Power Commander - Its Here

Guest Jim in Dublin, OH

Guest Jim in Dublin, OH

Got a great deal on a Power Commander and want to know if there is anything outside the normal instructions that I need to worry about. Also are there any newer maps to download. I have a 2000 - V11 with Mistral cans. No other mods. Thanks,

Jim

Guest jlburgess

Jim, I'm on my 11th iteration of a map for your configuration. I'll try to email it to you tomorrow if you want. I tried the Mistral map posted on the Dynojet website and didn't like it. It was too fat around 4000 rpm and seemed to make the bike ping too.

The one I'm using is based on the dynojet base map, but richened up a bit at all rpm to compensate for increased exhaust flow and I've eliminated a surge at low rpm/throttle position. Pulls dang hard up top and the bike is getting 38 mpg to boot. The only thing I'm still working on is the 4000 rpm large throttle response, but I'm starting to think it is due to the crossover limitations. Considering adding a Stucci at a later date, but it's working pretty good now anyway.

John - Oregon

Guest JohnInNH

My PC-III is here and installed. My 02 V11 Le Mans now has a Stucchi X-pipe and Mistral Carbon Ovals. Stock Airbox and filter. The map the PC-III came with (M706-001) is worse than the stock map so I have to change it till I get a custom map made. Hopefully soon.

The folks at Power Commander were a big help. I have a Palm adapter and a "Consumer Power Adapter" on order. This way I can flash the M706-003 in place of the 001 map. I will use the 003 map till I have the custom map made.

The palm adapter will be a big help as I can travel with a few maps and pick and choose or update as needed. It will quickly load maps stored on the Palm.

Why change maps if you have a custom map made? If I ride to Denver I could have a map for the 5000 ft elevation and load it when I get up there. Seems handy to me.

A future release of the palm software will let you edit maps eliminating the need for the PC software. Just use your palm device to edit and load maps. Very cool!

The Consumer Power Adapter lets you use a 9 volt battery to power the PC-III while off the bike. A use full item, and to me well worth the $10. You need it to load maps with out the PC-III installed on the bike.

Think about these "accessories" at the time of purchase if you buy a PC-III. It may save you some time.

Guest Guest_dlaing

If you are going to use the buttons to dial it in, the buttons effect the mixture at corresponding Low, Med, and High Throttle positions. I was under the impression that they related directly to RPM, but they correspond directly to throttle position.

Low 0,2,5 degrees; Med 10,20,40 degrees; and High 60,80,100 degrees.

After Certified Power Commander Tech, Todd Eagan clued me in, I tweaked my stock bike with 001 map and got much better results. I was running too rich in the Low and Mid ranges.

But there is no substitute for dyno tuning YOUR bike. Not just for maximized power, but for having the mixture CORRECT throughout all RPMs and Throttle Positions.

Guest JohnInNH

Update:

I took my Office computer apart and carried it down the 2 flights of stairs, and brought it out to the garage some 30 yards away. Flashed the PC-III with the -003 map. Lugging the 19" CRT, and full size CPU was worth it.

The test ride was wonderful. I still have some on and off throttle jerk issues, but the map is a huge improvement over the 001 map which came with the PC-III.

I found myself running outta road in a hurry, and getting almost into trouble as the bike hits speeds MUCH faster than before. I need to get used to the difference! 2 close calls ... whew....

Todd E. E-mailed me with some values to "fix" the abrupt off fuel, to on fuel jerk. I will make the edits and see how it comes out.

He said: "Add 20% fuel at the zero%, 10% fuel at the 2%, and 5% fuel at the 5 % throttle positions from 4K RPM up."

I plan on starting at his recommended values, then back off (lower the values) till I reach the minimum needed to "fix" the problem for my bike.

I guess lugging the PC to the garage and back every day will be good for me!

I wish I could leave the PC in the garage

I love the way the bike drives, and can imagine how different a custom map can benefit a bike. At least I can drive the Le Mans w/o worrying about burning a valve till I get it to the Dynojet for custom mapping.

I have an appointment for 8/30/02 for a custom map at Manchester NH, Naults Honda Ducati 603-669-7220. They say just under 5 hours for the map.