Breva 1100 handling

RussCo

Hello again. Touring around Europe 2 up with luggage found we hit the road with (presumably) the centrestand far too easily. Especially those tight bumpy corners in Italy. Could also feel the rear shock bottoming out on the bumps. I have it dialled up to maximum pre-load and wonder if there's an accessory spring available that could be easily installed to fix the problem. Even without my wife and luggage and with it still set as hard as possible it did not feel too much. Are these beasts known to be too soft on the back? Thanks.

Hello again. Touring around Europe 2 up with luggage found we hit the road with (presumably) the centrestand far too easily. Especially those tight bumpy corners in Italy. Could also feel the rear shock bottoming out on the bumps. I have it dialled up to maximum pre-load and wonder if there's an accessory spring available that could be easily installed to fix the problem. Even without my wife and luggage and with it still set as hard as possible it did not feel too much. Are these beasts known to be too soft on the back? Thanks.

I have never had any problems with the handling of my Breva. however, I have never loaded it with a lot of luggage.

If you bottom out on the springs/shocks, I seriously think something is wrong. Maybe spring, damper problem? Otherwise overloading, maybe a diet would be on the cards?? :rasta::food:

Seriously, the Breva is the best handling of all my Guzzis, by quite a margin. And surely not soft!

I don't have a Breva, I have a Griso. When I test rode a Breva I found it to be soft and marshmallowy. I guess it is a matter of perspective, but it is either too soft a spring or your shock has dampening issues.

To check the spring rate, measure the sag with and without rider/gear on board. There is plenty of info on the web regarding setting the sag. If your sag is wrong then your spring is the wrong rate. If you have too much sag with the rider on board or if you have not enough sag without the rider on board (after getting the sag with rider on right) then you need a stiffer spring. If your sag is right then something may be wrong with the dampening.