V11 Sport & Lemans @ 2010 VME Isle of Vashon TT

Steve G.

Another late summer bike event passes, the Isle of Vashon TT. For those not living in the North American North West, this is a Greater Seattle event, geared towards the classic/vintage/antique bike scene, the main event of the year for the Seattle based VME [Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts] club. Riders from as far south as Portland, Oregon, as far north as Vancouver, British Columbia.

Anyways, I try to head down every year, about 130 miles one way. I get up around 5:00am, hit the border by 6:00, and make the Vashon ferry crossing by 8:30. This year took down my 20 yr old GS, maybe not a true classic, but is approaching the age, where it is now warmly welcomed amongst most of the event. I've taken my Nortons a few times, the RC30 Honda as well, and the 400-4 SS Honda, all classic bikes now, not just of age, but with general standing as collectable machines of merit.

I've held off taking my V11 Sport, too new I've told myself. I've always cursed under my breath, the guys showing up on modern crotch rockets, or new Harley Davidsons. I mean crap, there's got to be some Harley rally these guys can go to rather than an old bike event. Just go away you idiots!!!

So, about the late Spine Frames??? 1999-2005. I spotted at least one 2002 red/grey Lemans, one red framed green V11 Sport, and a couple more 2003+ Sports within the assemblage this year. 5 years ago, I'd have questioned these things showing up. But they were made in fairly small numbers by other manufacturers numbers, and with the red framed Sports, are around 10 yrs old now.

So, when will it not be in 'bad form' to show up at a 'classic' event on a V11 Sport????

Being on an air cooled engine, read: a motorbike as they used to do them 'back then', and a Moto-Guzzi, one of the last legendary manufacturer, i think you're safe on most points...

I wouldn't worry about it - if you fancy taking the V11 take it. To me bikes are about attitude not age. If someone gets their knickers in a twist over it, that's their problem. It's not as if it's a competetive event - it's just a gathering of enthusiasts? And just cos something's old - doesn't make it a classic. But Classic Bike World is a Mad, Mad World - I don't get brand new manufactured Manxes, G50's etc competing in same race classes as original machinery?

BTW - I have an 81 R80GS - it's an ugly old bugger but the only bike I've had running whilst completely inverted (the bike, that is).

KB :sun:

As an officer in the VME, I can tell you, "Don't worry about it. Ride what you like, behave yourself, and enjoy the event."

Your fellow Canadians always behave themselves and make a good showing. George Dockray's green cafe bike won the People's Choice Award in the bike show. Thanks for joining us. If you ever want to come down the night before, I can probably hook you up with a free place to saty.

As an officer in the VME, I can tell you, "Don't worry about it. Ride what you like, behave yourself, and enjoy the event."

Your fellow Canadians always behave themselves and make a good showing. George Dockray's green cafe bike won the People's Choice Award in the bike show. Thanks for joining us. If you ever want to come down the night before, I can probably hook you up with a free place to saty.

I've been riding down to the TT since the mid 90's. Always used to camp at the Sportsman's Club, tent over at the gun range with 10-15 buddies from the Vancouver British Bike Club. Forget which year, but ultimately it was one or more of us Canadians that, during the annual tire smoke out show over by the bbq area, one of us rode their Norton into that skanky old pond, then decided it might be nice to continue going for a swim. Used to be quite a show, and miss the gong show Saturday nite. Blame us crazy Cdns for banning camping @ the location.

Known George for years, rode up with us to the Laverda Rally this yr. He puts together the Italian Bike nite the last Tuesday of each month @ Cafe Calabria in Vancouver, up to 30 bikes in the summer. Great guy, knows his Italia, great commercial pilot, been around the world.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Another late summer bike event passes, the Isle of Vashon TT. For those not living in the North American North West, this is a Greater Seattle event, geared towards the classic/vintage/antique bike scene, the main event of the year for the Seattle based VME [Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts] club. Riders from as far south as Portland, Oregon, as far north as Vancouver, British Columbia.

Anyways, I try to head down every year, about 130 miles one way. I get up around 5:00am, hit the border by 6:00, and make the Vashon ferry crossing by 8:30. This year took down my 20 yr old GS, maybe not a true classic, but is approaching the age, where it is now warmly welcomed amongst most of the event. I've taken my Nortons a few times, the RC30 Honda as well, and the 400-4 SS Honda, all classic bikes now, not just of age, but with general standing as collectable machines of merit.

I've held off taking my V11 Sport, too new I've told myself. I've always cursed under my breath, the guys showing up on modern crotch rockets, or new Harley Davidsons. I mean crap, there's got to be some Harley rally these guys can go to rather than an old bike event. Just go away you idiots!!!

So, about the late Spine Frames??? 1999-2005. I spotted at least one 2002 red/grey Lemans, one red framed green V11 Sport, and a couple more 2003+ Sports within the assemblage this year. 5 years ago, I'd have questioned these things showing up. But they were made in fairly small numbers by other manufacturers numbers, and with the red framed Sports, are around 10 yrs old now.

So, when will it not be in 'bad form' to show up at a 'classic' event on a V11 Sport????

Don't worry Steve, one of these times I'll show up there on my Thruxton!

Steve i realize It's a classic rally but not everyone has a classic bike to go on so does that mean they should not show up at the rally after all they probably just want to look at bikes just like you or I,sounds like the Cafe Calabria doesn't have a great reputation for service or food whats your take on this?and when is the Vashon TT held inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks Stu.

DSC01221-1.JPG