rear drive seal

docc

Should I *polish* that "coated" axle before installing?

Depends how easy it slides through the bearing inner races docc. Its hand fitting, if it needs to be hammered in with a soft faced hammer then its too tight. It should slide through with the hand and no play. Its the stack up clamping action on the bearing inner races that stops the inner races from rotating on the axle not some tight semi interfearance fit.

I think the axle is painfull enough to fit anyway without the extra impost of a tight fit in the inner races.

The method I would use if its too tight docc would be to chuck it up in the lathe and with some WD40 and 400 wet and dry in a 2 inch strip just polish it down until the through the bearings is "nice"

Without the lathe then its vertically in the vice and the same method wrapping the paper as far around the axle as you can and reposition to do the bit you missed. Take is slowly with as many fit and trys as you need. Its old school hand fit engineering.   

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got the two pinch bolts for the shaft ordered from another source.

Frustrated, I ran a die down the two original 8,8 bolts. Does this act damage the integrity of the fasteners?

I feel probably no major damage. I would use the bolts to get yourself back on the road then replace later. Of course most modern bolt threads are rolled rather than cut to give a good grain structure. You will still have the basic good grain structure just trimmed here and there as you cleaned up the thread. Don't worry about it too much.

Thanks for that. Word is my new bolts are (still) on the way.  It really is way too cold here to ride, and they are brining the roads, so all is well.

I suppose I do worry about doing something stupid I do that sends my shaft loose at speed. :huh:

Hey docc, have you put a vernier gauge on the axles to compare? Might be an idea before any sanding?

Mine has the same unpolished axle fitted and it can take a wiggle to re-fit on occasion. These days i smear it in moly which helps.

HNY everyone!

Docc.. pinch bolts are very lightly loaded.. unless you are one Pete's "shaved apes." :) To prove it to yourself, put in an axle bolt and just snug up the pinch bolts. Now try to turn the axle bolt.

@stewgnu, looks like the new axle is a few thousandths under the original at the steps. The tightest fit is at the end steps where the axle seats in the swingarm.

There was plenty of moly on that axle from the leaks! :bbblll: (I have always wiped it with BelRay Waterproof grease on installation.

I cleaned up the flattened threads that the knuckle-dragger (me) munted, but they didn't come up sharp. I'll just wait for my four bucks worth of parts and re-use the Schnorr washers.

Looks like no riding 'til next year . . . :glare:

Heh, right? We're getting your arctic blast starting tonight.

As it turns out, The Sport's 100,000 mile downtime is going to total almost three months. But the first half was during the stinking South'n summer heat, and now while cold.  Like I said before, you know you love your bike when she still looks gorgeous taken apart on the lift . . .

Plus, she took me to another  SpineRaid in between. :race::drink::bike:

• Like 1

As it turns out, The Sport's 100,000 mile downtime is going to total almost three months. But the first half was during the stinking South'n summer heat, and now while cold.  Like I said before, you know you love your bike when she still looks gorgeous taken apart on the lift . . .

You obviously need another Guzzi.

What do you think I'm squirreling away all my Moderator pay for? (Well, once I pay off these two bolts plus shipping-from-the-frikkin'-moon).

What do you think I'm squirreling away all my Moderator pay for? (Well, once I pay off these two bolts plus shipping-from-the-frikkin'-moon).

you don't get paid enough for the fine job you do here Docc. We're lucky to have you :thumbsup:

• Like 1