Seventh South'n Spine Raid 2011

docc

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it's true, we're in the mid-forties for lows this week! Next weekend - who knows?

I'm glad I have an AeroStich and lots of dielectric grease on my connectors!:luigi:

Got an e/m from John C, and cannot figure out how to reply. Doh.

Anyway, John, as it's too early on Sunday a.m. to call, and your questions about lodging, etc., at this date might be of some help to others, I'll post here.

Anyway, for rates, etc., go here to see the Lodge at Tellico, http://www.lodgeattellico.com/.

Room rates are there, but range from c.$80 to $100. As I have told others, call the place; don't email reservations. Think they may be full. There are other options, and someone may be willing, as you ask, to share.

Believe it or not, tho, I really don't know who is coming. It's one of those seriously unorganized events! That usually adds "charm" to it all, but can be maddening, as in trying to arrange any double-bunking. Docc says 6 or so are coming in from central Tenn., but all from here are, I think, couples.

Anyway, for other options, try going to google, then maps, then punching this into window: "lodging loc: Tellico Plains, TN 37385"

We are not campers, but there is a motorcycle-specific camp just down the road from the Lodge, http://www.huntslodge.com/. It has small cottages and campsites.

Hope this helps. Call if still confused!

Bill

404.808.8486 (M)

Good news to hear from John and get him in touch with my friend, Rick, from Post #16.

For the record, no one coming from Mid-Tenn would be "couples."

And the pure magic of combining "maddening" and "charm" into a single sentence reminds of being married to this (maddening) charming Italian woman. Really, no, it's so charming (maddening) . :wub::wacko:

I need a charming/maddening ride to straighten my life out. I'm counting on you guys!:drink:

"Some people" doubt you are married, docc, and hope you can prove it by bringing SWMBO to one of these raids sometime. :race:

The weather is looking typical for a SSR, with wet stuff likely. Still, Friday's looking grand. And, Sat fine enough. The predicted early low ceiling and "showers" will discourage squids and cruiser crowd folks, unless they go to the "hourly" details and see that it should be nice, at least 'til we light the logs in the firepit Sat evening. By then, of course, we won't care, as beer keeps one dry. :bier:

Seriously, we can now wake you Tenn. mid-staters up early for that Sat start as the sun should not be a factor going east on the Cherohala. Even better, LEO's aren't likely in the sky or shoulders when weather is iffy.

As for our convoy couples, Cam & his Cathy (of Clemson) and Mike and his Sue (of near us in Atlanta) will be in our gaggle heading north on Friday relatively early. Cam is trying to get his Nero Corsa ready, and cathy rides a V-Strom. If the Guzzi isn't roadworthy by then (long story; you'll hear it there :lol: ), they may both be on their R1200RT. Mike and Sue will be on a black Norge. I will, off course, bring something to sip. :drink:

Oh, you'll be glad to know I am looking at a friend's Coppa; won't have it soon enough for this SSR, but mebbe by next.

Bill

Let's all expect next year's SSR to be a summer event after Bill is finished at his northern venture.

Well talk about this weekend, but someone should take notes since, later on, there could be a case for plausible deniability.:drink:

At 0600 this morning, local stations reporting Friday as partly sunny H85/L55, Saturday partly sunny H88/L62, Sunday 30% chance of rain H88/62...looking pretty good if the weather patterns maintain transit speeds. :oldgit:

At 0600 this morning, local stations reporting Friday as partly sunny H85/L55, Saturday partly sunny H88/L62, Sunday 30% chance of rain H88/62...looking pretty good if the weather patterns maintain transit speeds. :oldgit:

7 day frontal map says great weather for riding, bad for fishing.

Brother Chuck said he may come also. He rides a kawi zrx1100.

So last weekend I sealed the moisture detection device on the Guzzi and took it for a ride directly into the eye of a full down pour. I am happy to say the it failed to detect any extra moisture and all my instrumentation stayed active the full time!! I'm also still engineering the proper carry packaging to be able to accommodate at least 3 liters of Rancho Loco Brewery's finest HIGH TEST BEST including:

Slap Me In The Face Behotch Belgian Ale

California Cameltoe (Cali Ale)

Pussy Galore (named after a James Bond Character, right?) Imperial Stout

and lastly (Maybe)

What Catherine Really Thought of Gregori Russian Imperial Stout.

While it won't be truly Eye-talian like the fine Grappa that Bill will provide, at least my Brewery is located on Taliaferro Rd (Taliaferro is Eye-Talian for Iron Bender).

Oh yeah, I guess I still have to prepare room for some clothing.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and to meeting the new faces that will be participating!!

(Docc, I think I can retrofit the drive shaft out of my Eldo to make it work for your bike!!)

Rick (aka Farmer Rick)

In true farm fashion, maybe you could supply the correct grain (?) of sawdust to add to my rear drive. I hear it's a method that quiets things down and the last word on those nasty leaks!:luigi:

Last year, the bier scow was a soft tail pack on a BMW 800. This year, I think we've arranged for a Trumpet Tiger to carry the brew in GIVI luggage.

Just a mile or so in GIVI and it will all taste Italian.

Well, after the second grappa everything tastes Italian!:helmet:

Alas, my run to this region (Dragon, etc.) is scheduled for July 7-12, where I'll be leading (gulp) a pack of my riding buddies from my high school. We hatched this plan back in September '10 at my 25-year reunion. I had ridden my Thruxton from Richmond to Pennsylvania, and the local ones and I arranged a ride the next day. So, strictly on a budgetary basis, I cannot attend this year.

Besides, I have a bad habit of annoucning things before they actually happen, and this is no excpetion. So, if a dude looking like the Blue Power Ranger glides silently up to your group on a blue Thruxton, well, that's me. Otherwise, let me get organized with my other projects and I'll look forward to seeing Guzzi puctures on killboy.com in then next few weeks.

Ooh, a Thruxton would be a welcome sight (and sound!).

But, you'll have to bring your own wiring diagram!:sun:

Just a preliminary report: All is well and the gathering was great fun. There were six spine frames, two Norges, and two Stelvios which came and went at the regularity of lightning strikes and about the same predictability. Several other riders joined us, at various times, with various bikes including a Triumph Tiger electric, four BMWs, a very fine V-Strom, and a vintage Ducati.

At last count, no one had gone hungry, there were (too) many toasts to Jaap's recent birthday, no tickets (one "conversation"), and no mechanical or gravitational incidents (that involved our group).

From the numbers, it looks like the (un)event was half riding and half being around one another and the bikes. Thanks to V11LeMans.com and TellicoMotorcycleOutfitters as well as the lodges at tellico for making it all possible!

Ride well, and see you next time! docc in middle Tennessee, USA

I made it home. Had a great time. Only had one close call the whole weekend. Started to rain then storm real hard. Stopped under a gas station cover and a lightning hit the telephone pole about 75 feet away.