California Vintage

mikie

Jan,

I loaded the DonVolkeroSpecial_05.bin

The new owner is now quite pleased with the bike. He says it starts easy, idles smooth and pulls strong. He can not hear any pinging.

I should get some feedback on MPG in a day or two. He will also check the plugs.

The bike has stock exhaust but is running UNI pods on the stock velocity stacks the used to go into the airbox.

What changes were made between the DonVolkero_05 and the "Cali1100DZ_06.bin"?

Hi Alan,
when I sent you the map "Cali1100DZ_06.bin" in 2019 I wrote:

Attached you will find a radical updated mapping.
I had problems with pinging at high ambient temperatures with all versions of Bernd (Beard)´s mapping (DonVolkero_01.bin to DonVolkero_05.bin).
Bernd decided to use a complete different ignition table then, he fixed some bugs, and the map is a bit enriched at 2500-4000 rpm when opening the throttle.
It seems that Guzzi used the wrong ignition table on the last Californias with dual plugs (Vintage, Classic, Aquila Nera)!

On a ride yesterday at 31°C ambient I had no pinging at all and the bike pulls stronger!

In the the US it could be different because we have better gasoline in Europe (98-102 octane).
Could you give it a test?
:rolleyes:

Interesting comment on the differences in fuels. I have long suspected this. And is there also ethanol in your field?

Hi Jan,

I somehow overlooked that map while I was searching my computer for a map to load on the Calvin.

I will probably see my friend again this Saturday. If so I will try the CALI1100DZ_06.bin.

But he is happy now.

I think it is set to +3 on the CO trim but I will check again.

He was riding it the last couple of days in 30C humid weather.

He is running US grade super 93 octane which I think is equivalent to Euro 98. 

• Like 1

I'm sure he will be willing to do so.

He lives about 75 miles away but will be coming this way on Saturday.

Fortunately a map flash only takes a few minutes.

It was the initial tune up that took a fair bit of time.

@docc: The most common types of gasoline in Germany:

With Ethanol:
Super 95 (up to 5 % Ethanol, 95 ROZ Octane)
Super E10 (up to 10 % Ethanol, 95 ROZ Octane)
Super Plus (up to 5 % Ethanol, 98 ROZ Octane)

Without Ethanol:
Premium gasoline (ROZ ≥ 100 Octane), e.g. Aral Ultimate, Shell V-Power

Super Plus (or better) is preferred for Guzzis.

Europe (Germany) ROZ/RON => „Research Oktanzahl/Researched Octane Number" according to DIN EN ISO 5164

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 7:02 AM, biesel said:

Unfortunately the Vintage is running very lean. The Cali is popping and stuttering as soon as the ambient temperatures are high e.g. 28- 30°C.
I have tested various maps (one from Beetle - very rich and also useable for gasoline of bad quality I guess).
I also worked together with Beard (Guzzidiag) and got one which is better than stock (but also lean) but this one did not work so well in another Vintage.
All those maps switch off the lambda probe, so you have to set the CO-trim (possible with Guzzidiag).

I was wondering if I was the one you were referring to when you said it did not work so well in another Vintage?

I don't think those maps were given a fair evaluation at that time.

I was trying the maps on a friends Vintage that used to be mine and it was running decent but not perfect with a map from a V11 sport.

The butterfly stop screw on the throttle body with the TPS still had the yellow paint on it so we did not check or reset it assuming it is fine from the factory.

It turns out it was off when we checked it last week. The base setting was 128mV rather than 157mV.

So when tuned properly with the right TPS setting the new maps work pretty good.

Hi Allan,
no - not you.
All the maps called "Don_Volkero... .bin" didn´t work better on another Vintage (bike was still popping), no idea why - I was infomed by the owner via email but I have never seen his CalVin.

"Cali1100DZ_06.bin" was not tested by him as far as I know.

We tried a couple of different maps on Sunday.

Cali1100DZ_06.bin ran rough, idle was lower and it stumbled down the road for 100 meters and my friend turned around and came back.

We tried another map, CalVin_15RC_special-5.bin. I don't recall where I got this map from. It worked OK at higher RPMs but was not good down at lower RPMs. 

I just reloaded the Don_VolkeroSpecial_05 and the bike was back to running very good.

The only complaint he has with this map was an occasional stumble at low RPMs like 1500 or so. Just occasional, not consistant. Fuel economy with this map is around 45+.

Hi Allan,
thanks for this feedback!
I got "CalVin_15RC_special-5.bin" directly fom beetle .

I will report to beard that "Don_VolkeroSpecial_05" worked and "Cali1100DZ_06.bin" not.
What does "fuel economy 45+" mean?
What ambient temperatures did you have?