Recommended O2 sensor location

c20500

Howdy folks,

I've ordered My15M for my 2004 Naked and will probably go with a wideband closed loop set up. Where is the best place to put the o2 sensor? I have the stock crossover.

I noticed the two nuts on the interior sides of the headers... how about the balance tube just under the alternator to get both sides?

Also, a few more questions for you experts... the owner that sold me the bike said it has a catalytic converter on it.. it's a California approved model but I doubt it has it. there is no o2 sensor currently. How can I tell? the vin is zguktc0164m111173

Thanks again.

Also, a few more questions for you experts... the owner that sold me the bike said it has a catalytic converter on it.. it's a California approved model but I doubt it has it. there is no o2 sensor currently. How can I tell?

According to Guzziology, none of the U.S.-bound spine frames had cats before 2005 when they were unceremoniously terminated by Piaggio. If your bike is an originally-Swiss import, then yeah, it has a cat. ;)

The logical location for a cat is the huge pre-muffler "crossover", but according to Greg Field (& by association, Guzziology?), the V11 cats are in the front of the cans, so if you take off a can, & drop a fishing wt. on a string thru the entrance pipe & feel it banging around down at the end w/ the exit pipe [look up my old thread w/ pics of the dissected mufflers for a visual of what I'm describing], then you've got no cat.

Personally, I wouldn't fret about it, & just rely on Guzziology's word.

Howdy folks,

I've ordered My15M for my 2004 Naked and will probably go with a wideband closed loop set up. Where is the best place to put the o2 sensor? I have the stock crossover.

I noticed the two nuts on the interior sides of the headers... how about the balance tube just under the alternator to get both sides?

Also, a few more questions for you experts... the owner that sold me the bike said it has a catalytic converter on it.. it's a California approved model but I doubt it has it. there is no o2 sensor currently. How can I tell? the vin is zguktc0164m111173

Thanks again.

If you get an after market X-over they have a mounting for your sensor, be aware that the sensor can't be too close to the cylinders as it will overheat.

I put my wide band O2 sensor where Paul put his. With the wide band sensors it is important to get it in the right area. I'd avoid putting it in the crossover.

Are the widebands more accurate for closed loop on the my15?