dictator take over on Wildguzzi

What pisses me off is this dictator moderator squeezes his way on in just a few years has taken over control.. I like to be able to ask the people stuff about my wife's saturn or hear about Luthiers guitar building etc... but now strictly guzzi or nothing?

surely there could be other ways to control the real problem members rather than offend the people who are on the board because of it's broad range of discussion and expertise.

giving that power to a recluse on an Island off Alaska with a his own complete set of standards is too much for me so I left.

• Like 1

I never went to there, well I can't lie I think I have one or two posts but it wasn't my cup of tea to begin with, seems to be a common problem on all forums but acutely guzzi ones, too many learned individuals with strong opinions and possibly too much time on their hands. :huh2:

I've always thought there was too much off-topic crap on that forum, to the point of me not bothering to login there more than maybe once every couple of months. But the problem IMHO is not the NGC itself but that they refuse to open a separate section for it, like this one here. After years on this forum, this is part of my social network and sometimes it would be very frustrating not to be able to post NGC at all.

Then there's the issue of piss contests and flame wars. I do miss Ratchethack (the Dr Jekyll side of him) but I think Jaap did the right thing. And not a second too early. Mr Hyde just wouldn't stop begging for it. Obviously it's not a decision a moderator enjoys to do and apparently Luap hesitated long enough for some good guys to leave.

Maybe one can draw a parallel to the "probation" we had here. It did upset a lot of the good guys, and some did leave this forum just on principal. In hindsight a better alternative might have been to ban one or two of the offenders but I'm not too sure. I'm really really glad I don't have to make such decisions.

On 4/21/2010 at 3:25 AM, Admin Jaap said:

Aren't those US built Opels?

They were in the end, but early on (1986 through, I dunno, the late 90s) they were fully designed, built, and assembled in a dedicated plant that made all the major components on site (drive train, body panels, and chassis) They were quite good little cars and the plant was atypical for the industry. Then GM took it over, retooled it to build a heavy crossover vehicle then shut that part of it down. Of course, nobody said they knew what they were doing . . . in fact, now every one knows they don't.:rolleyes:

Next time, we'll talk about the Saturno . . . just to prove that our Forum Administrator is a well rounded sort.:thumbsup:

Obviously it's not a decision a moderator enjoys to do and apparently Luap hesitated long enough for some good guys to leave.

The good guys didn't leave because of the NGC, they left because of the idiot quotient over on WG that were constantly starting flame wars w/ the experts who were kind enough to answer their questions in the 1st place when the experts posted some NGC.

I remember one case, where someone [i forget who, but its irrelevant] would frequently post stories about his flying experiences in this or that private plane. All clearly labeled "NGC" in the thread title. Then the asshats over one WG would come out of the woodwork & complain about "why this guy was posting stories about flying, it isn't a Cessna forum, blah blah blah..." when in the threads they would start, the topic would frequently veer off course, with no small help from themselves, after the above expert had already answered their technical question within the 1st couple of posts, with the gentle reminder that the same question had been answered before & that with a little application on their part, they could have found the pre-existing answers on WG from 1, 2, 3 months before...

So, unfortunately for us, most of these really experienced & knowledgeable individuals who've been systematically chased off of WG by the idiot quotient over there, don't come to V11LM because they own older models of Guzzis, or non-sportbike models at least.

Just from 1st hand observation, I'd have to say that Greg posts even less frequently over there than here. Pete, bless him, posts more there than here, but that's more a function of his posting "how to" stuff on the old 5-speed trannies, etc. that doesn't necessarily fit in here: anything on the newer bikes he posts both places. Todd (RacerX), of course, left both boards to their own devices & started his own over at Guzzitech, but they've had so many crashes & retrograde user-interface steps that I pretty much don't bother with them any more, maybe checking in on what's new once a quarter or so. Nolan Woodbury has just left WG for good, apparently, deciding anything he needs to say can be said via his blog? website? at vintagemotorcycle.??? or somesuch. [i'm going to have to go over to WG & find the correct name & bookmark that site: Nolan's work is worth reading...] Ivar de Gier is no longer posting on WG, for obvious reasons, but that didn't prevent some of the aforementioned asshats from giving his *wife* sh!t for posting on Ivar's behalf when he was near the end & preparing to clean out his Guzzi museum, etc. Made me want to reach thru the screen & slap'em silly, that did!

The thing I don't understand is, if I can manage to go to WG forums, log in, click on "General Discussion" & then scroll down the list & only ctrl-click on "new" for the thread titles that look like they might have interesting content & thereby avoid 95% of the asshats on WG, why can't they do the same & avoid the people who have half a clue so we can all enjoy the resource w/o stumbling over each other? The clueful and the asshats could blithely coexist in the same etherspace w/o ever crossing paths, or at least w/o bumping heads often enough to lose our tempers & say "I'm outta here!" I guess that wouldn't work for the asshats, since they define themselves by being irritating to others... :oldgit:

Pete, bless him, posts more there than here, but that's more a function of his posting "how to" stuff the old trannies, etc. that doesn't necessarily fit in here:

:blush:

quite right - keep that sort of thing on the other side of the ocean, please

Hail Jaap, our benevolent dictator. I don't bother on any of the Guzzi sites nowadays - I dunno wether it's me or them but I just don't seem to fit. I feel most at home here, cos there seems to be a real mix of folk, it's not just a back slapping, one view, self congratulatory clique, & it's truly international. I think the two folk Jaap sent away brought it on themselves - he gave em enough rope & sure enough... shame cos they were both interesting characters but just too far up themselves to consider other perspectives...

Jaap - have you considered a section for older Guzzis within this site?

KB :sun: