those broken pipes

got home from work to eat lunch today,heard a wierd noise in kitchen, after looking everywhere, realized it was coming from under the house. we've had 20 degree weather, thought pipes were wrapped ok......

call work,i won't be back today......

had the stuff to fix it, i'm now soaking wet, muddy, have drop lights on pvc repairs, am waiting couple hours to turn water back on.

funny thing, i came in after repairs, want to wash some mud off in the sink, duh....the water's off.....huh...

hope those were the only breaks, i'll know in couple hours.

hope your day is going better than mine....:-)

stef

After the fact: an old plumber's trick, when you are repairing the PVC or CPVC pipes poke a wad of white bread into the pipe with water dripping out of it to stop the drip while you are letting the primer and glue to "set up" on reassembly.

Also, wrap the split foam insulation an ALL ( hot &cold)pipes under the house.

Could be worse. Where I live people have "summer homes" that get cold in the winter. One neighbor had a pipe in the attic break (not insulated) and for a week it poured water through the entire house until another neighbor discovered it. Needless to say, new sheetrock, floors, furniture, ,etc.

After the fact: an old plumber's trick, when you are repairing the PVC or CPVC pipes poke a wad of white bread into the pipe with water dripping out of it to stop the drip while you are letting the primer and glue to "set up" on reassembly.

Also, wrap the split foam insulation an ALL ( hot &cold)pipes under the house.

thanks for the white bread tip. i'll use it next time. nice to have water again. used girlfriends hairdryer to warm up the broken pvc & cpvc pipes while glueing. hope i can get all of the mud out of it before she comes over this weekend. :-)

cheers, stef

Could be worse. Where I live people have "summer homes" that get cold in the winter. One neighbor had a pipe in the attic break (not insulated) and for a week it poured water through the entire house until another neighbor discovered it. Needless to say, new sheetrock, floors, furniture, ,etc.

FWIW. Some insurance companies will cover "immediate discharge" of water only. e.g. a discharge in the last 24 hrs, not over a "long" period of time i.e. if the lines burst and discharge over a period of days.

Heres another for cold climates.

Have a light bulb burning under the house (crawl space) this makes a huge difference 40-60 watt is all it takes.

Insulate the skirt, or if just vertical foundation over dirt ensure vapor barrier on earth is intact.

Nothin like cold to bring us back to our roots eh? Outhouses, chopping wood, frozen oil lines, plastic on the inside of the windows. Blechh! :wacko:

FWIW. Some insurance companies will cover "immediate discharge" of water only. e.g. a discharge in the last 24 hrs, not over a "long" period of time i.e. if the lines burst and discharge over a period of days.

Interesting. It happens that this person had his own insurance agency (and was fully covered).

• 3 weeks later...

broken pipes are bad, hmmkay?

ice_cars.jpg

good thing this guy's garage was AAA Approved, right?

:rolleyes:

Good thing it was cars: as long as the windows were all closed, it's just going to take a couple of warm days & the cages will be free again. Can you think what horrors would ensue if those had been bikes encased in ice? :o:vomit: