rear drive seal

docc

Ok, so two different rear drives leaked in the same way? If that's true, then what parts were not changed? Does the axle have a scratch or worn spot on it from the 30 or so tire changes you've done?

I think you'll find the inner seal runs on the nose of the crownwheel not the axle.

As I mentioned its also important to use OEM directional seals in these applications where the seal is difficult to access and or requires a lot of disassembly to replace.

Ciao

• Like 2

Ok, so two different rear drives leaked in the same way? If that's true, then what parts were not changed? Does the axle have a scratch or worn spot on it from the 30 or so tire changes you've done?

I think you'll find the inner seal runs on the nose of the crownwheel not the axle.

Ciao

That is my understanding. The seal runs on the nose of the crown wheel and the overlying bearing (#12) spins the crown wheel on the axle.

And makes the inner (right side) seal hard to get to.

Just a thought.

What’s the outrigger bearing in the box on the RH side like? The one that allows the reactive movement of the box on the axle. While in theory this shouldn’t make any difference if it’s all rusted out to buggery and the box is able to chatter about it might over-tax the inner seal maybe?

• Like 1

Pete, you refer to the right side/ outboard "needle bearing cage"?

I did not think it was load bearing, but the replacement box "sleeve" was in bad shape, so I substituted the sleeve from my original box.

Maybe a case of stacked tolerances?

Pic 4 - Close View of Bearing, Seal, and floating Axle Spacer Washer.

The comment in this picture is not quite right.

I used a punch you can see in picture 1 to reach around the spacer washer and seal, to just catch the edge of the bearing outer race. When the housing is heated to about 100°C, the bearing will move with progressive taps around the diameter.

Slide4.JPG

On 4/11/2018 at 10:13 AM, andy york said:

Docc,  Is this not what we did to yours a couple years ago?

Yessir.  I think that was in 2012. That lasted over twenty thousand miles. (Thanks, again, for that!)  That original reardrive had so many issues, I decided to mount this used one with half the miles.

I'm hoping to install the inner seal and realize success. I appreciate both you and Marty sharing how to get that bearing out and in for access to the seal.

So, is the inner seal the only source for where this leak is appearing? (along the axle, spilling into the junction of the crown wheel and rear wheel drive hub before slinging out) :huh2:

Like, what have I found here?

IMG_4842.jpg