Aluminum Fuel Tank

ponti_33609

Hi- I am looking to replace my tank with an aluminum one. Appears we do not have too many options? Has anyone buy one from the Tank Shop? I was curious if it was a simple exchange or is there some more work to doing it? Also, if anyone has any other options I would be happy to hear what you did.

Bob

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi- I am looking to replace my tank with an aluminum one. Appears we do not have too many options? Has anyone buy one from the Tank Shop? I was curious if it was a simple exchange or is there some more work to doing it? Also, if anyone has any other options I would be happy to hear what you did.

Bob

If you have enough $$ you can do anything...............

I don't think I've seen an aluminum tank on a spine frame.

Have you looked at Ghezzi-Brian?

Yes John at the Tank Shop has made one before for a V11- its on his website. If you want one it may be a long wait though because he has a massive order book.

Tikkanen is thinking about using WBO in Germany to build him an alu tank for his V11- maybe if you join together you could get a discount!

Hi- I am looking to replace my tank with an aluminum one.

I'd just like to point out that this means you'll be replacing one type of fuel tank that doesn't work with magnetic tank bags with another type of tank that doesn't work with magnetic tank bags.

Daily rider FAIL!

:grin:

Hi- I am looking to replace my tank with an aluminum one.

I'd just like to point out that this means you'll be replacing one type of fuel tank that doesn't work with magnetic tank bags with another type of tank that doesn't work with magnetic tank bags.

Daily rider FAIL!

:grin:

True, but I bet this one stays the same size! :)

I don't think I've seen an aluminum tank on a spine frame.

Have you looked at Ghezzi-Brian?

Yes John at the Tank Shop has made one before for a V11- its on his website. If you want one it may be a long wait though because he has a massive order book.

Tikkanen is thinking about using WBO in Germany to build him an alu tank for his V11- maybe if you join together you could get a discount!

Howdy Guzzirider and Ponti,

yes, I had that in mind but I just checked WBO homepage and it reads......

Wir begrüßen Sie auf der WBO Racing Homepage!

Wir fertigen die Tankverschlüsse und GFK-Teile in Einzel- oder Kleinserienfertigung.

Die Tankverschlüsse und GFK-Teile sind ab Lager lieferbar.

Nach mehr als 30 Jahren und über 7000 gefertigten Alu-Tanks haben wir die Tank-Produktion eingestellt.

The Alloy-Tankproduction has been stopped.

Bestellungen bitte per E-Mail, Telefon oder Fax. Online-Bestellungen sind nicht möglich, daher ist eine Anmeldung (links im Menü) auch nicht notwendig.

Die Kunststoffteile werden auf Kundenwunsch mit einem TÜV- Materialgutachten ausgeliefert.

Die Tankdeckel mit Abbildungen und Zeichnungen finden Sie auch in unserer Home-Page: www.newton-equipment.de

...which means we're back to The Tank Shop and the blessing of John Williams. John is hard to reach so good luck. Have tried several times but no cigar. Guzzirider had him by the ba... obviously 'cos John has made him a very beautyful tank, seat and side covers. Have just had the pleasure seeing Guzzirider's bike in the flesh and she's a stunner. Well done, matey!

BR

Søren

Try this link: http://www.alu-tanks.de

Email: f-lammers(at)t-online.de

Hubert

Thanks a bunch, Hubert!

Products look good and worth a try. On top of it the shop is located close to Nordhorn so it's not that far away. Will drop them a mail.

Will fill you up with Jägermeister (!!!) when me meet next time in Sibbe. Don't tell that I didn't warn you.... :oldgit:

Cheers

Søren

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is accurate to say that wbo didn't produce tanks, but distribted tanks made from other sources. One major supplier has had to leave the business for health reasons, and it is sad to see the senior torch-weld fabricators age out. Soon after the last batches was produced, wbo put up their note. I expect I got one of the last from this builder for my '81 cafe project.

I sourced the seat pan for my bike from Friedhelm. His work is good and improving, but he is using TIG, not torch welding. Friedhelm is responsive and professional. His quote for my tank was reasonable. It is nice to see the enxt generation come along, but a little sad to see torch welding displaced by TIG. In my opinion, torch welding produces a superior product from a workability and leak-resistance standpoint. For a tank it is likely adequate and I'm sure Friedhelm would stand behind his product.

Posted today on the Wildguzzi forum by Friedhelm himself.

http://www.alu-tanks.de/media/ee1bb13d17ba33c4ffff80e6fffffff1.pdf

It's all in German. The last page has something to do with DOT and Metzler. I can't see what tires has anything to do with his tanks. Do custom tanks need to be DOT certified?

Hi,

Don't worry, it is about a recall of tires. It seems that this is an article from the german magazine MO.

Regards,

Joep

Do custom tanks need to be DOT certified?

Fuel tanks have to meet standards set by the DOT: that's why for the longest time, plastic fuel tanks could only be had for off-road bikes [which are exempt from the DOT restrictions aimed at road vehicles].

Custom tanks fly below the radar, but a big company like Acerbis or stock issue tanks like came on our Guzzis have to meet DOT approval.