Paging BFG!

pete roper

Dave? Any chance of my Axone winging its way across the pond? The natives are getting restless?

Pete

Hi Pete

coincidentally (to you posting) I just came on the board now to look for Dennis' address in my message box as I'm going to post the Axpne today: and so I've seen your message.

Apart from organising the Guzzi meeting here at the end of May, I haven't been active on any Forum for months and have only very occasionally looked here. I'm not going to start explaining how hectically busy and difficult things have been, but essentially, for whatever reason, time has disappeared and now it's the end of July and I had said to Dennis that I would send the Axone to him at the beginning of June.

I had wanted to run through the whole set-up & tuning procedure again after the May event, when I would have had the opportunity to put a little bit of mileage on the bike. I had also hoped that while I had the Axone I could use it to set-up the V11 Scura. However I am just not going to get the work done that is needed to get the V11 repaired and running again. In theory, I am after having the last two weeks off on annual holiday. I had thought that's when I might get the Scura seen to, but although work was closed for the traditional 2 week holiday period here I still had to go in and to travel away to meetings during both those weeks, plus after waiting months, I was called to hospital for a procedure as well. So I haven't yet had a complete week off this year... blah, blah... and already it is almost August.

With that being the fact and with the awareness that I'm outrageously late in sending on the Axone, yesterday I took a few hours off work to do a final check of the Griso – tappets and then use the Axone to see the settings while also checking the balance – to then finally box the Axone and get it sent off.

I'm very sorry that I held onto it. I am also tremendously pleased to have had it, as it enabled me to get the Griso fixed, given the lack of help and interest from Piaggio/Guzzi that left me on my own with a badly messed-up new bike. (Chasing-up Piaggio is the other thing that I haven't had time/energy to do at all.)

I'm going to look for DH's address now (and PM him) and then later today get to the post office.

Thanks – I'll write/PM you again soon.

D

Dave, don't frett, snot an issue I know how time gets away. Get it off to Denis and then it can be passed on. really though if you need it back all you'll have to do is holler'.

the other thing is that now your bike has the #68 map in it all it should need from now on is the occasional TPS check etc. all that can be done easily and cheaply with the VDSTS software.

pete

Dave, don't frett, snot an issue I know how time gets away. Get it off to Denis and then it can be passed on. really though if you need it back all you'll have to do is holler'.

the other thing is that now your bike has the #68 map in it all it should need from now on is the occasional TPS check etc. all that can be done easily and cheaply with the VDSTS software.

pete

Hi again Pete

I've just sent a PM to Dennis and copied it to you.

When I connected the Axone yesterday, happily everything read as it should. I found the tappet gaps a very slight smidgeon wide but really nothing significant: certainly not the crazy gaps I found when first using the Axone, as set by the 'service agent'. I did the very small tappet adjustments anyway and then connected the Axone. That all still read the same as after the original fix, is a great relief. Most important is that TPS is 4.6 rather than the 10 that it was running at. Balance gauge also showed that the reset balance has been maintained.

It's great to have the motor running better and so much smoother. In terms of the general situation, of course I'm not happy about the damage that was done by the dealer/service agent and I'm not happy that warranty parts have never arrived, but I've written all that off now. The main thing that I would still like a solution to is the non-starting issue. Others at the end-of-May meet witnessed how the starter button often doesn't work. Push the button and nothing happens. Sometimes it will start after a short number of repeated pressings and sometimes not. That's really bad unreliability and uncertainty that I could do without.

D

Hi again Pete

I've just sent a PM to Dennis and copied it to you.

When I connected the Axone yesterday, happily everything read as it should. I found the tappet gaps a very slight smidgeon wide but really nothing significant: certainly not the crazy gaps I found when first using the Axone, as set by the 'service agent'. I did the very small tappet adjustments anyway and then connected the Axone. That all still read the same as after the original fix, is a great relief. Most important is that TPS is 4.6 rather than the 10 that it was running at. Balance gauge also showed that the reset balance has been maintained.

It's great to have the motor running better and so much smoother. In terms of the general situation, of course I'm not happy about the damage that was done by the dealer/service agent and I'm not happy that warranty parts have never arrived, but I've written all that off now. The main thing that I would still like a solution to is the non-starting issue. Others at the end-of-May meet witnessed how the starter button often doesn't work. Push the button and nothing happens. Sometimes it will start after a short number of repeated pressings and sometimes not. That's really bad unreliability and uncertainty that I could do without.

D

Dave, the non-starting issue is something I have NO experience of. BUT there has been considerable discussion of it over on Guzzitech and Mike Haven posted on WG about the problem. It seems that despite years of practice Guzzi still feed the starter relay feed for both trigger and delivery through the ignition circuit. Voltage drop and wear and tear/corrosion can cause problems, along with industrial cretinism!

Hop over to Guzzitech, there is a quite recent thread on it, (Which I haven't been following.) but I think that there is a link there to Mike's WG post and fix-it. If Mike reckons he's found the cause? I reckon that's as good a source as you're likely to get. Much better than my usual blitherings!

Pete

Dave, the non-starting issue is something I have NO experience of. BUT there has been considerable discussion of it over on Guzzitech and Mike Haven posted on WG about the problem. It seems that despite years of practice Guzzi still feed the starter relay feed for both trigger and delivery through the ignition circuit. Voltage drop and wear and tear/corrosion can cause problems, along with industrial cretinism!

Hop over to Guzzitech, there is a quite recent thread on it, (Which I haven't been following.) but I think that there is a link there to Mike's WG post and fix-it. If Mike reckons he's found the cause? I reckon that's as good a source as you're likely to get. Much better than my usual blitherings!

Pete

Oh great - thanks for that! I'll have a look-see.

-----

can't find that link

but I'll keep looking

After more searching on Wild, I found this:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=36793.msg553740#msg553740

looks like the post that you're referring to?

I should really make it a new topic here as it seems to be a problem that is plaguing plenty of other people/bikes.

Thanks

Axone is in DHL's hands now.

Should be in States in a few days, in DH's hands.

Axone is in DHL's hands now.

Should be in States in a few days, in DH's hands.

And it has arrived safely here in Maine. Working on plans for its future deployment.

Building a trailer to take it to the Rally?

If only they still made bikes with sidecar lugs, like back in the twenties & thirties. Put a wheel on one side of the Axone, bolt it up to the moto cycle. Combo to go.