have seen here less than 10 I think. So there's a lot of Scuras riding around on original clutch!

The Scura clutch is a single plate unit with an alu flywheel.

There have been a few instances of flywheel fracturing & in worst cases disintegrating in use, flying apart taking cases with it. Guzzi deny there's any problem although have fixed some bikes on warranty! My information is that the Scura unit is a basically a RAM part but with some components, inc flywheel, sourced elsewhere (cheaper most likely) & this is cause of problem.

Some owners have replaced stock clutch off their own bat as a precaution. I put in a RAM single plate unit, others go with std V11 twin plate which is pretty bullet proof far as I know.

I replaced mine cos of damage I had seen on this site & because I had personal knowledge of one of the bikes that failed. When I replaced it, at around 20k miles, my clutch was working great - it's a lovely clutch to use, light & positive. It showed no symptoms of failure. When I pulled it down my alu flywheel showed no obvious cracks or damage. The friction plate looked in very good condition.

It may be that this potential problem exists in a very small number of Scuras, or it may be common to all. I don't know of any Scuras on high mileages - so don't know if clutch can last (not saying there aren't any original clutches on 100k - just I dn't know about them). I don't know of any common factor in the history, mileage or type of use of the bikes that failed, nor any precursor to failure. I know one of the bikes which failed (J O'S) & it did have an unusually noisy clutch (you could hear it clearly above the clutches of two other Scuras sat a standstill in neutral). It was not ridden particularly hard.

If you search Scura clutch etc. there's plenty of stuff....

There's also plenty of discussion re Ohlins set up which you might find interesting.

That's a great looking bike you have. IMO Scura is best looking of V11 series, & a lovely bike to ride.

KB :sun:

• 1 month later...

don't worry, mine has 30,000.0 miles on it (riding 90 most the time on the interstates) and it is good for another 300,000.0 miles. I ride worry free, except when I am around cell phone talking, breakfast eating, mom's taking the short cut driving to work after dropping the kids off @ school!

If its not one thing, it's another.

St.

I have spoken with a lot of the Guzzi community over this issue, one of the guys I respect the most baldrick has never changed one and corsa sold a lot of scuras. The same has happened with other single plate clutches so it is not just confined to the scura. It is not really a clutch issue its the flywheel that explodes. Poor manufacturing

GreenNinja's Scura appears to have a "late" configuration (frame mounted instruments and fairing). Is it for sure that he has the single plate clutch and aluminum flywheel?

When I look through my inspection hole, I can see the flywheel is definitely ferrous (rusty).

BTW, the "inspection hole" is on the right behind a rubber plug just behind the motor.

What do you see in there GN?

This, see picture, happened to me at 150 km/h, rear wheel blokked only the last meter before standing stil. In the middle of the night, no traffic behind me. Scura 26000 km.mg clutch 001.jpgmg clutch 002.jpg

Sorry to hear that. Glad you're OK.

KB :sun:

• 2 weeks later...

GreenNinja's Scura appears to have a "late" configuration (frame mounted instruments and fairing). Is it for sure that he has the single plate clutch and aluminum flywheel?

When I look through my inspection hole, I can see the flywheel is definitely ferrous (rusty).

BTW, the "inspection hole" is on the right behind a rubber plug just behind the motor.

What do you see in there GN?

Had a look through the inspection hole and it looks like an aluminum flywheel in mine.

The pic's must make it look different as mine has the clip-on bars with the clocks mounted on them,not like the '03 on bikes.

On a different note,i have just fitted a Power Commander 111 usb with a map for open cans and filter like my bike and even with the base map the diffence is amazing,like a different bike,soon as the weather warms up i'll get it on the dyno and see what the curves like.