No Buzz and warm too!

Guest russ

That's a much better design than the Kimpo brand (Korean) items that I get from my local Buell dealer for about $25. I wonder what the low heat draw is in watts. It would be nice if they showed some pictures of the two types of heat controllers too.

How do you get the grips to go over the elements?

Normally I lube the grips with alcohol when putting grips over bars.

The way I always put grips on (and take them off) is Hair Spray. That's how I did these and they were 2 second installs. I believe that they draw 36 watts on high power but that gets the grips really warm and you will turn them off in most situations. Even low power got them toasty this evening but it was only 60 degrees or so.

The heat troller they sell for a thermostat like control is unnecessary in my opinion. I am not that lazy to turn it on and off as needed. :mg:

I've got the following HotGrips installed:

HotGrips "Soft" Grips

...they've been good so far, and are quite well made. But I haven't decided yet if I like the slightly larger outside diameter, and even though "soft" they are harder than aftermarket squishy grips I like.

I've thought about getting the elements Russ picked up and using them in combination with some Superbike Gel Grips.... :huh2: ...but I need to look at how the ones Russ got hook up and if they will work with the adjustable heat controller I already have.

al

Al,

I had picked up a set of those bt with the heavy vibes in the bars and numb hands I decided they would not help the overall problem. The combo of Manic Salamander BarEnds (2-3x times heavier than stock), gel grips and these have really made the bike perfect for me. On a recent trip through Arkansas doing 400 mile days my hands never felt numb. It used to be that they would go numb within 25 miles, a totally unacceptable situation.

:bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike:

Yeah, I've had some numbness issues with the current grips, although I don't know if that's more because of my mild carpal-tunnel sensitivity, the bike, and/or in combination with the grips... :huh2: But I do remember that I like my gel "superbike" grips on the FJ quite a lot.

So... OK, I'll give it a try... why not? :rolleyes:

I've ordered a set of the elements, but here's my question:

I already have the adjustable heat control for my "HotGrips" which is just a rotary heavy-duty variable resistor.

So I thought I'd just use it instead of the ~$50 "Heat Troller" that is often sold with the Dual Star setup. Looking at the wiring, it looks like this should work just fine?? :huh2: The "Heat Troller" is apparently nothing more than a fancy modulator that depending on the setting cycles the current on-and-off to adjust the heat, versus my knob which again is just a resistor.

...oh, and the "Heat Troller" has an on/off function, where mine are always on(when the key is on) but turned all the way down doesn't draw any current.

Anyway, these should work with my low-tech adjuster, correct?

al

Yeah, I've had some numbness issues with the current grips, although I don't know if that's more because of my mild carpal-tunnel sensitivity, the bike, and/or in combination with the grips... :huh2: But I do remember that I like my gel "superbike" grips on the FJ quite a lot.

I've ordered a set of the elements, but here's my question:

I already have the adjustable heat control for my "HotGrips" which is just a rotary heavy-duty variable resistor.

Anyway, these should work with my low-tech adjuster, correct?

Al,

The biggest difference on the vibes were the changing of the Bar Ends! The big heavy (I mean very heavy, like 14 oz.) got rid of 80% and in combo with the gel made it a non fatigue issue.

As for the electrics, I am a caveman in that area but I see no reason that it shouldn't work. Try it out. You shouldn't damage anyting so if it doesn't work you can always use 3 position switch like me.

using them in combination with some Superbike Gel Grips

The gel will become thin because of the heat and loose its function? :huh: I have no experience with heated grips. My bike is a Moto Wussy. And I have a car and a small van. You can guess what I use for transport in winter. :rolleyes:

The gel will become thin because of the heat and loose its function? :huh:

:huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2:

Don;t know if they will but they are cheap to replace at $8-10 a set.

I have no experience with heated grips.

Jaap, I can't speak from experience about the Dual Star product (they look like a great product, just haven't used them) but heated grips are not just for "Elephant Ride/ Brass Monkey" types. Being able to wear unlined gloves and have truly warm hands on a cool day makes riding the bike safer and more fun. I can't recall for sure but I believe a friend I helped install a similar style of heater (probably the type Carl mentioned) was using jell grips and he had no problems.

I'm pretty sure I will be able to speak from experience about the Dual Star grips by spring, if you know what I mean.

As for the electrics, I am a caveman in that area but I see no reason that it shouldn't work. Try it out. You shouldn't damage anything so if it doesn't work you can always use 3 position switch like me.

Al, if I am reading the Dual Star site correct these heaters have two sets of elements, one for high and one for low heat. Assuming that is correct they would work with your variable resister if you connected them to the "high" element. FWIW, I never found much advantage to any more than off/ low/ high switch for heated grips but that is just my opinion. As another factor to think about, given our bikes truly crummy electrical system I'd think having the low heat/ low current draw position would be a very good thing. Again, JMO.

Cheers,

Lex