'Ere's to last rights o' Prisoners o' 'Er Majesty

Guest ratchethack

Guest ratchethack

Cheers! Brits toast new shatterproof pint glass

Associated Press Writer Gregory Katz

Februrary 4, 2010

SOURCE LINK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_...in_pint_glass_3

post-1212-1265323395_thumb.jpg

British Home Secretary Alan Johnson - proper pint glasses are too dangerous for British Subjects

LONDON – Soon Britons will be able to get smashed at the pub while their pint glasses won't.

The shatterproof pint glass was proudly unveiled by the government on Thursday. Officials swore the country would save billions in health care costs by coming up with a glass that doesn't double as a lethal weapon.

But noticeably, no officials were talking about reforming the British binge drinking culture at the root of the problem.

. . .

Good heav'ns, Guvnah's! Is there NOTHING sacred?!?! :o

You've let 'em take your guns -- and now they're taking away your hallowed pint glasses and giving you plastic?!?! Wot'll they be coming for next -- wot's left o' the family jewels?! <_<

Here in the US, for the last few decades we've quietly been converting back to "shall issue" concealed carry permits, and "no registration", state by state, nearly entirely unreported in the captive liberal media. The result? Violent crime has dropped like a rock in nearly every single category in every state.* No known outbreaks of assaults by pint glasses, either -- though we tend to prefer our bar draughts by the schooner or the "frosty mug". ^_^

It was millenia before Sam Colt's famous Peacemaker was introduced in 1873 that this unfailing rule of human nature was well established and well understood. Contrary to Hollywood movies, propaganda, and common popular delusion, it still works the same way today: When no one knows who's armed and who's not -- Why, it's like magic! -- EVERYONE suddenly behaves ever so much more politely! ;)

As a properly armed Yank, if the objective (per article above) is REALLY to "save billions in health care costs", (not to mention billions more in police, judicial, insurance, loss of productivity, and incarceration costs) my suggestion to you Brits -- do wot we and many other nations have already accomplished by the decades-long, irrefutable record. Gather up a collective pair, gain back control of your government, get back some o' your rights to self-protection, and get your defense guns back. The sweeping up of your bloody broken pint glasses -- and the swinging thereof in pubs with malice aforethought -- will drop off sharply, in direct proportion. THEN you can proudly hoist a pint again, in keeping with your "binge drinking culture", confident that the next obstreperous wanker won't be inclined to bash you over the skull with his, and/or cut you up with it! :bier:

*More Guns, Less Crime, by John R. Lott, Jr.

Please ask for original source documentation on many hundreds of the most credible and comprehensive long-term studies worldwide to back this up. Lott has compiled the most comprehensive spectrum of such independent and objective studies on the planet.

Just for starters: http://johnrlott.tripod.com/op-eds/BritainToyGunsWSJE.html

Please ask for more -- I'm begging you.

Nuffink in the South

Nowt in the North

I think Ratch believes too much what he reads- come over to England and I'll take you for a night out around Huddersfield to prove that most of us are happy drunks with no need for any sort of weapons!

Last time I drank with some of our cousins from across the sea, they ended up falling off their bar stalls after two pints of Marstons Owd Roger- I warned them not to drink it but they were feeling a bit macho and it all ended in tears very quickly.

Guy

Speaking of the governmemt restricting behavior for the "good of society" you cant even smoke in a bar here in Ohio anymore. Not that I'm a smoker BUT... if they can prevent you from smoking it probably wont stop there, Do they still allow indoor smoking in Europe? I've been watching the news lately and it seems that several of the countries over there are near bankrupt, Greece being the one they talk about most. Its going to be interesting to see what these governments try to take from their citizens in order to avoid insolvency.

Not that america is any better.... we're borrowing money to pay interest on our debt now and piling up more debt at record levels.

Stay tuned... things are about to get very interesting in the next year or two.

Speaking of the governmemt restricting behavior for the "good of society" you cant even smoke in a bar here in Ohio anymore. Not that I'm a smoker BUT... if they can prevent you from smoking it probably wont stop there, Do they still allow indoor smoking in Europe? I've been watching the news lately and it seems that several of the countries over there are near bankrupt, Greece being the one they talk about most. Its going to be interesting to see what these governments try to take from their citizens in order to avoid insolvency.

Not that america is any better.... we're borrowing money to pay interest on our debt now and piling up more debt at record levels.

Stay tuned... things are about to get very interesting in the next year or two.

In the UK you can't smoke in Pubs or even in a company vehicle (ie works van).

We have a ban on all NHS property so smokers(staff and patients) have to stand on the street.

Guest ratchethack
I think Ratch believes too much what he reads-

Hm. In fact, most of wot I find in print (and media of any kind, for that matter) I tend to disbelieve entirely. But then, I suspect that I tend to read quite a lot more than others. When I do discover a highly qualified, credible source on a topic that's consistently backed by the most credible supporting evidence that exists, (as rare as this has come to be in The Age of Disinformation) this is where I tend to place my beliefs. ;)

If you can find a published source on the topic of gun control that you think is more credible than Dr. Lott, I'd sincerely appreciate knowing about it. NOTE: He's not a politician. His background is Economics.

I have owned and read a copy of Lott's first book since publication of the first edition. He was interviewed 7 years ago, after the release of his second book on the same topic.

Check his bio and that interview here: http://www.strike-the-root.com/3/chapin/chapin10.html

Hm. In fact, most of wot I find in print (and media of any kind, for that matter) I tend to disbelieve entirely. But then, I suspect that I tend to read quite a lot more than others. When I do discover a highly qualified, credible source on a topic that's consistently backed by the most credible supporting evidence that exists, (as rare as this has come to be in The Age of Disinformation) this is where I tend to place my beliefs. ;)

If you can find a published source on the topic of gun control that you think is more credible than Dr. Lott, I'd sincerely appreciate knowing about it. NOTE: He's not a politician. His background is Economics.

I have owned and read a copy of Lott's first book since publication of the first edition. He was interviewed 7 years ago, after the release of his second book on the same topic.

Check his bio and that interview here: http://www.strike-the-root.com/3/chapin/chapin10.html

What makes you so sure that he doesnt buy your gun control story? I mean he really could just think your beer glass story is bs! :lol:

Btw that was a leap of Olympic proportions to go from plastic beer glasses to gun control. However.... you did manage to pull it off. If I were judging the competion I would give you a solid 10 for creativity -_-:D

Cheers! Brits toast new shatterproof pint glass

Associated Press Writer Gregory Katz

Februrary 4, 2010

SOURCE LINK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_...in_pint_glass_3

Alan_Johnson_pints_too_dangerous.jpg

British Home Secretary Alan Johnson - proper pint glasses are too dangerous for British Subjects

LONDON – Soon Britons will be able to get smashed at the pub while their pint glasses won't.

The shatterproof pint glass was proudly unveiled by the government on Thursday. Officials swore the country would save billions in health care costs by coming up with a glass that doesn't double as a lethal weapon.

But noticeably, no officials were talking about reforming the British binge drinking culture at the root of the problem.

. . .

Good heav'ns, Guvnah's! Is there NOTHING sacred?!?! :o

You've let 'em take your guns -- and now they're taking away your hallowed pint glasses and giving you plastic?!?! Wot'll they be coming for next -- wot's left o' the family jewels?! <_>

Here in the US, for the last few decades we've quietly been converting back to "shall issue" concealed carry permits, and "no registration", state by state, nearly entirely unreported in the captive liberal media. The result? Violent crime has dropped like a rock in nearly every single category in every state.* No known outbreaks of assaults by pint glasses, either -- though we tend to prefer our bar draughts by the schooner or the "frosty mug". ^_^

It was millenia before Sam Colt's famous Peacemaker was introduced in 1873 that this unfailing rule of human nature was well established and well understood. Contrary to Hollywood movies, propaganda, and common popular delusion, it still works the same way today: When no one knows who's armed and who's not -- Why, it's like magic! -- EVERYONE suddenly behaves ever so much more politely! ;)

As a properly armed Yank, if the objective (per article above) is REALLY to "save billions in health care costs", (not to mention billions more in police, judicial, insurance, loss of productivity, and incarceration costs) my suggestion to you Brits -- do wot we and many other nations have already accomplished by the decades-long, irrefutable record. Gather up a collective pair, gain back control of your government, get back some o' your rights to self-protection, and get your defense guns back. The sweeping up of your bloody broken pint glasses -- and the swinging thereof in pubs with malice aforethought -- will drop off sharply, in direct proportion. THEN you can proudly hoist a pint again, in keeping with your "binge drinking culture", confident that the next obstreperous wanker won't be inclined to bash you over the skull with his, and/or cut you up with it! :bier:

*More Guns, Less Crime, by John R. Lott, Jr.

Please ask for original source documentation on many hundreds of the most credible and comprehensive long-term studies worldwide to back this up. Lott has compiled the most comprehensive spectrum of such independent and objective studies on the planet.

Just for starters: http://johnrlott.tripod.com/op-eds/BritainToyGunsWSJE.html

Please ask for more -- I'm begging you.

And to use another english expression you may or may not be familiar with--------

bollocks

Guest ratchethack
What makes you so sure that he doesnt buy your gun control story? I mean he really could just think your beer glass story is bs! :lol:

Btw that was a leap of Olympic proportions to go from plastic beer glasses to gun control. However.... you did manage to pull it off. If I were judging the competion I would give you a solid 10 for creativity -_-:D

Well, Richard. If you were sincerely interested, I reckon you’d have read wot you’re responding to. The UK government took 13 years to span the divide between substantially increasing violent crime that they caused with their gun ban in ’97, to absurdly attempting to control it with plastic drinking glasses today. Per the article, the use of plastic glasses will of course be “voluntary” -- at first. Any guess about wot follows? Anyone who knows the first thing about history and the way governments work needs no further explanation. This is merely the start of a typical government action and chain reaction without end. <_<

If you'd read it, reckon this single sentence in the article might’ve allowed you to find an easily predictable step, in place of taking your “Olympic leap”: “Half of all violent assaults in Britain are alcohol-related and it has become common for drinkers to smash glasses and use them as weapons. . .” :huh2:

How d’you reckon it was possible that Brits ever met in the relative safety of pubs and taverns, not only all across the Isles, but across "the Empire upon which the sun never set" for the previous 8 centuries since the Magna Carta was signed without needing government to protect them from each other with “plastic glasses”? Do look up the Magna Carta and the right to keep and bear arms, won’t you? It’s a very British thing, you know. It’s also the original source of many Nation’s laws that protect nearly all of us from our governments today (including ours here in the US).

Since I’d provided direct source links above, it should be obvious from the get-go that neither the beer glass “story”, nor the failed results of the gun control ban were “my” stories. Though they’re rightfully questionable on lots of stuff, it’s generally a little difficult to argue with Associated Press (the source on the UK pint glass story). But for someone who doesn’t read, and therefore isn’t familiar with AP, which all reading adults encounter many times every day in every National and International news source on the planet, I reckon something like this could be interpreted as one o’ those “Twelve Year-old Girl Gives Birth to Fourteen Year-old Boy” curiosities. . . and a healthy skepticism is always a good thing! ;)

But I’d given Guzzirider the benefit of doubt on this one, and I'd likewise hoped (being perhaps too generous?) that most adults here have at least SOME IDEA by their own experiences that AP doesn’t make stuff like this up out o’ thin air, and I figure he’d questioned my reference to Dr. Lott.

Again, if you’d actually read wot you’re responding to, Richard, I wouldn’t be connecting the dots for you now. But since reading itself is so kulturally unpopular these days, I reckon I should’ve expected as much . . .[sigh]. . . :rolleyes:

The AP article is about the UK’s response to the upsurge in violent assault in pubs involving broken pint glasses. My remarks were in reference to the decades of world-wide proven results of decrease in violent crime (including assault) in nations where defense weapons controls have been relaxed. This has been a significant trend, including here in the US.

Again, the track record of thousands of years of civilization is recently upheld, as always, once again: When people don’t know who’s armed and who’s not, violent crime (including assault with any weapon, including broken pint glasses) tends to be relatively low, relative to circumstances when possession of self-defense weapons are illegal, and law-abiding Citizens (or Subjects) can be expected to be unarmed and relatively defenseless against lawbreakers who will always be armed, regardless of the law.

The premise of the book, More Guns, Less Crime, would SEEM to be relatively self-explanatory?! I would urge you to turn your interest in responding to this thread to reading it and some of the links I've provided, and possibly learning something here. Check it out, and verify for yourself the credibility of the scientifically compiled knowledge base upon which it is founded, and check the author’s credentials, at the links provided above.

Now if the concept of More Guns, Less Crime and the overwhelming documented world history behind it is STILL a bit too difficult to grasp, let me spell it out for you very clearly from the results of hundreds of the long-term studies in the book: In no Nation where the decades-old move to allow concealed carry has been re-instituted (after previously being denied) in the last 30 years (of many dozens) would ANY Citizen or Subject EVER have any statistically supported reason to call upon their government to “protect them” in pubs by requiring the house to dispense their swill in plastic containers, lest the patrons slice themselves up, creating a need for government intervention.

Capice?

If all else fails, and/or you're just not going to read no matter what, here’s an ever-so-polite VIDEO reminder of the largest British public protest in history – and the voice of the British themselves -- that might help:

So by all means, do raise a glass in Great Britain -- while the glasses are still glass – eh, Gents? :bier: