Which Luggage Rack?

moscowphil

Hi everyone,

I want to go touring on my Scura, so need to fit a luggage rack. It needs to be strong enough to carry a small tent, but being a poser I don't want it to ruin the look of the bike. So far I've found two that might be OK - an aluminium one from Agostinis in Mandello, and one being sold by Stucchi Luigi (also Mandello)which I think might be a genuine Guzzi item. Has anyone had any experience of either of these 2 racks? Or anyone got any other recommendations? And anyone know if they are available in the UK? Cheers. Phil

Hi everyone,

I want to go touring on my Scura, so need to fit a luggage rack. It needs to be strong enough to carry a small tent, but being a poser I don't want it to ruin the look of the bike. So far I've found two that might be OK - an aluminium one from Agostinis in Mandello, and one being sold by Stucchi Luigi (also Mandello)which I think might be a genuine Guzzi item. Has anyone had any experience of either of these 2 racks? Or anyone got any other recommendations? And anyone know if they are available in the UK? Cheers. Phil

I opted for the MG rack although it stated cary weight is only about 7 pounds. I was told they actually can hold much more. For me, I rarely need more than a backpack or gym bag and I yhought it goes best with the lines of my bike. If you are looking potentially to carry more weight you may want the non Guzzi options.

Bob

guzzi.JPG

I have the factory MG rack and expandable bag that goes with it. It works OK for what it is but both the rack and the bag are pretty small. With the bag expanded it will just hold an XL full face helmet. The MG rack cantilevers back from the passenger peg mounts while the Stucchi rack has an additional mounting point under the tail which might give it more weight carrying capacity.

You might want to check the Ventura rack and bag system. I think they have a number of different interchangeable racks and bags.

I put a thin plywood base in my Cortech soft tail bag so I could mount it on my MG rack when I recently went camping. It worked out great even if it did look a little funny:

IMG_0845.jpgIMG_0842.jpg

Thanks - turns out Guzzirider lives near me as well, so I've sent him a message to say I'll have it. Hope he reads it - I've just discovered I've got messages from years ago that I never read! So apologies to anyone whose PM'd me and never got a reply.

I have a ventura rack and it will hold 20 pounds easy. It's solid. And ugly.

Here's a picture with the rack off, so you can see the 'horns' that stick up. You can buy a variety of rack sizes and styles, so that's a plus. But...it's ugly. I don't seem to have a picture of the rack mounted on the bike.

IMG_0042.JPG

Thanks - turns out Guzzirider lives near me as well, so I've sent him a message to say I'll have it. Hope he reads it - I've just discovered I've got messages from years ago that I never read! So apologies to anyone whose PM'd me and never got a reply.

Seen ya message- and yes its yours if you want it!

Cheers

Guy

I have the OEM rack on mine. I can't remember if I got it here or eBay. I am satisfied with it. The one ponti_33609 posted from MGCycle looks good too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
On 9/28/2010 at 1:26 PM, ponti_33609 said:

I opted for the MG rack although it stated cary weight is only about 7 pounds. I was told they actually can hold much more. For me, I rarely need more than a backpack or gym bag and I yhought it goes best with the lines of my bike. If you are looking potentially to carry more weight you may want the non Guzzi options.

Bob

guzzi.JPG

I have the same rack just purchased, it looks like you have another bracket under the bike as I’m not sure where it fits correctly