V11 Le Mans Reliability Question

windyducat

I have a broad question for many of the experienced V11 owners. Are the V11s' highly reliable and require normal amount of maintenance.

The reason for my question- I currently have a Ducati ST4 and a BMW R1200ST. I am getting rid of the BMW R1200ST (great bike but not inspiring to ride) and really want to get a V11 Le Mans. Having owned Moto Guzzi's in the past I love the handling and styling, and my 1976 was mechanically indestructible but the electronics were problematic. I would use the V11 Le mans for long distance sport touring mostly out west...Colorado, Utah, etc and want a bike that I can totally count on and not breaking down. I also noticed that there is not as big of a dealer network for Moto Guzzi, like there is with BMW or Ducati.

I read the FAQs and found that V11's have their share of niggles, like any other bike, but not sure if that translates to on the road reliability. Also it seems a 2003-4 would be better than a 2002 in terms of reliability.

Any input is truly appreciated.

Cheers!

In the 30k miles that I have on my LeMans it has sort of stranded me once, when the shifter pawl spring broke. I had a voltage regulator quit on me once too but I was able to ride home. Other than that my particular bike has been pretty good. I changed all the relays out when I bought it as recommended here and haven't had any of the relay problems that some have had with the stock relays.

Would I recommend it to someone looking for "a bike that I can totally count on and not breaking down"? Nope. That's what Hondas are for. It seems like your ST4 will do everything that you'd want to do with a LeMans and then some. I don't know if a LeMans would be any more or less reliable than the Duc but Ducati dealers are a lot more plentiful than Guzzi dealers which would be a concern for me if I was long distance touring.

That said, they are fun bikes and if you want one to replace the beemer go for it! There are some great deals on used V11s out there now.

I feel carefree touring and inspiring to ride are yet to be realized in this sport/lifestyle. Like your 76 the V11 is a mechanical beauty suffering from quality control issues and electrical foibles. Own one for a season or two take care of the little issues (they typically are little) and tour. I run mine all about the West, still a little put out by Italian 2 wire alternators and the sketchy regulators but hey, it could be worse, I might be bored! Not too many machines put the mojo back into motorcycling like the Guzzi. If yer handy and have a bike stand fly at it. Cheers :rasta:

Own one for a season or two take care of the little issues (they typically are little) and tour.

+1

Any bike (even a UJM) can be a problem bike. Any bike (even a Guzzi) can be sorted. If I trade my 14 year old bike with 80,000 kms on the clock against ANY new bike, I won't be able to trust the new one for quite some time. I take my 1997 Sporti for two-week, 5000-7000 km rides and I'm confident with it. Sure, sometimes things happen. Once, an oil cooler banjo let loose from its hose. It was fixable with an adjustable spanner (removed the cooler and shorted it with the good hose). This year the clutch wire started to self destruct (bad aftermarket one) but I had an old good one somewhere in my bags, that had been replaced only for scuffed outer lining so I kept it as a spare. But a serious breakdown just won't happen. And even if it would, it's bound to end up as a good campfire story.

My wife and I tour a fair bit on our Guzzi's. She has a V11 and I have a Griso and a 4V Daytona.

They have yet to leave either of us stranded once past the initial new bike sorting phase. All have had a few issues when new that required a ride home. We have had a battery fail right as we were leaving on a long trip, but that could have happened to any bike, even a Honda. The difference I guess is that it would have been easier to find the replacement battery for the Honda. We also have had a few issues crop up while on the road that needed to be dealt with, but none were something that was related to it being a Guzzi. It was always something like a flat tire or a broken license plate bracket (aftermarket) that you can't blame on Guzzi.

My opinion and experience, Guzzi's are not Honda's and they lack the dealer and parts support, as well as the engineering and build quality of the Honda. But they are still easily capable of covering vast distances with little trouble once initially sorted, and do it with a style and panache that the Honda just can't match.

Are Guzzi's for everybody? No, not even close. But for someone who enjoys the style and grace of a Guzzi and is willing to put forth a little more effort and involvement they are almost as reliable and likely longer lasting then a Honda.

If you are happy with the Ducati, the Guzzi is like that but with less maintenance required, and what needs doing is mostly easier.

My two cents.

In the 30k miles that I have on my LeMans it has sort of stranded me once, when the shifter pawl spring broke. I had a voltage regulator quit on me once too but I was able to ride home. Other than that my particular bike has been pretty good. I changed all the relays out when I bought it as recommended here and haven't had any of the relay problems that some have had with the stock relays.

Would I recommend it to someone looking for "a bike that I can totally count on and not breaking down"? Nope. That's what Hondas are for. It seems like your ST4 will do everything that you'd want to do with a LeMans and then some. I don't know if a LeMans would be any more or less reliable than the Duc but Ducati dealers are a lot more plentiful than Guzzi dealers which would be a concern for me if I was long distance touring.

That said, they are fun bikes and if you want one to replace the beemer go for it! There are some great deals on used V11s out there now.

What he said.

You guys (and maybe gals) have given some great input and confirmed my thinking. This is once I get any niggles worked out and rework things like the relays the V11 is basically reliable. The biggest concern with long distance trips across the southwest especially out of the way places is lack of dealer support. I suppose a good road side assistance plan is a good back up. About the ST4 versus a V11 Le Mans. IMO the V11 Le mans with it extra weight and "beefer" engine would be better for day after day miles. My ST4 is setup more for corner scratching and after a 200 mile jaunt it goes away for a few day. I bought the BMW R1200ST to fill the gap between the ST4 and my BMW K1200RS and on paper it fits, but is booooooooooooring....thus the V11 Le mans.

Another question...when I am looking for a V11 Le mans are there specific things to look/ask for and things to steer away from? Anyway I can try and eliminate a bike the was built on "a bad day?"

My inclination is buy one, I know I will love the ride, ride it for a while locally and from there should gain confidence to take it on the road.

Cheers! and again thanks for the opinions! great forum, glad I found it!

You guys (and maybe gals) have given some great input and confirmed my thinking. This is once I get any niggles worked out and rework things like the relays the V11 is basically reliable. The biggest concern with long distance trips across the southwest especially out of the way places is lack of dealer support. I suppose a good road side assistance plan is a good back up. About the ST4 versus a V11 Le Mans. IMO the V11 Le mans with it extra weight and "beefer" engine would be better for day after day miles. My ST4 is setup more for corner scratching and after a 200 mile jaunt it goes away for a few day. I bought the BMW R1200ST to fill the gap between the ST4 and my BMW K1200RS and on paper it fits, but is booooooooooooring....thus the V11 Le mans.

Another question...when I am looking for a V11 Le mans are there specific things to look/ask for and things to steer away from? Anyway I can try and eliminate a bike the was built on "a bad day?"

My inclination is buy one, I know I will love the ride, ride it for a while locally and from there should gain confidence to take it on the road.

Yes, indeed, the '04 varieties are a quantum leap ahead of the '02 (and the early RedFrames) and, at this point, no more money. I'm looking forward to your comparison with the Ducati . . .

The MG shaft drive is a major plus over a chain any day for long distance touring. The LeMans is a great choice for one up sport touring. And I agree with your perception the 03-04 MY were some of the best LeMans ever manufactured. Virtually all the niggles engineered out. :rasta:

Try to buy a bike with Ohlins suspension or failing that one with an aftermarket rear shock as the OE Sachs is poor.

From my own experience with Guzzis (a T3 before the V11) the thing that is most likely to leave you stranded is the gearbox pawl spring. My T3 got through 3 of them in the years I had it, and it was an absolute bugger to replace - engine/gearbox out and strip the gearbox. Not something to do at the side of the road! So far I've got through one on my V11 - but that was after only 5,000 miles! The good news though is that if you are handy with spanners, and have a spare spring and basic tool set (including hex keys) about your person, you can replace a V11 pawl spring at the side of the road, so it's not the disaster it was on the T3. So I'd say, yes you can tour on a V11 but take some tools (not the ones that come with the bike!), a spare pawl spring, and a spare relay, as insurance.

I've ridden mine all over Europe.

In 60,000 km, it left me stranded twice.

Once at about 17,000 km when a rear wheel bearing went out.

And at 60,000 km when a coil went south.

Both times, it had the good sense to break down in a town so, getting help was a lot easier :)

I doubt that anyone is going to say a Guzzi is as dependable as a Yamazuki. I will say that our local Japanese bike dealer has a full time driver who picks up stranded Goldwings, as well as other makes/models, to bring in for repairs to get them back on the road. I shudder to think what this dealer would do if a Guzzi rider needed this shops help. The guys at this shop would probably call me for help with it. They know me well. But this highlights the real issue: Can you work on your own bike? If not, maybe a Guzzi isn't the best choice. I guess that others on this forum, as well as me, are willing to tempt fate to have such a beautiful beast. I sold my perfectly good Yamaha FJR1300 to buy my V11 LeMans. What I got in the trade was the desire to ride what was in my garage, and to fire up my motorcycle habit. Bless this forum, using the info found here I have de-bugged my V11 to the extent possible, and have not had a failure since. I know, no guarantees. But then again, my dirt bike is a Husaberg, my car is a Jaguar XJS V12. I'm a glutton for punishment. I wonder if this forum should have a list of members willing to assist others while on the road?

I doubt that anyone is going to say a Guzzi is as dependable as a Yamazuki. I will say that our local Japanese bike dealer has a full time driver who picks up stranded Goldwings, as well as other makes/models, to bring in for repairs to get them back on the road. I shudder to think what this dealer would do if a Guzzi rider needed this shops help. The guys at this shop would probably call me for help with it. They know me well. But this highlights the real issue: Can you work on your own bike? If not, maybe a Guzzi isn't the best choice. I guess that others on this forum, as well as me, are willing to tempt fate to have such a beautiful beast. I sold my perfectly good Yamaha FJR1300 to buy my V11 LeMans. What I got in the trade was the desire to ride what was in my garage, and to fire up my motorcycle habit. Bless this forum, using the info found here I have de-bugged my V11 to the extent possible, and have not had a failure since. I know, no guarantees. But then again, my dirt bike is a Husaberg, my car is a Jaguar XJS V12. I'm a glutton for punishment. I wonder if this forum should have a list of members willing to assist others while on the road?

Great point and you actually said better what I was thinking. I figured I be working on a V11 Le mans if I got one, and for me that is one of the reasons I have motorcycles. Not only maintain it but to set it up the way I like to ride. It sounds like some of the failure points like the relays can be upgraded to improve reliability.

Cheers