Broken Shift Spring

hgravelpha@aol.com

Guest ratchethack
Yesterday as I was getting off of the freeway, it didn't want to shift down from sixth gear at first. I toed the shift lever a few times and then it shifted just fine down into first gear. When I took off, it shifted up into second gear fine, but would go no further. I was able limp it into a truck stop and call someone to trailer it home for me. 

Dan, one simple thing worth checking is the shift linkage. Many, including myself, have experienced these kinds of symptoms on a gradual basis over time, eventually assuming the worst of our fears - only to discover that the retaining nut on the shift arm pivot bolt at the transmission has backed off, imparting slop and lack of control. In my case, a thorough inspection, cleaning, lubing, and threadlocking immediately restored flawless shifting, and has kept it operating at 100% ever since. ;)

NOTE: I found that doing this was a good time to lube the shift lever pivot (again), which comes dry from the factory. It shifts smoother and with better feel when it's lubed and adjusted for end-float. :thumbsup:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Last night after work, I drained the oil and found it to be contaminated with water. Not alot of water, but it was present. Hadn't expected that. I checked the linkage and it all moved freely. When the problem first surfaced, it shifted a few times, but it won't shift at all now. I think the next step is to remove the side cover and inspect. I'll look for metal paste as Dan M suggested. What I should really do is quit being so cheap and just buy the factory manual. Time to oil the hinges on my wallet.

Fearing the worst, I told the wife we may as well forget about going to the Moto Guzzi National in Iowa this weekend. She has made plans for us to camp in the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas now. Hopefully no parts are needed and I'll still make the Wisconsin rally. YUMMM!!!! Bratwurst, beer and cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem on mine did turn out to be the shifter pawl spring. It had broken almost in the middle of the coil. Jackson Cycle in St. Jo Missouri did not have one, but I was able to source one from MPH. Todd sent it out as promised. Too bad the postal service laid down on the job. It took almost a week. Installation was a bit tricky, as I had bumped the shifter forks and things did not want to line up. Thanks to Ratchethack for suggesting a look at the linkage. It was dry as a bone. And thanks to Todd for the good service. :drink: With the starter removed, this is a good time to bleed out the clutch.