speedo needle wobble

Tom M

My speedo needle is bouncing a lot when I get much over 70mph. I lubed the cable and it's still jumping. Any ideas on how to determine if the problem is the speedo, the cable, or the angle drive?

All parts are original with 31xxx miles on them. I was planning on opening the speedo up this winter to paint the needle since it has faded to white and I can't see it at night. A friend with similar mileage on his red frame told me he just installed his 4th angle drive so maybe mine is due too? Any help will be appreciated...

The upper bevel drive is mounted by a plate under two screws. It is worth tightening the screws. I'm really not sure how hard they are to reach on a lemans. The lower bevel drive has a fitting pressed into it, then threaded down onto the gearbox. The fitting tends to walk out of the drive and can be easily pressed back together. Maybe a little JBWeld would be judicious!

The pressed in metal disc can dislodge spitting out the worm gear. Be certain the disc is pressed in and apply epoxy. I've tried a couple and, again, JBWeld seems to lock the little plate well in place.

The worm gear inside the bevel drive is prone to developing chips and broken teeth. I've robbed a few from old bevels, but otherwise it will be time for a replacement. Up to $90 + USD now! Someone please re-manufacture this part!!

(You can get the upper bevel for less and press the mounting fitting into it.)

The speedo itself is full of flinky little plastic gears like you would find in a child's toy.

• Like 1

On mine it was the worn needle shaft lower bearing. At the lower end of this shaft an aluminium pot is mounted inside of which a solenoid is rotating. The lower bearing, the one near this pot, wears obviously quite quickly, becomes oval. So under vibration the pot no longer is sufficiently centered over the rotor inside of it.

I ignored this until finally the pot got contact with the rotor, thus pushing the V11 nearly to warp speed, at moderately revs even. :grin:

Hubert

Thanks for the tips guys. I know it's not the upper angle drive because the LeMans doesn't have one :homer: . I'll take a closer look at the lower angle drive and cable and report back if I find anything. If it's a problem inside the speedo that will have to wait a few months.

Thanks for the tips guys. I know it's not the upper angle drive because the LeMans doesn't have one :homer: . I'll take a closer look at the lower angle drive and cable and report back if I find anything. If it's a problem inside the speedo that will have to wait a few months.

My '03 does not have a lower one, either.

The cable housing makes a tight bend before entering the lower drive. My cable had problems with this bend. Cable broke at 7100 mile mark, The odometer gave up at the same time, for whatever reason.

My Odometer was showing just over 74,000 when it quit on Wednesday, the speedo is still working but by the way it gives a flick now and then I suspect the needle pivot bearing is on it's way out. From the various angle drive bits that came with the bike I suspect it's always been a problem, what a piece of junk these Veglias are, perhaps we need to be looking for an electronic replacement, do away with the cable at the same time. It would be nice to retain the same analog display and round shape though. :luigi:

My Odometer was showing just over 74,000 when it quit on Wednesday, the speedo is still working but by the way it gives a flick now and then I suspect the needle pivot bearing is on it's way out. From the various angle drive bits that came with the bike I suspect it's always been a problem, what a piece of junk these Veglias are, perhaps we need to be looking for an electronic replacement, do away with the cable at the same time. It would be nice to retain the same analog display and round shape though. :luigi:

Mine had the same symptoms. When dissecting the speedo (dremel uzw) I found that the odometer number wheel missed a few (2) teeth on its cog.

With a little luck I found a used Veglia, albeit from a Ducati but looks identical except for graphics, at a good price on ebay. The lower angle drive is also broken but I plan to order a new one (made out of gold?) so that I can spend some quality time with l'aquila when I get back from vacation in three weeks. Haven't decided if I'll use the Duc speedo (changing the graphics and adjusting the mileage) or if I'll just pick the odometer wheel from it.

/Anders

My new speedo with only 1700 miles has been wagging ever more in spite of reworking the lower drive and the cable lube. The moly lube was a mistake as now any seepage is gooey black.

After about 100 miles today the speedo quit. Again.

A close inspection reveals the brass insert for mounting the lower drive had walked out. The gears inside appear good. I'll use the Lubriplate this time (leftover from Lionel trains and the M14) and some adhesive to bond the brass plug into the drive. For reference, the brass recesses into the drive and no brass should be visible viewed perpendicularly:

IMG_0312.JPG

And then, in my less than careful (read:frustrated :angry:) disassembly, I find this Schnoor washer and my parts diagrams do not show the bevel drives.

Where does it go??

EDIT/ January 07, 2013 - No doubt, the Schnoor washer is one of four from the caliper mounting bolts which showed up missing today upon disassembly for a fresh tire. Sloppy work on my part and a marathon search to find this post and edit. Now . . . where did I put that washer? :blush:

IMG_0314.JPG

• 9 years later...

My Speedo is bouncing a lot like Tom M's. It settles down for a few k's then starts bouncing again from one side to the other.

Any fresh thoughts on a solution or do I follow Doc's path?

10 hours ago, cash1000 said:

My Speedo is bouncing a lot like Tom M's. It settles down for a few k's then starts bouncing again from one side to the other.

Any fresh thoughts on a solution or do I follow Doc's path?

Have you tightened up your gearbox angle drive? That can sometimes settle the bounce down a bit . . .  for a time . . . :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

How many km on your white face Veglia, cash1000?

None of my three made it to, or much past 50.000 km/30,000 miles . . .

• Like 1