rear drive seal

docc

Having had the privilege of installing, running, and inspecting this secondary reardrive, I must emphasize, again, how important it is to seal the right side of the bevelbox from moisture, nastiness, and road grime.  This starts inboard of the swingarm and includes the exposed needle bearing cage and its vulnerable races. My early Sport did not have the washer installed there.

Absolutely make sure yours has that washer over the needle cage. Grease it all really well. This time, I used the Klübar Staburags to prevent anything form getting in.

Another V11 Achilles' Heel revealed! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'll pursue restoring the backup reardrive.

Before you buy bits for your restoration, it is worth your time to look at the parts book for the 2004 model V11. This gives you part numbers for improved (but more expensive) oil seals made of Viton.
  • Like 1

Having had the privilege of installing, running, and inspecting this secondary reardrive, I must emphasize, again, how important it is to seal the right side of the bevelbox from moisture, nastiness, and road grime.  This starts inboard of the swingarm and includes the exposed needle bearing cage and its vulnerable races. My early Sport did not have the washer installed there.

Absolutely make sure yours has that washer over the needle cage. Grease it all really well. This time, I used the Klübar Staburags to prevent anything form getting in.

The bevel box I am overhauling will have a little NAS516-1 recessed grease nipple in the housing which will allow me to pump an occasional small squirt of grease into the cavity between that needle bearing and captive axle spacer washer.  

• Like 1

The bevel box I am overhauling will have a little NAS516-1 recessed grease nipple in the housing which will allow me to pump an occasional small squirt of grease into the cavity between that needle bearing and captive axle spacer washer.  

Looking forward to a photo of that!

• 3 months later...

Freeze spray, heat gun, and a freezer. Makes that inner bearing a breeze as long as you take the temperature high enough (100ºC).

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

What an awesome solution, Marty! Welldone! :luigi::thumbsup:

Let's all be acutely aware how critical it is to keep that area well greased lest the nose of the crown wheel become ruined from moisture infiltration and the drive will so longer seal.

IMG_4845.jpg

• Like 2