Broken Shift Spring

hgravelpha@aol.com

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too would have a set of improved springs as a safety net.I've had no problems so far,but who wants to wait on parts if it should go :huh2:

It sound as if enough have broken to warrant on the side of caution. :thumbsup:

J.R.

Of the three springs in the mechanism the 'right ' spring, which indexes the gear selection, has a 180* bend so apparently it can be reliably accomplished. Certainly the retention would be improved and there may be a tighter, more consistent engagement ( less slop).

I would favor the 180 if there's room for it to hook over the plate. David, what do you think from what you just saw in your box?

BTW, springs are on their way to Thang to arrive in CA Dec. 3, UPS.

(Oh, and isn't that another nice digitally remastered sketch?) :thumbsup:

I know nothing much about metalurgy. We need comments of someone who does on this.

I think there was room to wrap the spring round, but we need to check with parts dismantled.

I don't see why 180 should be weaker than 90 if radius is simply continued round?

If we don't do 180, we should at least extend the short arm by 3mm or so if there's room in the mech.

It's still not clear whether the radius on the original spring is too sharp or if it was just dodgy mat/manufacture. It does appear that a softer radius would cause less stress (:angry:) ...

Cheers, KB, Cymru :sun:

Guest david scott

I believe there is plenty of room for the 180 degree bend. I didnt notice, daggum it, the movement of the spring when assembled. moving as KB noted, the bend would be a good addition. It is a pain (for me) to get the side plate off. about 30-each way. I have a buddy who is a metal worker, a real master. I will talk to him about the bend/stress relief. He will have some good ideas as you all have. So far the oklahoma spring is doing fine (field test of 200 miles) :>) David :bier:

Just passed 30,000 on the 2001 Sport. No spring failures although the transmission does tend to hang in second when trying to upshift to third. My V65C does the same thing. Birds of a feather I guess. What is it with these 2002 models though? Nary a word about spring breakage for any other years that I can recall.

Nary a word about spring breakage for any other years that I can recall.

Yah, true, no breakage but some very funky shift characteristics especially from early bikes . . .

More than a few of us have experienced increasing false neutrals, missed shifts and otherwise unreliable shift patterns. Apparently the mystery recall for the sliding sleeves is , at least, partly an explanation.

I think we should continue to pool our collective insight.

There is a world's foremost expert on the Guzzi 6-speed and it are us.

Docc,

Is the spring/selector design exactly the same on early V11's?

If it's a bad batch of springs on 02's...what about Wildbill's Oklahoma spring snap? Coincidence (...or conspiracy :ninja: ???) But if it's the design how come it didn't show up before 02's?

:huh: KB, Cymru :sun:

Docc I dont have anymore than 10,000 miles , I haven't ridden it in the last 6 months due to a back injury I was told by several different Doctors that I cant ride bikes anymore. I borrowed a dual purpose bike from Mike at MPH and I can see that this kind of bike will allow me to ride on the sly ...long travel susension Anyway I m looking at a Triumph Tiger ,KTM Duke something along those lines.Anyway I switched to synthetic in the trans at about 4500 miles and noticed a big improvment in shift quality ,not trying to start a oil controversay just my .02.By the way what happened to Konrad? is he still in the U.S.?

KB,

No doubt there was a bad batch of '02 springs ( or maybe sabotage :ninja: ) . yet i'm still quite concerned that the 'indexing spring' looses its funk after a bit leading to some of the vague shifting. The spring upgrade from Thang's efforts id likely to be a very positive thing for all of us in the long run.

Tex,

I know konrad was getting pretty sucked into work, but I hope he's doing OK and riding that silver sport. What color is yours? ( Brian gets a little nervous when I give suspension advice but I do know about 20 years worth of stuff about 'backs'. Ping me off line. Knowledge is power.).