rear drive seal

docc

On the fourth brand of oil now. Seemed to help at first, but then everything does. At first. Had high hopes for the Lucas Hub Oil designed to address these pesky leaks in heavy equipment hubs. Seemed to help. At first.

When I changed the large seal in 2010, it stopped maybe 80% of the leaking. Maybe more. But the splatter persisted and I embarked on the odyssey above with the fractured case and all. Even then the "inner" seal (the small one deep inside the case), leaked out through the left side and dripped down onto the wheel. It was only 3,000 miles after the "repair" that the right side drip appeared. Looking at the diagrams, I can see no other seals except the forward (pinion) seal which has shown no interest in the fray.

If it starts now, I know who to call for bringing it up . . .:grin:

I'm off next week

Want me to fix it

On the fourth brand of oil now. Seemed to help at first, but then everything does. At first. Had high hopes for the Lucas Hub Oil designed to address these pesky leaks in heavy equipment hubs. Seemed to help. At first.

When I changed the large seal in 2010, it stopped maybe 80% of the leaking. Maybe more. But the splatter persisted and I embarked on the odyssey above with the fractured case and all. Even then the "inner" seal (the small one deep inside the case), leaked out through the left side and dripped down onto the wheel. It was only 3,000 miles after the "repair" that the right side drip appeared. Looking at the diagrams, I can see no other seals except the forward (pinion) seal which has shown no interest in the fray.

If it starts now, I know who to call for bringing it up . . .:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Todd at MPH for getting the seals to me and especially the The Perfesser Hisself, Andy, for talking such care in getting the drive resealed. And taking me to school, as always:

The large outer seal started leaking again because the mating surface was gouged in several places by the 'last installer' (me :blush: ).

Apparently, it is not a good idea to simply pry the old seal out with a flat blade screwdriver. :homer: He cleaned the surface up nicely and reseated the seal just a few thousandths "proud" to introduce it to a fresh surface.

The smaller inner seal looked to be in good condition, but there was a substantial amount of swarf from where the last seal had been beat or pressed into the case by the 'last installer' (NOT me). Can't be sure that was why it leaked, but it was a notable mess.

Andy really impressed me with how he cleaned everything, felt of everything, and caressed everything both apart and back together. Like riding the mountain roads, here's a guy that makes these things look easy. :luigi::race:

Thanks, Perfesser! :notworthy:

Your welcome....but what the audience really wants to know is ....

Does the damn thing leak or not?

Andy

With just a short 35 mile jaunt in ambient 90F, no drip anywhere. Better already!

The acid test: next weekend's South'n Spine Raid. Two years ago, that's when this ugly bugger raised its head for the first time.

I said there would be a tech session at the Spine Raid. I just don't want it to be what kind of rag works best for gear oil . . .:unsure:

Short ride tomorrow and then maybe 100 miles plus on Saturday over to Sloan's Vintage Show in Murfreesboro, Tennessee (our nearest Moto Guzzi dealer).

Wish me the best. And keep that rag in your pocket . . .

• 1 year later...

12 month report on the rear drive seals, 3300 miles (5000 km). All is well after adjusting the oil level downward slightly. It had continued to mist around the vent a bit otherwise.

Once again, many thanks to  :notworthy:Andy York :notworthy: for the expert assistance solving one of the biggest annoyances my Sport has presented. 85,000 miles/ 137.000 km now.

• 1 month later...

Oh, man - it's all good! Getting ready to ride off to the Appalachians for the Ninth South'n Spine Raid with nothing more to do than a clean and polish (don't wanna bring a ratted-out old dog-eared spine-frame to keep such nice company!)

Really, I think I just kept filling the rear drive by "volume" and never realized how much gear oil (especially RedLine ShockProof HEAVYWEIGHT) stays clinging to all those surfaces. I over filled, then every thing that could go wrong: did.

Moral of the (long, drawn out, aggravating, expensive) story: don't over fill!

• 3 years later...

The leak from the inner seal has returned after five years, ~20000 miles/ 32.250km. :bbblll:

I've ordered the seals and the O-ring from MGCycle. Now, I wish I could remember how Andy got it all apart (and together again). But, that was five years ago . . . I don't remember any special bearing puller.

I've been tempted to try and "flush" it out with a series of gearoil changes, but all that proved to be a waste of time when this happened before. I do wonder if some swarf was left over in the case from the bad work, that was done in Kansas, may have found its way into the seal.

*nuts* :(

IMG_1846.jpg

How's the condition of the axle? If there is significant wear (over100,000 miles) or longitudinal scratches, could that let some oil escape - even if the seals are in good condition?

I'm not sure. I just looked at the parts diagram again and still can't tell. My best guess is that the axle only rides on the inner bearing races, not the seals. So I think I may have asked an irrelevant question above.

But since you have ordered seals, you will be able to test if the inner diameter of the seal is the same size as the axle.

I had concluded that if the seal sealed on the axle, the gear oil would pour out when the axle is removed.

I was trying to cook up a way to use Chuck's cellophane clearing technique that is known to rescue fork seals.

The inner seal, itself, is apparently identical to fork seals.