Griso 8v speedo stopped working

Morris Sod

Griso SE 2.jpg I have joined the ranks of new Griso owners in March this year with the SE model. (beautiful)

3K later I have no longer a speedo that tells me the speed. Just 00kph. Also the dash displays a SERVICE sign and the little red triangle warning light stays on.

I ran a diagnostic check on the dash and found the ECU display showed file #56 had a cross against it. According the dealer this inicated SPEED SENSOR was at fault. All this occurred after giving Griso a bath. I am particularly careful about taping up orifices so as to reduce penetration of water during baths. In this case it appears that the SPEED SENSOR connection may have got wet, consequently I dutifully located What I thought to be the offending sensor connection and sensor and gave it a good dose of electrical cleaner spray. I even checked all the fuses and sprayed them also.

Unfortunely to no avail. The warning still stays on. I have even tried to cancel the fault alarm through the dash diagnostic file.

Hey Pete maybe this is one for you. You being a multi Griso owner? Any suggestions as to how to get my speed back?

Just as an aside. I have to relate this. 100_0643.jpgI took the tappet covers off to check tappets at first service. I had no problems with the spark plug cover as I had been warned.

I shone a torch into the tube of of the plug and could see some foreign object next to the plug. This bike is brand new mind, only 1546km on the clock. I extracted from the tube with long wire tweezers a complete intact Monarch butterfly,100_0637.jpg slightly dehydrated to the max but complete. Where did he come from I asked, was this a new way of exporting an over supply of Monach butterfly from Italy, if so it failed dismally.

If anyone can answer my puzzles I'd be most pleased,

Cheers Morris

Speedo sensors are complete shit. Some of 'em seem to work forever, some fall in a sceaming heap at the first drop of rain. Some of 'em seem to dry out and work again, some of 'em don't. Warranty it and seal the new one carefully with a hot glue gun or even some silastic, especially around the bit where the cable enters the sensor. Mine only does it if I leave it out in the rain! If I ride in the rain, presumably 'cos the rear wheel creates a vortex that keeps the sensor dry, it keeps working. Then it will start working again when it dries out.

As for the butterfly? You collected it while riding. Look at the pic below and you'll see there is a gllery/vent into the spark plug recess in the head from the front to the back to allow a flow of air through the casting. You probably smacked into it at speed and it got blown right through!

4350421770_14a6dbf1ef_o.jpg

Pete

Speedo sensors are complete shit. Some of 'em seem to work forever, some fall in a sceaming heap at the first drop of rain. Some of 'em seem to dry out and work again, some of 'em don't. Warranty it and seal the new one carefully with a hot glue gun or even some silastic, especially around the bit where the cable enters the sensor. Mine only does it if I leave it out in the rain! If I ride in the rain, presumably 'cos the rear wheel creates a vortex that keeps the sensor dry, it keeps working. Then it will start working again when it dries out.

As for the butterfly? You collected it while riding. Look at the pic below and you'll see there is a gllery/vent into the spark plug recess in the head from the front to the back to allow a flow of air through the casting. You probably smacked into it at speed and it got blown right through!

4350421770_14a6dbf1ef_o.jpg

Pete

Hey Pete,

I knew I could count on you. Do I have to go and get the computer reset to eliminate the failure warning on the dash board or will it go away when the sensor drys out. Will the sensor dry out or should I blow dry it?

If I have to get it reset, and there is no actual part to replace, how does Guzzi accept this as a waranty claim. I need to travel up to Coffs for the computer hook up, is there another way?

The sensor is at the back wheel, beside the brake caliper. It is a part that can be replaced.

Look for the black wire that runs by the brake line. The black wire goes to the small black sensor block.

Send me yer vin#, address etc. and I'll slap in a warranty claim on it and send you my spare/stocker. As Dave says, the sensor is the little black widget bolted to the inside top of the CARC adjacent to the wheel. Follow the black wire that runs beside the brake line to it, it's held in place by 2 x 3mm(?) allen bolts. Follow the wire up under the plastic and it plugs into a connector under the seat.

When you get the new one I suggest sealing it yourself prior to installation with some sort of proprietory sealant to make sure the water can't get in.

Pete