Green O Ring in the Oil Lines to the Oil Cooler

Scotch

HI,

I apologize in advance if this is covered somewhere.

I did look and I did not see it.

OilNipple.gif

I am buttoning up the lower sump on my Rosso, and have a question about the oil send and return nipples that come out of the sump on the front and connect to the Oil Cooler.

I have attached a photo of my fittings. if you look closely I have fitted a green viton oring to the one on the right in a place that I THINK it may belong. There was nothing on these fitting when I took them off, but these orings are in all the parts diagrams, so I ordered them when I got my new gaskets and crush washers etc...

I cannot find a good diagram or description of how these should be installed in any of my resources. I have seen other posts talk of grooves in the fittings, but mine just have threads.

Comments, Suggestions?

Scott

HI,

I apologize in advance if this is covered somewhere.

I did look and I did not see it.

OilNipple.gif

I am buttoning up the lower sump on my Rosso, and have a question about the oil send and return nipples that come out of the sump on the front and connect to the Oil Cooler.

I have attached a photo of my fittings. if you look closely I have fitted a green viton oring to the one on the right in a place that I THINK it may belong. There was nothing on these fitting when I took them off, but these orings are in all the parts diagrams, so I ordered them when I got my new gaskets and crush washers etc...

I cannot find a good diagram or description of how these should be installed in any of my resources. I have seen other posts talk of grooves in the fittings, but mine just have threads.

Comments, Suggestions?

Scott

Wouldn't the o-ring go on the other end? You know, the side w/ a pair of flat surfaces to seal [crankcase to fitting] as opposed to the end w/ a taper fitting [fitting to oil line]?

But that's just my guess: I'm as much at sea as you are as to which is correct...

The fitting portion at the top is a tube seat. There is (or should be) a taper(37 degree i think) in the line to match the fitting. This will tighten to seal against any leaks. The bottom portion of the fitting might use the o-ring provided there is a taper in the threaded portion the fitting screws into. If not, you can use a copper or auminum washer to seal against a leak.

HTH

Wouldn't the o-ring go on the other end? You know, the side w/ a pair of flat surfaces to seal [crankcase to fitting] as opposed to the end w/ a taper fitting [fitting to oil line]?

But that's just my guess: I'm as much at sea as you are as to which is correct...

The "other side" (flat side) has the crush alumininum washers.

My bike came without the green orings, but my bike had a slight leak, and I am trying to put everything back "correctly".

The parts books and workshop manuals show this thing in an exploded diagram, so I really dont know exactly how it is installed, but this should be the right end.

The part number for this is

oil hose oring, green viton, return to rear pan and oil cooler

[Part Number: 90706010]

The fitting portion at the top is a tube seat. There is (or should be) a taper(37 degree i think) in the line to match the fitting. This will tighten to seal against any leaks. The bottom portion of the fitting might use the o-ring provided there is a taper in the threaded portion the fitting screws into. If not, you can use a copper or auminum washer to seal against a leak.

HTH

You are exactly correct about the taper fitting. I am just trying to fit a part into the mix that I see on parts diagrams and manuals.

oil hose oring, green viton, return to rear pan and oil cooler

[Part Number: 90706010]

I am wondering if someone before me has replaced the nipples and that there should be a groove or something to install the oring into.

I do not know who illustrates parts in parts catalogues. I think someone throws all the parts in the floor and someone else has an "artist's conception" of how they go together. Guzzi is not exclusive in this area.

The last time i changed the oil in my bike, when i took off the hoses there was a o ring on the tapered end, If you look inside the hose fitting isnt there a groove for the o ring to sit in!!!!.I vaguely remember putting it back inside the hose fitting :oldgit:

Someone may have put it there. The tube seat does not work with an o-ring. Discuss this with a store that sells hydraulic hoses and fittings or go to Weatherhead, Parker, etc. and check it out on the internet.

Someone may have put it there. The tube seat does not work with an o-ring. Discuss this with a store that sells hydraulic hoses and fittings or go to Weatherhead, Parker, etc. and check it out on the internet.

Yup

I put it together today

Left out the little green orings with no home

Put a dab of blue thread locker on it just to make me feel better

And filled it up with oil

No leaks from the tubes

:thumbsup:

Thanks all

Scott

Yup

I put it together today

Left out the little green orings with no home

Put a dab of blue thread locker on it just to make me feel better

And filled it up with oil

No leaks from the tubes

:thumbsup:

Thanks all

Scott

Scott,

The little green o rings go on the straight line tubes that push into the fittings on the pan.

Bill Bassett

Scott,

The little green o rings go on the straight line tubes that push into the fittings on the pan.

Bill Bassett

Bill,

I had black orings with a different part number for that. Assuming you mean the tubes inside the pan that connect the oil filter assembly to the pan. But I'll check my parts list and diagram again when I go home.

!Thanks!

Scott

Bill,

I had black orings with a different part number for that. Assuming you mean the tubes inside the pan that connect the oil filter assembly to the pan. But I'll check my parts list and diagram again when I go home.

!Thanks!

Scott

Bill,

!Thanks!

Scott

Scott,

If you drop the oil pan without taking off the line on the rear, that is where the green o ring goes, Undo the fitting and slide the tube out of the fitting, now you can take the pan away from the bike and clean it out. Look at the projecting tube that slides into the fitting and you'll see either the green o ring or the groove that it's supposed to be in. Use a little grease or oil so it doesn't get damaged when assembling.

Bill