When I was used car shopping earlier in the month I bought a 5 report subscription to CARFAX so I could check the records on some cars that I was looking at. I bought a car before I exhausted my subscription so I can run a few more VINS. I think it works for bikes too. Shoot me a PM if you need a CARFAX report.

In your opinion, was it worth doing? Reason I ask is that I'll need to buy a car at the end of the year.

Is there useful info in a carfax report? Clearly, I know nothing about it....

Yes it was worth it to me Jason. The carfax report aligned with a document that the dealer had given me called an Autocheck report. I had never heard of Autocheck, didn't know if it was trustworthy, so I paid for the carfax subscription. I was able to verify the dealers claims that it was a one owner car with 13xxx miles on it, just off lease, with no accidents on record.

I don't have the printout with me and the web link expired but I think it had some dealer service records and the mileage that was recorded when the previous owner had the state inspections done. I planned on using it when I looked at other cars but I ended up making a deal on the first one I checked. A lot of dealers offer free carfax reports on their used cars, this dealer used Autocheck.

Carfax is not "The Gospel".... Our daughter bought a Cougar after going through Carfax. When we got it here we found out every body part on the front was new. I don't think they install FOMOCO part # labels on assembly line parts. As long as a car can be sold and repaired without it being a recorded incident there is no evidence of an accident. Also if a repair is not made at a same company (Ford product/Ford dealership) dealership there is no record to attach to the vehicle.

Generally, in the case of an accident, if the vehicle is repaired without a claim going threw the insurance company, the accident will not show up on Carfax.

At least that's how it worked a couple of years ago. Service departments and body shops may have jumped on board with reporting to Carfax now. They should anyway.