Noise CARC/Rear end

clickclack

:thumbsup: Breaking in my new Stelvio grand total of 160 miles so far. Enjoying the heck out of it.

However I have noticed (especially after I installed the aluminum rear bags TraX, noise reflection?) that the rear end seems to make a lot of noise. If i pull in the clutch at 40 and listen, it makes a nice little howling sound. On the center stand in gear it rattles more than I would think is should, even with a bit of rear break applied.

Does anybody have any insight? Is this normal? Does the CARC drive have any known issues?

Thanks for the help in advance. :bier:

:thumbsup: Breaking in my new Stelvio grand total of 160 miles so far. Enjoying the heck out of it.

However I have noticed (especially after I installed the aluminum rear bags TraX, noise reflection?) that the rear end seems to make a lot of noise. If i pull in the clutch at 40 and listen, it makes a nice little howling sound. On the center stand in gear it rattles more than I would think is should, even with a bit of rear break applied.

Does anybody have any insight? Is this normal? Does the CARC drive have any known issues?

Thanks for the help in advance. :bier:

The CARC has remained pretty bulletproof. I have heard of one or two cases world-wide of the pinion nut coming loose and there was a very early recall on some Breva 11 and Griso 11 boxes due to Piaggio having bought in some cheap, inferior bearings but otherwise they seem to be good.

Chances are if you whip in the clutch and coast the noise you are hearing will be a combination of tyre noise and the straight cut gears in the gearbox running together, there are thirteen straight cut pinions in the box all spinning around together with only 1/2 a litre of oil to shut 'em up, it's not surprising it makes a bit of a racket.

Pete

The CARC has remained pretty bulletproof. I have heard of one or two cases world-wide of the pinion nut coming loose and there was a very early recall on some Breva 11 and Griso 11 boxes due to Piaggio having bought in some cheap, inferior bearings but otherwise they seem to be good.

Chances are if you whip in the clutch and coast the noise you are hearing will be a combination of tyre noise and the straight cut gears in the gearbox running together, there are thirteen straight cut pinions in the box all spinning around together with only 1/2 a litre of oil to shut 'em up, it's not surprising it makes a bit of a racket.

Pete

Hi Pete!

thanks for the quick response! Thats put me at ease. I understand that testing it with the bike on the center stand in gear is not a good idea?

.. I have done that and it sounds like somebody tossed a couple of nuts in there!

Thanks for your insight!!

Hi Pete!

thanks for the quick response! Thats put me at ease. I understand that testing it with the bike on the center stand in gear is not a good idea?

.. I have done that and it sounds like somebody tossed a couple of nuts in there!

Thanks for your insight!!

All you are doing by running the bike on its stand in gear is hammering the teeth of the pinions and engagement dogs to pieces I've never understood why anybody would think this is a good idea :huh2:

Pete