Sport Cycle Pacific, Santa Barbara

kecup

Had the bike at the shop for some upgrades, I went for this mainly because was enthusiastically promised very interesting $45/hour rate for the entire job. Ended up at - still discounted - $70. The difference made up some 800bucks - yuk! What else - it took a month to service the fork, remove and strip the wheels for powdercoating and install new grips, blinkers and levers, pity I had to finish the latter myself - the master cylinder reservoir was installed all wrong.

Had the bike at the shop for some upgrades, I went for this mainly because was enthusiastically promised very interesting $45/hour rate for the entire job. Ended up at - still discounted - $70. The difference made up some 1000bucks - yuk! What else - it took a month to service the fork, remove and strip the wheels for powdercoating and install new grips, blinkers and levers, pity I had to finish the latter myself - the master cylinder reservoir was installed all wrong.

So you're saying they quoted you $45/hr up front, & then reneged to the tune of $70/hr after completion? Sounds like you got the "get it in writing next time" lesson in a BIG way!

legally a promise by word is still a contract.

Credibility of the accusation of course won't carry as much weight, but then they would have to lie under oath.

So, not only did they bill for $70 per hour, they charged 1000/25= 40 hours labor to do that little work?!?

Or was it 1000/70=14 hours sounds more like it.

Did they estimate time?

I am slow as molasses, and I could do all but the paint stripping in about 6 hours

Stripping the paint might take a couple days of soaking, but labor should only be a couple hours, I'd guess, but maybe the paint on our wheels is extra tough?????

Powdercoating wheels should be less than $200 for the pair, but I am assuming that was an additional cost billed by another company.

Good grief! take them to court!

Oooops, I just read your edited post, where you changed the price difference from 1000 to 800, so that would be 32 hours iabor!!!!!!!

Is an oil change there 5 hours labor????

legally a promise by word is still a contract.

Credibility of the accusation of course won't carry as much weight, but then they would have to lie under oath.

So, not only did they bill for $70 per hour, they charged 1000/25= 40 hours labor to do that little work?!?

Or was it 1000/70=14 hours sounds more like it.

Did they estimate time?

I am slow as molasses, and I could do all but the paint stripping in about 6 hours

Stripping the paint might take a couple days of soaking, but labor should only be a couple hours, I'd guess, but maybe the paint on our wheels is extra tough?????

Powdercoating wheels should be less than $200 for the pair, but I am assuming that was an additional cost billed by another company.

Good grief! take them to court!

Oooops, I just read your edited post, where you changed the price difference from 1000 to 800, so that would be 32 hours labor!!!!!!!

Is an oil change there 5 hours labor????

Hi, I changed the price since was not terribly certain on details, and do not really want to blame someone. I dropped the bike exactly for this:

1. removal of the wheels for powdercoating (old paint stripping and powdercoating did myself)

2. removal of the tripple trees and fork for powdercoating (powdercoating did myself)

3. installation of the Beringer master cylinder and clutch perch (I supplied the parts)

4. installation of the Hella bar-end blinkers and Rizoma grips (I supplied the parts)

5. new tires front and back

6. welding of the cracked gearbox mount (easily removable on my bike, not part of the gearbox)

7. steering damper change, turned to be $100 or $150 for a used unit, do not remember exactly

It took the shop 2 weeks to remove wheels and fork, then I had the parts for powdercoating for a week (Monday to Monday), then they were putting everything back for 3 weeks. Paid $2451 total, I do not know how much were parts and how much labor. I only went for the accessories installation because they promised 40$/hour rate on a big job. Was charged $70 and told I am lucky getting a discount. Anyway, turned that for the master cylinder they lost the Beringer's reservoir holder and hardware (which of course I supplied) so they simply got a piece of ugly old green hose and used the original brembo reservoir (fabricated some kind of holder too). Due to the reservoir's shape they installed it the way that it could possibly accumulate bubbless in the middle of the hose. So after getting home I got mad and got rid of all the old hose-reservoir-holder crap, made trip to Beringer again to get new holder and hardware, and fixed it. To this date I wonder how much the (complete unnecessary) reservoir holder fabrication cost me:)

Hope this clears things. Left fork leg seeps oil from the top screw, seems someone forgot to put back that tiny seal that goes on the fork cap:)

Although I was mad at the beginning right now I am well over this. Restoring the bike for some 2 years and this is not the only not-so-great experince. But that's life.

Although I was mad at the beginning right now I am well over this. Restoring the bike for some 2 years and this is not the only not-so-great experince. But that's life.

It sure sounds like they charged you for the powdercoating you did, on top of their time pulling things apart & putting back together again...

Well, I think it's a sure bet they've lost you as a repeat customer. And of course, in these days of the internet, they've lost a lot more 1st time customers too, in their haste to make an unearned buck off of you. So the joke's on them!

Thanks for the warning! :thumbsup: