fork torque settings

green ninja

Can anybody help with the torque settings for the forks in the yolks,think you in the USA call them triple tee's.

Have just had the Ohlins forks serviced and re-sprung in my V11 scura and can't find a definitive torque setting for the bolts upper and lower,an Ohlins set up guide gives 15-18nm but this seems very low to me,anybody got any ideas?

Can anybody help with the torque settings for the forks in the yolks,think you in the USA call them triple tee's.

Have just had the Ohlins forks serviced and re-sprung in my V11 scura and can't find a definitive torque setting for the bolts upper and lower,an Ohlins set up guide gives 15-18nm but this seems very low to me,anybody got any ideas?

That sounds about right. I don't have Ohlins forks but typically you don't want to over tighten those pinch bolts. It can actually deform the aluminum outer tube which will cause an issue as the inner tube slides past that point. The upper pinch bolts could be tighter but I don't think it is needed.

Hi,

the technical manual tells 25Nm for this screws. I used this torque for my Scura fork.

The 4 screws over cross & in 2 steps, 1st 20Nm, 2nd 25Nm for a optimal settlement.

skymax

Which technical manual, Ohlins or Guzzi?

I'm sure that 25Nm will work but in my experience that is a little higher then needed and not what I use. I would stick with the 18Nm originally mentioned. I use ft/lbs and inch/lbs so I use 12 ft/lbs to 14 ft/lbs or 144 to 168 inch/lbs. That comes out to just under 17Nm to about 19Nm. Tighter does not get you any increase in rigidity but it does risk squeezing the upper tube to the point of interference with the lower tube as it slides (it is about 50% more torque then I use).

To each their own.

Thanks for all the replies guys,i have gone for a middle of the road setting of 16 ft/lb,does'nt sound like alot but can see the benefit of going lighter than heavier.

My VFR750 torque values for the top clamp are 17 ft/lb and the bottom clamp bolts are 42 ft/lb but these are for right way up forks,not upside down ones so that may have an effect.

Also in the same area what do other members torque the front wheel spindle to on the ohlins forks,its the solid axle and the spacer was on the left side as you look at the bike from the front when it seems to me it should be on the right side as it keeps the spacing better and has a better fit on the bearing when you tighten the axle up?

kind regards,Mat

Thanks for all the replies guys,i have gone for a middle of the road setting of 16 ft/lb,does'nt sound like alot but can see the benefit of going lighter than heavier.

My VFR750 torque values for the top clamp are 17 ft/lb and the bottom clamp bolts are 42 ft/lb but these are for right way up forks,not upside down ones so that may have an effect.

Yes, right side up forks use completely different and much higher torque values for the pinch bolts and comparing the two is a waste of time.

As for the axle torque values on an Ohlins front end, I don't have an Ohlins front end any more and the ones I've had were not R/T forks so I don't have a number for you.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys were spot on,found a schematic for the Ohlins forks on the Scura and Le Mans and the top and bottom bolts are both 18 ft/lbs,just as quoted,thanks very much. :thumbsup:

The front wheel axle bolt is 36 ft/lbs

regards all

18 lb-ft is sure right for an 8mm fastener (25NM), but 36 ft-lb for an axle? Hmmm, that's just 50 NM . . .

The solid front in my shop manual (2000 Sport) calls for 90-100 NM (70 ft-lb or so). I can't imagine an '02 axle would need less. Sure there's that lock nut and pinch bolts and all, but . . .

Did you find the location for your thimble-like spacer? Mine's an the left side of the bike. That's the left as you sit on it - the bike's left side.

Again, mine's not Scura.

Also, it is good to retorque the previous fastener after the subsequent in a pinch collar working up in steps to the max torque. Otherwise the first fastener will end up 'loose' and the collar not as effective.

DOCC, i thought that aswell regarding the front axle torque,all other bikes i have owned have been similar settings to yours(70 ft/lb or so),the 50nm was on the same diagram as the other readings and although vague was all i could make out for the area of the front axle,the only other numbers in that area were for the pinch bolts.To be honest i had already torqued it up to 60 ft/lb before i saw the diagram.

I have the spacer on the same side as yours now,left as you sit on the bike,although when i first got the bike it was on the right but was 'floating' and not doing its job,fits perfect on the left side so its staying there,could have been the tyre fitter from the previous owner not knowing Guzzi's :doh: