Oil change - wise to drop the sump. Now: next service

belfastguzzi

How many times has the sump been off since this bike had the original warranty work (if you want to call it that) was performed ? What was replaced when this was done ? I remember you stated the idiots didn't even want to pull the pan & clean it. True ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like your tensioner is fine Dave. I can't see why anyone would try and move the guide on the other side, it's *fixed* but just because I can't imagine a reason doesn't mean our flagelatory friend didn't have a go.

So where's the plastic coming from? I have abso-f@cking-lootley NO IDEA! Apart from the tensioner blade and the oil pick-ups, (And the dipstick of course!) I can't think of anything offhand that is made of plastic and inside the engine? Perhaps 'The Hammer' dropped something down the oil galleries in the side of the barrel to see if he could hear a splash? Who knows?

The metalic crap? All I can think of since its ferrous is muck left over from the tappet failure. There is very little inside the engine apart from the tappets that is amde of steel that will wear. The primary timing and oil pump gears? I doubt it. If they started to screw up I'd expect the noise to be loud and hideous, and yes I know the early 8V's are noisy but they wouldn't be able to cover up the racket of s set of disintegrating spur gears. At least I don't think they would. What else is there. Crank and rods are obviously intact. Gudgeon pins are still there as the sump isn't full of bits of piston. Can't be bits or ring. Chains and sprockets all appear fine. Can't imagine the idler shaft suddenly deciding to shed bits of itself? It's gotta be rubble from the cam and tappet failure.

Pete

Nice diagnosis, doctor. I'll keep taking the headache pills and hope for the best.

Looking forward to the next oil change already.

Thanks Pete.

Baldini - thanks for the PM. I'll reply later in the week, as long as there's an internet connection at the country cottage. Taking a few days off after today.

I might even post pictures of... country cottage stuff!

:bier: