Crankshaft interchangability

cycles4fun

I'm looking for a crankshaft for my 2003 V1100 Lemans motor. I came across a 2003 V1100EV crank and looked it up in the parts catalog and noted the two have different numbers. The only thing different I could think of may be a different balance factor due to the heavier flywheel of the EV or perhaps a different weight of the lower compression pistons. Does anyone have a definitive answer? If it is a balance issue could I not just have it rebalanced to my pistons / rods? Thanks in advance

What happened to your c/shaft ? Watch eBay for people parting out these bikes.............

Long story, see my post "BEWARE- clean out your crankcase breather". Really a major bummer. I can easily remachine my crank journals (rod journal is fine)and use 1st undersize bearings but it would be cheaper to replaced the crank with a good used one. Plus these cranks are nitrided and from what I have been told turning it .010" (.025mm) would minimize the effectiveness of the nitriding. The last crank I nitrided cost me 300.00 bucks! Ouch

I looked to see if you responded to my post but it must have gotten lost. Contact www.egge.com to see if they can rebabbit your stock bearing shells. They are in SantaFe Springs,Ca. Ph # 866-534-3443. You might have to provide them with a LOT of measurements or send your c/shaft, rods & rod bearings to them to get a correct fit.

I looked to see if you responded to my post but it must have gotten lost. Contact www.egge.com to see if they can rebabbit your stock bearing shells. They are in SantaFe Springs,Ca. Ph # 866-534-3443. You might have to provide them with a LOT of measurements or send your c/shaft, rods & rod bearings to them to get a correct fit.

Interesting idea, however the crank main bearings are machined aluminum. Rebabbiting would not apply in this application. Actually after looking at these it looks as though the center machined section is pressed into the housing assembly. I bet you could press out the old "bearing" machine up a new one and press it back together. This is only my cheap tight a-- speculation thinking out loud. In any event I dont have the tooling to do it and even if you could it would likely be cheaper to simply replace the bearings with new parts. Mayby I'll have some fun with old bearings and see if its plausable.