2001 v11 sport won't start

handtius

hi all. I'm new here. Just purchased a 2001 v11 sport and I'm having an issue with her. The first few days it was riding fine, but would cut out mid-ride every once in a while, until it cut out and wouldn't start. had to push it almost 2 miles home. When I put the key in the start position, the lights all turn on, but when i push the starter it makes a rapid clicking sound when I try to start it. The guy I bought it from has been very helpful. He says it could be the battery, the relays or possibly the generator fuse. How do I check if any of these guesses are correct? Where do I look for the generator fuse and the relays? I'm completely new to Guzzis and pretty new to bike. Don't know much yet.If you don't think any of these are the issues, can you let me know if you can think of anything else that could be ailing her?

Also, does anyone know where I can find schematics for the bike? A pdf manual or something?

Thanks you,

-ryan

I attached a picture of her below

guzzi.jpg

Ryan, I can tell you that you are in the right place! It might take some tinkering, but these folks are super at helping one another get these nice Guzzis going!:mg:

First, do you have a digital Volt-ohm meter? It would be a good investment of about $50 to get a decent one. I'm thinkin' your gonna need it!

For certain, the clicking suggests the battery is ready for a change. The Hawker odyssey PC 545 has a good reputation in these bikes.

If you take off the seat, you can access the battery, the relays (on the right side near the back), and the fuses (left side in back). The regulator fuse is the 30 amp job in position 3. They are bad for melting without "blowing."

Our buddy. Orangeokie, was always fond of saying "Know the Rules" which he linked to a post reminding us to keep a fresh battery and the best available relays.

I think the PO gave you some good advice on starting points to get the bike up and running. Then, we'll go from there!:luigi:

(BTW: When using the search function, make your initial search, then sort by "relevance" and click "update.")

Ryan, I can tell you that you are in the right place! It might take some tinkering, but these folks are super at helping one another get these nice Guzzis going!:mg:

First, do you have a digital Volt-ohm meter? It would be a good investment of about $50 to get a decent one. I'm thinkin' your gonna need it!

For certain, the clicking suggests the battery is ready for a change. The Hawker odyssey PC 545 has a good reputation in these bikes.

If you take off the seat, you can access the battery, the relays (on the right side near the back), and the fuses (left side in back). The regulator fuse is the 30 amp job in position 3. They are bad for melting without "blowing."

Our buddy. Orangeokie, was always fond of saying "Know the Rules" which he linked to a post reminding us to keep a fresh battery and the best available relays.

I think the PO gave you some good advice on starting points to get the bike up and running. Then, we'll go from there!:luigi:

(BTW: When using the search function, make your initial search, then sort by "relevance" and click "update.")

Hey Docc,

Thanks a bunch. I'll take a look in the morning. I actually figured the relays, and replaced the 30 (it was melted) and to no avail. Still clicking away. Hopefully a battery replace will do the trick. the previous owner is giving me a brand new battery if it is the issue. I do have a volt meter, but it's out on loan. of course, when you need it. As for the fuses, do you know which one i should be checking? I believe there are 5 or 6. can't remember off the top of my head. How do you check these types of fuses? I'm used to the glass tube ones. The plastic boxes don't seem to have a noticeable indicator.

Thanks again!

-ryan

Blade fuses need to be pulled out to check them. Not as obvious as the glass versions. (you sure you want to admit to even knowing of their existence?):oldgit:

Other than the trouble with the melting 30 amp regulator fuse (See "Nasty Hiccup" thread), I doubt you have a fuse problem . Sounds like the battery.

After that, we'll get into the regulator, the relay bases, and the yellow stator wires under the alternator cover . . .

Hey, but only we if we need to. What's Italian for, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

As Docc says we are ready to help. If the 30 Amp fuse was blown the battery would go flat for sure, try giving it a good charge, maybe all it needs.

My 30 Amp blew, It actually welded itself into the socket, that's a sure sign of a loose socket not over current.

You will find everything you need and more right here.

Is your 2001 green like mine?

Ooopps i should have looked at the picture

Roy

Also, does anyone know where I can find schematics for the bike? A pdf manual or something?

Thanks you,

-ryan

Ask, and ye shall receive.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

Many thanks to Carl Allison, who made the schematics and Greg Bender, who hosts the site.

Cheers,

Jason

PS- use a small needle-nose pliers to remove the blade-type fuses. Also, check the charging voltage when you get the bike started again. It doesn't sound like it could be a relay problem.

Hi handtius

Your comment it "would cut out mid-ride every once in a while" is what mine has been doing.

I suggest as a quick thing to check is to swap the last two relays (closest to back of bike) and see if she goes - Boom! - and starts like nuthin' ever was wrong. Seems to have sorted mine!

If it does'nt then...

refer back to other's :oldgit:

Hi handtius

Your comment it "would cut out mid-ride every once in a while" is what mine has been doing.

I suggest as a quick thing to check is to swap the last two relays (closest to back of bike) and see if she goes - Boom! - and starts like nuthin' ever was wrong. Seems to have sorted mine!

If it does'nt then...

Thanks man. I'll check that out.

Thanks you,

-ryan

Ask, and ye shall receive.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

Many thanks to Carl Allison, who made the schematics and Greg Bender, who hosts the site.

Cheers,

Jason

PS- use a small needle-nose pliers to remove the blade-type fuses. Also, check the charging voltage when you get the bike started again. It doesn't sound like it could be a relay problem.

This is awesome. Thank you so much!

Hi handtius

If it does'nt then...

Thanks man. I'll check that out.

I think swapping the relays is a temporary fix, I'm sure the real problem is loose or coroded contacts in the relay base. The good thing is it's easy to fix

Follow the topic

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15718

or go straight to the source

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=10441

Just pull the contacts one by one so you don't get them mixed.

Blade fuses need to be pulled out to check them. Not as obvious as the glass versions. (you sure you want to admit to even knowing of their existence?):oldgit:

Other than the trouble with the melting 30 amp regulator fuse (See "Nasty Hiccup" thread), I doubt you have a fuse problem . Sounds like the battery.

After that, we'll get into the regulator, the relay bases, and the yellow stator wires under the alternator cover . . .

Hey, but only we if we need to. What's Italian for, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

My Dyslexia strikes again. I know blade fuses, it's the relays I don't know.

I'd like to ask another question, since you guys have been so helpful.

I'm not sure yet, but I think the previous owner might be taking me for a ride. If so, does anyone know a good guzzi shop in New York City. I'm in queens but can go to brooklyn...manhattan if i must.

also, how does the steering damper work? The previous owner said it would stop the bars from smacking tank, but the fork touches the left side of the tank when turned all the way left and the tip of the right handlebar just touches on the right. I notice a difference in tension from side to side when I adjust the damper, but should it stop it from touching the tank?