broken pawl spring

charley

My newly acquired 2004 Lemans with 17k has come down with the dreaded broken pawl spring. I've popped the trans cover and found that it has the correct 15 mm arm and I',m wondering why this happened. I also can't seem to find the broken off bit and I'm concerned that it could somehow still be in the gearbox. There was a small amount of metal on the magnetic drain plug , so could it have been ground up? Are there new and improved springs available ,or is 04 23 83 00 my only option. What kind of sealant is used on the cover on reinstall? Also any tips on the this operation will be appreciated.

Hi, Charley!

Fuzz on the drain plug is pretty typical. Not likely that it is the remnants of your spring.

Where did your spring break (post a picture)?

Others have tried the aftermarket springs, but they don't seem to be the final solution.

I have heard that talismans and incantations can be relied upon . . . :sun:

Hi Charley,

It just seems to happen regardless of whether you have all the right bits.

If the broken bit had gone between the gears you would have known about it, I don't think it would have just been quietly ground up. Did it drain out with the oil?

I suggest you use a non-setting sealant on the cover - something that will make the cover easy to remove next time!

After being stranded the first time (21,000km), I plan to replace my spring every 20,000km. It's a PITA, but better in my own garage at a time of my choosing, than on the side of the road somewhere.

Good luck, it's fairly straight-forward if you follow the guidance on this site.

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Charley,

Sorry to hear about the dreaded Italia Shrapnel.The pawl arm was also revised,so you may want to source another one.

If you haven't found THIS yet,it is the definitive source for info concerning pawl spring failure causes and solutions.

Good luck, shouldn't be a big deal to sort

Michael

Any tricks to reinstalling cover?

I had a hard time getting the cover back on the first time I had to replace my spring. I found that the easiest way to do it is to shift the gear selector into neutral then make sure that the shifter forks in the gearbox are in neutral. Neutral in the gearbox is when the the bronze(?) forks that slide from left to right in the gearbox are at the midpoint of their travel on their shafts.

FWIW I got 15k miles out of the stock spring and 7k out of the aftermarket Racecrafters spring. I now have 10k on the "improved" factory spring.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Any tricks to reinstalling cover?

I had a hard time getting the cover back on the first time I had to replace my spring. I found that the easiest way to do it is to shift the gear selector into neutral then make sure that the shifter forks in the gearbox are in neutral. Neutral in the gearbox is when the the bronze(?) forks that slide from left to right in the gearbox are at the midpoint of their travel on their shafts.

Or, sit on the bike pushing it gently back and forth while adjusting the forks with your left hand. You will feel when it's in neutral. It might also be a good idea to make sure the cover goes into position before putting on the sealant on the rim.

/Anders

My newly acquired 2004 Lemans with 17k has come down with the dreaded broken pawl spring. I've popped the trans cover and found that it has the correct 15 mm arm and I',m wondering why this happened. I also can't seem to find the broken off bit and I'm concerned that it could somehow still be in the gearbox. There was a small amount of metal on the magnetic drain plug , so could it have been ground up? Are there new and improved springs available ,or is 04 23 83 00 my only option. What kind of sealant is used on the cover on reinstall? Also any tips on the this operation will be appreciated.

Got the new spring in today, and reassembled the shift unit. This was a very easy job after reading all the posting and the only special tools needed were snap ring pliers small size and ball type allen wrench for the bottom bolts. Got an extra spring just incase, but the new spring was a larger diameter than the original. So its my guess that even in 04 there were still faulty springs being installed at the factory. If this happens to you don't be afraid to this repair.

Charley, what was the partnumber, was it genuine Moto Guzzi and did you get it from your local dealer or an internet shop? I`m thinking maby not all dealers have the larger diameter spring.

My 2005 v11 is stored for the winter and the garage will also to do some tuning, checking and greasing. I do filters and oils myself.

Maby a good idea to have them change the spring too. Have no idea if it was ever changed by previous owner. Km is now 27.000.

The part number is GU04238300 date 24/02/2010. APE GILERA PIAGGIO VESPA ETC. it says genuine. the old spring measured .o78 thousandths and new spring is .080 thousandths. Hope this helps identify the new parts