rear drive seal

docc

• 1 month later...

Yet, this does not smell like gearoil (you can see where I sampled it).  And the splatter doesn't cover the wheel all the way 'round. Could I be over-greasing the drive hub and it finally slings out after a few hundred miles?

IMG_4548.jpg

• 1 month later...

Geez. This is wearing me down. :huh: Eight-frikkin'-years of leaking rear drives.  :bbblll:

How the hell does gearoil get in here? It's not the large outer seal. So, it's the inner seal and oil is running along the axle to the left? Only a matter of time before it starts the nasty drip out of the right side?

IMG_4840.jpg

Docc we always go one of 2 ways, take the easy simple option or the most complicated one. The obvious option for oil leaks is the seal and the less obvious is the flange/spacer it runs on. This can be out of round, under or oversize ( oversize  burns out the seal) or it can have a microscopic surface blemish which goes unnoticed unless you look at it with a glass or are specifically looking for it.

The other issue is sometime a worn bearing with too much play asking the seal to do too much.

Years ago a friend of mine had a persistent oil leak from the clutch seal on 1986 Ducati Hailwood replica since new. Dry clutch on these with a large seal even bigger than the Guzzi bevel box seal. He just kept putting in new seals and got frustrated with it. I asked him to show me the primary gear so I could inspect the seal flange and there on the flange was a tiny spiral mark from the original grinding operation at the factory. Chuck it up in the lathe and hit it with some 1200 emery and polish it up and issue solved. He just kept looking at the obvious and simple option.

The other area is of course the seal housing and its surface condition and concentricity as well as the control of the seal depth.

Have you been using the OEM directional seals?

Might be time for a complete strip down, measure up and detailed inspection of the other stuff.

Ciao

This is the replacement reardrive with about 50,000 miles (half of my take-off reardrive). I presume it has the original seals.

I do have a pair of OEM seals to attempt. What a gumption trap that this reardrive is leaking just like my last one.

This is the replacement reardrive with about 50,000 miles (half of my take-off reardrive). I presume it has the original seals.

I do have a pair of OEM seals to attempt. What a gumption trap that this reardrive is leaking just like my last one.

Oh ok docc. Yes painfull.

Ciao

Definitely the most plaguing annoyance of my V11 ownership. I'm pretty sure there is a good tutorial thread here, somewhere, about getting the deep bearing out to replace the inner seal.

I suppose a bearing puller is required?

Definitely the most plaguing annoyance of my V11 ownership. I'm pretty sure there is a good tutorial thread here, somewhere, about getting the deep bearing out to replace the inner seal.

I suppose a bearing puller is required?

Which bearing do you mean? I have a bevel box in bits at the moment, so I can powder coat the housing. I may have at picture to help.

The "inner seal" (right side/ smaller seal) is pressed beneath the reardrive's center bearing?  That bearing has to to be removed and replaced to set the inner seal?

This is the bearing that the old-time Guzzi guys *dropped* the reardrive onto wood blocks after heating to dislodge the bearing.  Unfortunately, this technique fractured the large bell flange on my original reardrive. (I didn't do it!)

*Not* a recommended technique for the V11 reardrive! :o

Ok, so two different rear drives leaked in the same way? If that's true, then what parts were not changed? Does the axle have a scratch or worn spot on it from the 30 or so tire changes you've done?