Grease nipple a myth

galaxiid

Bob,

Could you post a picture of your "modified" grease gun fitting? It would be helpful to know where and how much to grind, and the right fitting to start with to make this a "2 minute job."

TIA, docc

I agree with Ponti all that talk about removing this and that i did what he did get a swivel head grease tip file it down a little be careful i over did my first one and have at it,fiddly yes but a lot less hassle than dismantling the rear end,i can never get pics to this site but will endeavor to do so as i have a good shot of said grease fitting.

Stu.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my '03 Cafe Sport I have greased the two rear unijoint grease nipples (on the driveshaft). No worries. This is straight forward. The front unijoint is suppossed to have a grease nipple. This topic is discussed in one thread here.

I went to much trouble to remove the three allen bolts that secure the cover over the front unijoint. This to move it back and around to try and locate a grease nipple. And does one exist? No, I could see nothing at all. So is this a myth or did MG drop the nipple off this model?

I can see if a nipple did exist then it would be incredibly difficult to access it. But I honestly searched and looked and mulled over this before deciding that no there is no front grease nipple on the unijoint. Am I right? Is there a thread someone can point me to that can resolve this issue once and for all?

Thanks in anticipation...

On my '03 Cafe Sport I have greased the two rear unijoint grease nipples (on the driveshaft). No worries. This is straight forward. The front unijoint is suppossed to have a grease nipple. This topic is discussed in one thread here.

I went to much trouble to remove the three allen bolts that secure the cover over the front unijoint. This to move it back and around to try and locate a grease nipple. And does one exist? No, I could see nothing at all. So is this a myth or did MG drop the nipple off this model?

I can see if a nipple did exist then it would be incredibly difficult to access it. But I honestly searched and looked and mulled over this before deciding that no there is no front grease nipple on the unijoint. Am I right? Is there a thread someone can point me to that can resolve this issue once and for all?

Thanks in anticipation...

Looks like Galaxiid found his grease fitting in Post #22 on page 2.

Hey, Stu, definitely get a pic up of your modified grease gun.:pic:

ame='gommista' date='10 June 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1276150037' post='171457']

Looks like Galaxiid found his grease fitting in Post #22 on page 2.

Hey, Stu, definitely get a pic up of your modified grease gun.:pic:

This is it the swivel head filed down a little,and now for the pic I hope this works!It did I'm a freekin Genius,"Not".

Stu.

DSC00988.JPG

• 1 month later...

In absence of a lift if you have rope, pulleys, and a couple eye bolts in the ceiling you can remove the seat and haul the bike up. Make sure you secure the front of the bike.

Why not use a CanyonDancer and take both ends up?

In absence of a lift if you have rope, pulleys, and a couple eye bolts in the ceiling you can remove the seat and haul the bike up. Make sure you secure the front of the bike.

Why not use a CanyonDancer and take both ends up?

In the end, I'm not at all sure that greasing the front u-j matters.

After 6000 miles, the front u-j will be stiff. At 32,000 miles and after a lot of greasing, it is still stiff. I have seen many like it. YMMV.