Something for the weekend Sir?

NakedV

Well we're back, after a cracking weekend away on the bikes. Friday saw us leave Hartlepool in clear dry, if a bit breezy conditions. We were heading for the Peak district having booked into a site pointed out to us on the MGCGB site.

http://www.fieldhead-campsite.co.uk/

We were in no hurry with the priority very definately, enjoying the ride rather than getting there by the shortest route. We left the A19 to enter Thirsk where we had a traditional full breakfast, before introducing ourselves to the new Guzzi Dealer that has opened there. Nice friendly people who appear enthusiastic about the marque. :mg:

From Thirsk we headed up Sutton bank to take full advantage of the fantastic riding roads out there, heading through Malton and Sledmere before stopping at the Biker's Cafe at Fridaythorpe. (Frequented by the North East MGCGB Branch I believe).

We made very quick progress on almost empty roads before stopping off in York to re-fuel, 110 miles covered and going well. Skirting York on the A64 we headed towards Leeds and then took the A1/A1M to Sheffield, (BORING!!!!!!!!!!). Exiting the M1 we rode past the Hillsborough stadium before taking the scenic Rivellin Valley road that if followed the full distance will take you onto the awsome Snake Pass!

We followed it to the Ladybower Dam, before turning off towards Castleton, still maintaining high average speeds on near empty roads, the final few miles and the twisty back roads that led to the site dictated care as gravel, deep puddles and potholes replaced the excellent roads we'd become used to. The site was great, the wardens expected us and met us with timber to place beneath our sidestands. With tents pitched, Pete and I headed out to sample the fare at the 2 local pubs. The beer and grub were great but several hours of very "Enthusiastic" road riding combined with us not being quite as young as we were saw us asleep in our tents by 9pm . :oldgit:

An early start saw cooler tempratures and mist which quickly cleared as the sun got up. With the bikes packed we headed out to test ourselves against the famed Snake Pass. :notworthy:

The Guzzi revelling in the twists and turns with never a hairy moment. On a couple of bends I thought I'd over cooked it but a brief dab of back brake to straighten things out then power on and watch the tarmac coming up to meet me as we bellowed through the still quiet peaks was indescribable. :race:

Glossop came too quickly but yielded an excellent Cafe serving breakfast so huge even I couldn't finish one, :food: good company too in the form of a couple of guys out on a Boxer BMW and an Aprilia.

We then decided to strike North in the hope of hitting the A65, an old favorite of mine though we had a totally mad ride to get to it on a well surfaced wide twisty that had us Whooping like a pair of 10 year olds when we met up again on the A65. :lol:

A quick stop at the Devils Bridge then on to our next site at Pooley Bridge on Ulleswater where we drank and ate our fill before retiring to our tents. This morning with rain threatening we made the long climb up to the Hartside Cafe where 2 bacon baps & 2 Coffees set us back nearly £9.(Ouch!) Then a steady descent to Alston, passing a group of bikes heading the other way with at least 1 Guzzi among them. Then it was accross country to Allendale and Hexham before an amazing thrash down the A68, stopping of at a mates place in Tow Law for Coffee.

From there it was a fast run home though my enthusiastic riding of that last day has resulted in the base of the sidestand being somewhat reduced in area.

The last 4 miles saw some interesting roundabout action with 2 guys on big KTM Super Motard things that were a lot faster than I expected and called for some scarey late braking and pretty hard work on my part to get ahead on the exits from the curves before he out dragged me to about 80, then the higher top end of the Guzzi would reassert itself before hard on the brakes for the next roundabout, he couldn't stay with the V11 through the turns even loaded as I was with camping gear. :moon: (though I've lost a good amount of metal from the sidestand). All in all a pretty great w/ends fun. (Glad the wife never saw our antics over the last 4 or 5 miles though).

Only downside is the panniers have messed with the paintwork in a couple of spots . But it'll fix.

Regards, Mick.

Exiting the M1 we rode past the Hillsborough stadium before taking the scenic Rivellin Valley road that if followed the full distance will take you onto the awsome Snake Pass!

We followed it to the Ladybower Dam, before turning off towards Castleton,

I grew up on that side of Sheffield so know it very well, and the A57 to Ladybower is still part of my usual ride out route.The Snake is now a 50 limit :bbblll: so only worth riding for the view,rather than for fun of it :bike: but probably safe to "make progress" in the week rather than at the weekend when the power rangers are out on their R1's etc :lol: .

I grew up on that side of Sheffield so know it very well, and the A57 to Ladybower is still part of my usual ride out route.The Snake is now a 50 limit :bbblll: so only worth riding for the view,rather than for fun of it :bike: but probably safe to "make progress" in the week rather than at the weekend when the power rangers are out on their R1's etc :lol: .

Have to admit to using the 50mph signs more as a "guide" than a true limit, Saw very few vehicles and no plod at all on Saturday Morning when we crossed (8.30/9ish), Fantastic views though and on the twisty bits I didn't have to go at stupid speeds for it to be good fun, LOL.

Sounds like a great way into spring!

Once you get your sags and springs set up, the side stand (wot's left) won't touch down much.

Seems you've changed up your avatar to show us those dazzling new exhaust cans. Nice, but the dazzle rather does not compare to your prior photo!:pic:

Sounds like a great way into spring!

Once you get your sags and springs set up, the side stand (wot's left) won't touch down much.

Seems you've changed up your avatar to show us those dazzling new exhaust cans. "Nice, but the dazzle rather does not compare to your prior photo!":pic:

So very true my friend, She's one pretty lady, and smart with it. I've picked up a cheap "keep it in the jacket pocket" camara, so should be able to start documenting some of the better rides out over here this Summer. Take care Mate and keep the shiney side up. Mick.