!Update 10/15/11! Shifting still bad .Almost killed me !

mznyc

Hi Pete

Thanks for the input.I have bled the clutch,no change.

I would not dispute that the gearbox is durable(bulletproof),just way to high a ratio of owners have had some kind of poorly,non-functioning operating problem.In this thread alone 6 people are sayin they have a similar problem.My guess is that it's hundreds,if we did a poll and everyone responded .

Thanks

Michael

I will respond to this, i also have had problems with false neutrals not just on my guzzi but my vfr as well and loads of other bikes i have had and i know where the problem lies. Its Me :rolleyes: with the roads up here,bend after bend after bend up hill down hill more bends then short straights and twisties as well constantly going up and down the gearbox i sometimes get complacent/lazy with my gearchanges and fluff a few. But thats probably just me, was hankering after a mana (automatic bike) for a while,but will stick with what i have. :drink:

Gary

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Pete

Thanks for the input.I have bled the clutch,no change.

I would not dispute that the gearbox is durable(bulletproof),just way to high a ratio of owners have had some kind of poorly,non-functioning operating problem.In this thread alone 6 people are sayin they have a similar problem.My guess is that it's hundreds,if we did a poll and everyone responded .

Thanks

Michael

I will respond to this, i also have had problems with false neutrals not just on my guzzi but my vfr as well and loads of other bikes i have had and i know where the problem lies. Its Me :rolleyes: with the roads up here,bend after bend after bend up hill down hill more bends then short straights and twisties as well constantly going up and down the gearbox i sometimes get complacent/lazy with my gearchanges and fluff a few. But thats probably just me, was hankering after a mana (automatic bike) for a while,but will stick with what i have. :drink:

Gary

Ha Ha are you getting a hold of some single malt Oban Gary? That'd make me miss shifts :grin:

This is definitely a mechanical problem,I very rarely miss shifts(like one every 10k miles,usually out of laziness/fatigue) on several bikes I currently own or any Ive owned in the past

Cheers

Michael

After all these years of, well, "gearbox issues," the one that I'm not sure you've looked at (ok, I have not re-read the entire thread) is the clutch master cylinder. More than one have broken the internal spring needing a rebuild (not difficult).

Mine showed up after a clutch bleed with what seemed like too much play at the lever.

Worth a check . . .

Ride well, docc

Hi Docc,

How would I know if the spring was broken? Clutch operation seems normal to me.

Tom M(Thanks again Tom :bier: ) was kind enough to take a look at my cover as he's had his apart.We noticed that there seems to be some play in 2nd and 3rd gears when rotating gears by hand.They don't snap as cleanly into the indents on the underside of the gear wheel.Not sure this is normal or not but more slop than we expected.I'll try to post a video next week when I get home,Wed or Thurs,Still without power since last week in the aftermath of Irene :huh2:

Would love to aquire a whole cover and assembly as I dont trust this one if anyone knows where i can get my paws on one. :whistle:

Hi Docc,

How would I know if the spring was broken? Clutch operation seems normal to me.

Tom M(Thsnks again Tom :bier: ) was kind enough to take a look at my cover as he's had his apart.We noticed that there seems to be some play in 2nd and 3rd gears when rotating gears by hand.They don't snap as cleanly into the indents on the underside of the gear wheel.Not sure this is normal or not but more slop than we expected.I'll try to post a video next week when I get home,Wed or Thurs,Still without power since last week in the aftermath of Irene :huh2:

Would love to aquire a whole cover and assembly as I dont trust this one if anyone knows where i can get my paws on one. :whistle:

Yeah, the coil spring inside the clutch master cylinder was in several parts (three or four pieces - thread here somewhere - search by "relevance"). The lever picked up excessive play that was only noticed during a fluid bleeding procedure. Worked much better after the rebuild!

• 1 month later...

Being a new Guzzi owner I'm getting use to all the Guzzi imperfection or charm :). I also got clutch issues when I change the stock levers to Pazzo or similar aftermarket version and what I learn is two folds.

Change the clutch fluids, mine is in there since 02 and you WILL feel a difference after bleeding the old sludge out.

After you change the fluid, the engagement point will be different as there is less air and water in the line, the point where the clutch lever engage the clutch piston might need backing out a 1/4 turn, to fully release the clutch plates. My bike also runs fine when cold and after a 30min ride, my clutch act up when its hot, like it wont shift right and also almost got me kill in traffic. I pull over and got out my tool kit and and only thing I can think of is clutch related and I adjusted the lever engagement where its in contact with the clutch piston and loose it up and my clutch working properly again.

The same thing happen when I change my brake lever and bleed the front brake. Bike will ride fine for a while then my front end lock up. back out on the brake lever engagement and all is fine.

Brake/clutch fluid will expand when heat up so what seems fine when cold will not be when hot. I'm just vary lucky when my clutch/brake acted up I'm not on highway doing 80 mph... that would be the end of me.

Regarding neutral switch, my contact wire was so loose that when I touch it, it come lose right away and I though I broke the wire. The factory connection was just too loose to begin with and I use a needle plier to make the connection tighter. I think thats why I got some none start issues sometimes.

Check for the easy things first before tearing into the transmission.

Change the clutch fluids, mine is in there since 02 and you WILL feel a difference after bleeding the old sludge out.

Did that ,no change

After you change the fluid, the engagement point will be different as there is less air and water in the line, the point where the clutch lever engage the clutch piston might need backing out a 1/4 turn, to fully release the clutch plates.

Did that ,no change

The factory connection was just too loose to begin with and I use a needle plier to make the connection tighter.

Did that ,no change

Check for the easy things first before tearing into the transmission.

Did that

Hi Guzziyang

Thanks for the suggestions,responses noted in your quote

Michael

OK ,Uncle!! I give in. :notworthy: After speaking to Mike at MPH,Charlie at Zydeco Racing,and Pete Roper's, advice I'm just gonna bite the bullet and go for a clutch replacement.

I'll post here when It's done,which may not happen till next year.Bummer,but looking forward to a properly running Scura. :bike: