Griso Cup

Guzzirider

I hope you're right about a Griso only race series Guy. I'd love to see and hear a video of that! I hope that ugly little fairing isn't mandatory though :vomit: .

I'm surprised that Guzzi or someone else hasn't come up with a half fairing for the Griso yet. It seems like it would be so simple to remove the wings below the Griso tank and fabricate a half fairing that attaches where the wings were. Maybe one of you Griso guys could give it a shot?

God, I hate one make race series. If Guzzi wants to race then they should build a bike capable of it. If your bikes are so slow that you need to race them against themselves then you should not be racing them. A V11 is not a bad track bike. I can't imagine racing my 2V Griso. A 8V'er would have more power, but the handling would still be soft.

Bring back the spine frame with a 8V motor or the MGS01 with the 8V motor. Or build a new frame with a large cross section aluminum spine and the airbox built into the frame. But don't go the route of Harley and their lame 883 or new 1200 series.

...If your bikes are so slow that you need to race them against themselves then you should not be racing them....

B*****s! - don't matter what you're riding - if you wanna race RACE! Racing is only racing when

machinery is evenly matched - doesn't matter what level. Good luck to anyone racing a Guzzi. Mind it's 1st April....

B*****s! - don't matter what you're riding - if you wanna race RACE! Racing is only racing when

machinery is evenly matched - doesn't matter what level. Good luck to anyone racing a Guzzi. Mind it's 1st April....

Yes, exactly. If you want to race, RACE. Don't put on some sort of parade where the only bikes allowed to run are yours so that you can be sure one of yours wins. That is not racing. Racing is where you have to COMPETE against everybody else who makes a bike in your displacement/class. I am all for racing Guzzi's, and I applaud the people who race them. But when you can only be competitive by restricting the race to people on your brand/model bike, that is not racing. That is sad.

Guzzi should be above that. That is a Harley move.

Guzzi should be above that. That is a Harley move.

In Europe, One make series has being going on for years, Harley, honda,triumph, yamaha, ktm, bmw, suzi,aprilia and ducati have all done it in recent times, its actually a good cheap way of going racing. I saw a bmw only race at a world superbike meeting once with ex gp racers taking part. Good fun. :race::race::race::mg:

In Europe, One make series has being going on for years, Harley, honda,triumph, yamaha, ktm, bmw, suzi,aprilia and ducati have all done it in recent times, its actually a good cheap way of going racing. I saw a bmw only race at a world superbike meeting once with ex gp racers taking part. Good fun. :race::race::race::mg:

In the US, that kind of thing is usually reserved for Harleys, beginner classes, and exhibition/promotional type stuff like the BMW series was.

It may be good fun, but from a manufacturer stand point it not much of a race. It gets your name out there in front of people but it doesn't really say much about your product. That may be why Bridgestone is looking to pull out of F1 (and can MotoGP be far behind?). Winning doesn't mean much when you're the only one competing.

Race Guzzi's, but race them against the rest and kick their a$$es.

God, I hate one make race series. If Guzzi wants to race then they should build a bike capable of it. If your bikes are so slow that you need to race them against themselves then you should not be racing them.

Well, "spec leagues" have been around for a long time, and despite the fact that they're never more than a supporting feature, provide some of the best fan enjoyment out there. They're also easier to get into, & so allow for more racer development. IIRC, Chris Carr got noticed by his performance in the 883 race series back in the late 80s? early 90s? & it wasn't long before he got a factory ride. Hard to break into the upper echelons w/o any feeder classes, & nobody stateside watches 125s race but other racers. (sad but true.)

Think of it this way: the starting grid at the Indy 500 would be noticeably thinner w/o Formula Vee.

I agree that I'd rather see Guzzi competing in something like the BEARS or whatchacallit, SportST that was proposed a year or so ago? Set up a formula that favors privateering on bikes off the showroom floor with some character [not just a field of cookie-cutter I4 crotch rockets, like the Superbike & Supersport classes.]

I dunno, there's got to be a middle ground that will provide for casual fan & racer interest both.

Well, "spec leagues" have been around for a long time, and despite the fact that they're never more than a supporting feature, provide some of the best fan enjoyment out there. They're also easier to get into, & so allow for more racer development. IIRC, Chris Carr got noticed by his performance in the 883 race series back in the late 80s? early 90s? & it wasn't long before he got a factory ride. Hard to break into the upper echelons w/o any feeder classes, & nobody stateside watches 125s race but other racers. (sad but true.)

I understand what you are saying, but I am not trying to debate the merit of support/feeder classes. They are clearly needed. I am saying that competing in a one make series has little value to the manufacturer, whether it is a brand of motorcycle or tire. There is little value in winning a race only you were in. The racing can be good entertainment or it can be boring. Being a spec series usually has little to do with the quality of the racing.

I don't recall Chris Carr getting noticed by competing in a spec class, unless you consider flat track in the hayday of the XR750 a spec class. Aaron Yates, Scott Zampach, and maybe a couple others got some attention on them in the 883 class, but it is likely that they could have achieved the same results, maybe even faster, by competing in the 600 supersport class.

But again, I am talking about the value of spec racer classes to the manufacturer, not the fans or the riders. Whether you enjoy people going around a race track at insanely slow speeds is a personal taste issue. I did it, and won't do it again.