Dipstick

Guest pasturej

A major pet peeve for me, that plastic dipstick. The problem is you have to spin it in and then all the way out to read it. And the dipstick has ridges [because it is so bloody cheap] which let the oil work it's way up when you are spinning it thereby causing an incorrect reading.

The Moto Guzzi aluminum d-stick seems to me to be what they should have used in the first place.

Ciao, Steve G.

Hold on, you have to screw it all the way in to get an accurate reading? I had previously read here and been told by Moto International that oil level should be read with the dipstick just resting in the hole, not screwed in at all.

From the Owner's Manual:

The oil level check should be carried out after the engine has run for a few minutes: the dipstick plug > should be screwed up completely.

Also, marginal oil levels are known to contribute to the intermittent oil light under hard acceleration.

Don't you need a tool to get the aluminum stick off?:luigi:

Do you geezers maybe need glasses? :nerd: I really don't see the problem in reading the dipstick :huh2:

3 questions:

When did Guzzi change the design to the current black plastic dipstick?

What did they use in the past on other models?

Who sells the dipsticks with the thermometer in them?

Guest pasturej

I bought the aluminium dipstick (thanks for the advice) and now find it much easier to read the oil level. You do need to carry the right size allen key to undo though.

Jonathan