Gearbox and Rear Drive - What Oil

FalcoLion

I am sure this questions had been answered before but SEARCH option is no longer working. It spits out 200 ridiculous Search results. I would appreciate recommendations on which oil to use in Gearbox (brand and model) and which one to use in Final Drive. Also original manual calls for 20 mil of AGIP ROCOL ASO/R oil. I have no idea what that is.

Please chime in and let me know which oil is being used in your bike tranny

Thank you in advance

I assume this is the oil Red Line Oil Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil. Few more questions.

1. The owner manual calls for W90 oil so I assume 75W250/75W is Ok. Is that correct?

2. How often do you change oil in the gearbox and Final drive? Do you use factory recommended intervals or do you rely on Redline recommendation that it doesn't need to be changed (I managed to get some search results and someone mentioned that)

Thanks

I assume this is the oil Red Line Oil Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil. Few more questions.

1. The owner manual calls for W90 oil so I assume 75W250/75W is Ok. Is that correct?

2. How often do you change oil in the gearbox and Final drive? Do you use factory recommended intervals or do you rely on Redline recommendation that it doesn't need to be changed (I managed to get some search results and someone mentioned that)

Thanks

On your Q#2 - I change it every other engine oil change.

I've run Royal Purple, now I have Mobil 1 gear oil in it with a 5% moly (Dow GearGuard M)addition.

I like the redline as well but its so good that it seeps through the seals in my rear drive. I tried replacing both seals but it still seeped through. When I switched to a conventional gear oil the leaking promptly stopped.

I still use the redline in my transmission. The redline only seeped through the rear drive after highway riding at over 70mph but I do ride like that pretty often so I had to make a change.

Hi Vlad,

I'm doing my first change this week or next.Just got 2 quarts of Redline SP.That should be plenty for front and back with some left over.Some have said what the manual calls for ,and what the boxes hold, can be different amounts,so be careful not to over/under fill.

They're are several posts about theories about how much to put in ,you may want to do a search ,here's one of the recent one's that I saw, http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15872

Also someone suggested putting mineral spirits in the box after draining, let them sit overnight and then draining the solution before filling.Should get most of the gunk out.

I am also combining lubing the shaft,examining the pawl spring and lube shift linkage(shifting has been bad lately) while the box is empty.

Michael

Mineral oil is not something I would mix with a transmission.

If I were going to do anything I would get the trans. hot ( by going for a ride) and drain the fluid with the bike on a centerstand.I would allow it to drain overnight and then install the drain plug, refill and go for a SHORT ride before rechecking the fluid level.

:stupid: 'cept e don't seem that stoopid, just put new oil in on a timely basis...the rest is proved to be WAY too anal over the period of roughly the "internal combustion age", factoring in improvments in metalurgy, etc...

• 3 weeks later...

I like the redline as well but its so good that it seeps through the seals in my rear drive. I tried replacing both seals but it still seeped through. When I switched to a conventional gear oil the leaking promptly stopped.

I still use the redline in my transmission. The redline only seeped through the rear drive after highway riding at over 70mph but I do ride like that pretty often so I had to make a change.

So, it looks as though Red Line Oil Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil is liked by many and is Ok in transmission but rear drive should get something else and preferably use 5% moly (Dow GearGuard M) addition.

It would be nice if a few more people can chime in with their preferences/recommendations/experience.

Just use a good synthetic gear oil.

I have used all three redlines at various times ...red,blue, and yellow.

used mobil 1

now i'm using scheaffers synthetic green

i like to underfill mine by about an ounce....this way it doesn't spit it out

the vent if you go high speed for any distance.keep an eye on the sight glass

in the tranny if you ride in the rain. some folks get a little water in the tranny

vent...ends up looking brown.

happy trails:rasta:

andy

75,000 miles