transmission problem, Pawl spring

Guest david scott

Guest david scott

Went for a short ride, much shorter than anticipated. Filled up with gas but before I shut the engine off tried to get the bike in neutral. Gave up and filled the tank. Left the station and could not get the bike into any gear but 2nd. could get it out of 2nd but only back into that gear. Looked at my V11 sport service manual and really couldnt figure out where the pawl spring was or how to replace it. Anyone had any dealings with the atlanta Moto guzzi dealerships. Bike has 2300 miles on it and is just out of warranty. I bought the bike 6 weeks ago with 1300 miles on it. Daggum great ride with a stucci crossover and mistrial race cans. that is when the transmission shifts. Can anyone talk me thru the spring change. Looked thru the threads. And tried to call hank for one of his springs but nobody home. Regards David (glad I have a R1100S) to keep me going.

If you're handy with spanners the spring swap shouldn't be all that bad. must remove the starter and side plate. The proper shop manual will be a help.

There's always the worry that the replacement spring is no better than the munted one. :(

I've e-mailed a guy in Oklahoma who , purportedly, has made an upgrade. No word back yet though. There is yet some mystery over the part numbers of the early, faulty and ( perhaps) replacement springs. :blink:

Check with Paul at Atlanta Ducati-Triumph-Moto Guzzi -MV Agusta-and-Capuccino as they may be a good , but sllow, alternative to wrenching it yourself. You're not under warranty?? :mg:

Box in NEUTRAL.

Detach shock reservoir from bracket.

Isolate battery.

Remove starter motor.

Detach neutral switch term.

Detach shift link from shaft.

Drain gbox oil.

Remove 11 (5mm) socket cap bolts. Remove Selector cover plate (there's no gasket, goo holds pretty firm).

Remove 2 selector gears (retained by circlips) & mechanism, to access spring.

Ensure NEUTRAL in box (check spaces between sliding dogs & gears are equidistant) & in selector before replacing plate.

It's a bit fiddly but fairly straight forward.

KB, Cymru :sun:

Guest david scott

Thanks Doc, Baldini. Two questions. How do you get the gear box in neutral. Has anyone heard from hank the spring man in Oklahoma? I tried to email and call him. NO answer from either. Will call paul today and see if they have the spring. If guzzi wont cover it, will try it myself. My bike was purchased in Sep 2001, so it is out of warranty two months. Can'

t believe the Previous Owner didnt ride the bike anymore than he did. The speedo was replaced at 1000 miles and it had 313 on the new speedo when I bought it. Maybe he was waiting on springs. Regards guzzed in alabama :mg:

I too have had the bad spring demons visit upon my LeMans. I now carry a spare spring ($3.00) to ward off those naughty guys. My Karma bell works for my tires too, so far. The Karma spring has been working for a little over a year now.

David,

Spring is a common & known problem, & in my view should have been a recall. It may (!) be worth pushing Guzzi on the warranty...?

I found I could get neutral running it up the road - it wasn't easy & needed a bit of fiddling on the pedal. It is worth stopping & starting the bike between attempts.

I think you should be able to remove selector plate whilst in gear. I didn't, so I'm not sure & I don't know any consequences.... It will be difficult to align selector forks if you try to replace plate with box in gear. Again, I don't know, but you should be able to get box to neutral by hand, unloaded, once cover is off.

Carl Allison kindly sent me a spring that I believe (Carl?) came from Hank Blackstock in Oklahoma. There is a short section bent at 90 degrees (this is where it breaks) to the rest of the spring which retains it at the bottom end. The location is marginal - the spring tends to pull sideways in use & is not retained securely there. This short section, on the spring Carl sent me was even shorter than the Guzzi one. I was concerned that it could slide right off it's location, so I didn't use it. (sorry Carl, & thanks again :bier: ).

Sweep recently said here that Guzzi have recognised the spring problem & issued a modified part, but I haven't been able to contact him.

Guest david scott

Hank Blackstock called this am. He no longer has his moto guzzi. Had so many problems with it he canned it. He said the spring company that he got the springs for still makes them. He said he sent about 15 out with no problems that he heard of. His spring has been in his bike for two years now without a problem. I just ordered two springs. Call Bonnie at 405 524 7223 ask for a "moto guzzi shifter spring. cost is 12.50 apiece. Will give you guys an update when I get mine installed. Hank also said his timing sprocket came off destroying valves and doing a lot of damage from improperly torqued bolts. Said a lot of problems with the early 2002 bikes. (which mine is). May pull the rear off a check the torque of my sprocket. hope this helps/ guzzed in alabama :doh:

David,

Spring is a common & known problem, & in my view should have been a recall. It may (!) be worth pushing Guzzi on the warranty...?

I found I could get neutral running it up the road - it wasn't easy & needed a bit of fiddling on the pedal. It is worth stopping & starting the bike between attempts.

I think you should be able to remove selector plate whilst in gear. I didn't, so I'm not sure & I don't know any consequences.... It will be difficult to align selector forks if you try to replace plate with box in gear. Again, I don't know, but you should be able to get box to neutral by hand, unloaded, once cover is off.

Carl Allison kindly sent me a spring that I believe (Carl?) came from Hank Blackstock in Oklahoma. There is a short section bent at 90 degrees (this is where it breaks) to the rest of the spring which retains it at the bottom end. The location is marginal - the spring tends to pull sideways in use & is not retained securely there. This short section, on the spring Carl sent me was even shorter than the Guzzi one. I was concerned that it could slide right off it's location, so I didn't use it. (sorry Carl, & thanks again :bier: ).

Sweep recently said here that Guzzi have recognised the spring problem & issued a modified part, but I haven't been able to contact him.

It was a recall for some of the 2002 models and perhaps others? The Scura's were definatly covered at least.

Hank Blackstock made the spring. It doesn't have the 90˚ bend which breaks according to him. I don't know if he has any left, he ditched his Lemon LeMans (maybe another Guzzi later) so he hasn't been to this site since last year. He may have some springs left, but if you're trying to contact him, be patient. It took two months or so for him to reply to me recently. He's busy hunting and fishing etc. I paid $5 for the spring and $5 to mail it to Wales, so KB - if you're not going to use it, pass it on to the next needy MG owner.

Carl,

I will happily send on the spring, refund your costs or return it to you as you wish. The Blackstock spring appears to have the same radius bend as the Guzzi item. As I mentioned it is shorter where it locates at the bottom, a location I feel is already inadequate, but for this I would have fitted it. Thanks for your help.

Murray,

Do I understand correctly - That Moto Guzzi in the States issued a recall on all 02 Scuras & some other 02 V11's to replace this spring? Can you tell me when? As far as I know UK has had no V11 recalls whatsoever...

Thanks, KB, Cymru :sun:

Atlanta Ducati-Triumph-Moto Guzzi -MV Agusta-and-Capuccino

Is this really a bike shop's name?

Actually "Atlanta Ducati Triumph" do sell Moto Guzzi and were selling MV Agusta.

The Capuccino was really just wishful thinking on my part :) .

They are very nice people, knowledgable and very busy.

Just ordered two from Bonnie "just in case".... She was laughing that apparently this thread has really piqued interest, as she's sold a bunch recently, where she hadn't sold any for a long time.

She says their springs are made from a slightly larger material, and modified a bit. And although so far they seem to be working fine, they suspect that the fundamental design of the spring lends to their eventual breakage, so even theirs may break eventually at the bend :huh2:

al