Bad noise... wtf is this?

Guest Cantaloop

Not the clutch? That would be my first thought - clutch/flywheel esp the very last little tinkle you hear...or starter... but not that either... I take it bike is in neutral? You tried clutch in/out? It's twin plate model?

Cam chain?

Sounds horrible. Have you tried touching a screwdriver handle to your ear with blade against motor to isolate the source of the noise?

KB

Guest Cantaloop

Not the clutch? That would be my first thought - clutch/flywheel esp the very last little tinkle you hear...or starter... but not that either... I take it bike is in neutral? You tried clutch in/out? It's twin plate model?

Cam chain?

Sounds horrible. Have you tried touching a screwdriver handle to your ear with blade against motor to isolate the source of the noise?

KB

Yeah it is a twinplate-model. I tried clutch in/out - nothing changed. Today i will remove the starter, to have a better look inside...

...I tried clutch in/out - nothing changed. etc...

It could still be associated w clutch/flywheel assy. It sounds like something that rotates rather than something that goes up & down. Maybe someone left a spanner in there! Was it all working good for you before noise?

KB

Guest Cantaloop

It is funny - my V11 runs ok. You could hear the noise only in low turns and when switching off. Clutch works like it should do.

Guest Cantaloop

It was the timing chain tensioner - may be the wrong englisch word. It was bent, so the chain touched the rear plate. I don't know, why it was bent, but now everything works properly und the sound is like it should be.

Unfortunately, I have developped the same noise these last few weeks.

Is this a case for transporting the bike to the mechanics towed by a car, or am i still able to ride up there (60 kms) without fearing it will blow outside the engine ?

It was the timing chain tensioner - may be the wrong englisch word. It was bent, so the chain touched the rear plate. I don't know, why it was bent, but now everything works properly und the sound is like it should be.

So, did you replace parts or just bend the old ones back in line?

I don't know the answer to Jihem's question. I suppose the trailer is the safe bet . . .

Unfortunately, I have developped the same noise these last few weeks.

Is this a case for transporting the bike to the mechanics towed by a car, or am i still able to ride up there (60 kms) without fearing it will blow outside the engine ?

Hi Jihem,

My experience was on Tontis but I guess applies to V11 motor too - when camchain tensioner is not working for whatever reason & camchain is loose, it will rub on the casing & eat into it. Obviously the more you use it like this the worse it gets & the more ali swarf/powder is going into your oil.

Wether you trailer it or ride it 50km is up to you. Are you sure it's camchain noise? How long's it been doing it? How bad is it? You could open it up & take a look? If it were mine & I was certain it was camchain, I needed it to shop & trailering was a problem, I'd ride it steadily (hard acceleration/decelerations probably wouldn't do it much good) the 50km!

If it has been eating itself I'd do an oil & filter change.

That's what I'd do, but I'm no expert.

KB :sun:

well, it's been doing that for the last month, but truth is I hardly ever ride the bike now.

No, I'm not sure it's the cam chain and I will NOT look into the bike as I'm useless and even dangerous at that.

It's a wizzzz noise it makes when i accelerate.

I will call up the nearest Guzzi mechanic (50kms) and ask him advice.

thanx for replying guys !

I chased some terrible noise for years, a ringing noise that I thought was chain related. I even replaced the tentioner (which was a good thing anyway) but it did not fix the problem. In the end I found out it was... wait, should I really tell this? OK. It was the frigging clamps between downpipes and crossover, hitting the sump. Man.

Anyway when I replaced my tensioner I took the opportunity to check what the chain can hit if no tensioner AT ALL is mounted. I couldn't find ANY chance of the chain hitting ANYTHING. I know others have told otherwise and I don't suggest they are wrong but maybe there are different blocks or timing chests or different length chains or whatever. I simply could not pull the chain out long enough to touch the case.

well, it's been doing that for the last month, but truth is I hardly ever ride the bike now.

No, I'm not sure it's the cam chain and I will NOT look into the bike as I'm useless and even dangerous at that.

It's a wizzzz noise it makes when i accelerate.

I will call up the nearest Guzzi mechanic (50kms) and ask him advice.

thanx for replying guys !

Had a similar noise but discovered it was my new keyring and garage keys vibrating around the ignition. Had earplugs in so couldn't really focus on where it was from at first . . . but certainly made a 'wizzzzz' noise when I accelerated !!

Probably the cheapest fix so far. If you need any more crap advice be sure to let me know. :thumbsup:

Got some insurance contract i have and overlooked to pick the bike up today and bring it to the mechanic...