Rear axle V11 Sport

Kiwi_Roy

I pulled the rear wheel on my V11 Sport to get new tires fitted.

If I look at the axle it has shiny spots as though the bearings have been spinning on it/

The bearings feel fine but I am wondering if a spacer or something is missing

From the right hand side I have

Large flat washer about 20 thou thick with a large hole (about 1")

Transmission

Spacer about 5/8 thick (item D in manual)

Wheel

Brake caliper

The picture in manual doesn't show the large washer, I'm wondering if it's supposed to be there

The hole in it looks as though it will fit outside the transmissions inner sleeve.

Can someone confirm if it's required.

Thanks in advance

Roy

The thin washer between the swing arm and the bevel box is not on my bike. I think your PO put it there to cover the needle bearing in the bevel box. that means your rear wheel is seriously (2 thou) out of alignment!

:rolleyes:

The thin washer between the swing arm and the bevel box is not on my bike. I think your PO put it there to cover the needle bearing in the bevel box. that means your rear wheel is seriously (2 thou) out of alignment!

:rolleyes:

Maybe it is only 1999 - 2001 models that have this washer. It is Guzzi part no. 37359005.

Nils

The washer is on my 2000 Sport and is shown in the Shop Manual, but not in the rear wheel reomoval; only in the rear transmission section (Section O, page 4).

Of course, it is not necessary to remove the bevel box to change a tire, but it is a good idea at every tire change to remove the right side caged needles, clean and regrease then install them rotated differently than they came out. They do not spin, but have considerable fore and aft load over a narrow range of rotation. They will get quite knackered over just a few needles if you don't move them regularly. And they pick up a lot of moisture and road scuzz.

My bike has the washer (02 lemans), according to the Moto Guzzi parts cd the v11sport and lemans and rosso corsa all have that same washer. The washer does recess into the housing of the bevel box requiring a little care on assembly (a little extra grease dont hurt) but gaurentees it is centred. Check fit of bearings on spindle, BC bearing has them in stock $5-$6 each. Have a machine shop build up the spindle in the affected areas if there is excessive wear. There is a good write up on the problematic bearing spacer between the wheel bearings here on the site. Oh yeah, dont forget to slide that little 5/8 spacer you referred to onto the spindle between bevel box and wheel assemblies. Have fun :helmet:

Thanks guys it looks like the washer is supposed to be there then.

The previous owner was very picky about such things.

I will take your advice and service the bearing.

Regards

Roy

Update

I looked at the part manual today, sure enough it shows the washer.

I think I will stick it in place with a couple of spots of silicone so it doesn't

drop down between the fork and inner bearing next time the wheel comes out.

Roy

My bike has the washer (02 lemans), according to the Moto Guzzi parts cd the v11sport and lemans and rosso corsa all have that same washer. The washer does recess into the housing of the bevel box requiring a little care on assembly (a little extra grease dont hurt) but gaurentees it is centred. Check fit of bearings on spindle, BC bearing has them in stock $5-$6 each. Have a machine shop build up the spindle in the affected areas if there is excessive wear. There is a good write up on the problematic bearing spacer between the wheel bearings here on the site. Oh yeah, dont forget to slide that little 5/8 spacer you referred to onto the spindle between bevel box and wheel assemblies. Have fun :helmet:

Correct,,, that spacer should be between 112.9mm-113.2mm thick, to prevent side loading on the wheel bearing.

Steve

huh?

Do you have access to a fax machine? My parts manual tells a different story..

I have the parts manual, I will take a look, thanks, Roy