Griso 8V tune-up

belfastguzzi

The fact that Dave has also been consistently given the bum's rush by the importer is also deeply troubling and means that at the end of the day he's been left with a VERY expensive motorbike that has been wantonly screwed up by an idiot purporting to be an 'Official Service Agent' and a now expired warranty. The real tragedy is that the 8v motor and the Griso as a platform for it IS superb! In my mind it is without a doubt the BEST Guzzi to have been produced in damn near thirty years, certainly in a quarter of a century, and to have the experience of ownership so comprehensively screwed up by ignorance and idiocy just HAS to be a very bitter pill to swallow.

Yeah, that.

Piaggio needs to wake up & make a commitment to their "early adopters" who have been getting the shaft both on grenaded motors and poor service from their local "agents" if they want to turn Guzzi around. The piecemeal approach they seem to have taken to replace cam & lifters short of a full recall is only hurting them, esp. when they get clowns as outlined above who cannot perform the work properly.

I hope BFG can get things resolved to his satisfaction, but I'd have been looking into legal action long before now... <_>

I've just given it a tweak, a twirl and a good dose of Axone syrup.

Now to see how it rides. I'll let you know... :race:

What I did, briefly described – not every step.

First connecting the Axone revealed these diagnostics:

Idle rpm = 900rpm

TP = 8.8º

I turned the sacred screw turned right out: TP = 8.7º

Engine off, TP reads = 10.0º

Full throttle = 85º

ECU previous programming date: 17/4/2009

info blank

Hardware version: 00

Mapping: blank

Software version: 0000

I don't know which map was installed on 17/4/2009. Should it have said there, against Mapping: which was just blank?

Elsewhere, the Axone does display 2229 GRS8V68

and

Mapping

GRS8V 68S. BIN

but I guess this refers to the software to be installed, rather than what is actually on the bike?

Was the 68 map available a year ago or is it more recent?

Whatever was loaded, the TPS was not reset and I now know that this resulted in the ECU seeing a base reading of 8.8º/10º (double what it should read).

What effect would this have had?

Air bleed screws

Left side was open 4 ‘sweeps’ - probably over one turn

Right side was half sweep open

Reprogramming: 02/05/10

pass: 155173

2229 GRS8V68

GR8 8V 68S. BIN

Procedure, simplified

1. Backed-off sacred screw & throttle link adjuster

2. Closed air bleeds

3. Balanced throttle bodies via link rod adjuster, at 3,000rpm

4. Opened left air bleed half-turn to balance idle

5. Installed #68 map

6. Re-set TPS (to 4.8º) & Parameters

Revs at idle now up to 1,290rpm

sacred screw completely backed-off

7. Turned in sacred screw, slightly

8. Rebalanced:

Linkage adjuster set, right airbleed opened 3/4 (?) turn, left bleed closed

TP reading with sacred screw out = 5.0º

- Throttle shut, screw turned in to 5.1º

- Throttle wide open = 85º

- Engine off, screw set at 5.0º

- Engine on, reads 4.7º

> idle at 1200rpm

9. TPS reset = 4.8º with engine off

So set-up now is:

TBs balanced at 3,000

and at idle

right airbleed opened 3/4 (?) turn, left bleed closed (Pete’s notes say to open the air bleed on the higher vacuum side, instructions on Gtech say to open the bleed on lower vacuum. It makes sense to me to bleed the higher side, so I did that (right side) to achieve balance).

Sacred screw slightly turned in to give:

1200rpm

TPS reads 4.8º

the result

The engine felt much better, felt right, straight off. As soon as I started and for the rest of the ride, it was much smoother. It made the previous experience seem exactly like that description of a "three-legged donkey" – with two legs tied together.

Wow. Cheers, especially to Pete for everything.

So far, the bike doesn't seem to smell as badly; doesn't smoke/fume like it did; and already the fuel consumption looks better. It had been reading 17mpg. Now it's around high 20s. That's after only a short ride. The tank was empty and the fuel stations closed. (Must be a bank holiday thing.)

Wa-hey!

4572789796_4c6c51bf05.jpg

4572136519_d04c8018a6_m.jpg

4572137081_a2f59be8ff.jpg

4572137569_8c406bf946_m.jpg

Does this mean that the #68 map was already loaded? Drawing number?

4572142725_bcd2bc9e9f.jpg

4572779786_839fb13760_m.jpg

4572784052_252bb2707f_m.jpg

4572152479_6555a11d22.jpg

4572787464_3be06d7609.jpg

Any comment on the relative readings, particularly the spark advice?

I don't know what these should be or what the interplay with temperature etc is.

4572136519_d04c8018a6_m.jpg4572137569_8c406bf946_m.jpg

4572787464_3be06d7609.jpg4572137081_a2f59be8ff.jpg

4572162285_4f3a0ce686.jpg

4572162843_0d18118713.jpg

You will have to let the bike idle for a minimum of 3 minutes to cause the bike to go to "closed loop". After that, raise the r.p.m. to see if the ignition timing changes. Blip the throttle to se if the timing goes up and down.

the result

The engine felt much better, felt right, straight off. As soon as I started and for the rest of the ride, it was much smoother. It made the previous experience seem exactly like that description of a "three-legged donkey" – with two legs tied together.

So far, the bike doesn't seem to smell as badly; doesn't smoke/fume like it did; and already the fuel consumption looks better. It had been reading 17mpg. Now it's around high 20s. That's after only a short ride. The tank was empty and the fuel stations closed. (Must be a bank holiday thing.)

Wa-hey!

Now yer gettin there! Thank Christ! Two years and countless f@ck-ups and it FINALLY looks like you're going to start enjoying the bike. As I've previously said, the 8V motor is a wonderful thing and a well set up Griso of ANY sort is a sublime experience. I just can't for the life of me understand how Yer Maun managed to cock things up quite so comprehensively? You've now used Axone? It's not rocket science is it? Shit! If I can use it, or Navigator, it can't be *too* hard can it???

Pete