To Forum or not to Forum?

belfastguzzi

This is all interesting and especially for me who is studying design and preferences driven by experiences, social interaction and other influences....etc....etc....etc.... As you can probably tell I am in the middle of an essay and am finding it hard to reach some firm conclusions but I think I know where I am going with it. I hope you do not mind being studied ! One question, if you sold your Guzzi would you still come back to this forum and if so, why ?

I didn't expect an academic study angle – excellent! I'll be pleased to have more observations and contributions (lengthy).

The question posed, is also interesting. The answer is, I guess, no. If I came back, it would be because of friendships that have been created through the forum – and I do regard a number of people here as friends – but the overall context wouldn't be relevant and I probably wouldn't want to be reminded of it or be diverted by it. The selling of the Guzzi would mean that I had moved to other priorities, so I wouldn't want to come back to the forum, as such.

BFG, it maybe the nature of internet forums that they work for groups whose constituents are spread over large geographical areas & seldom meet, but that they don't work so well when membership is concentrated in a local area with ample oportunity to meet face to face? Maybe only a small proportion of motorcyclists participate in internet forums, & if you're targeting only one brand, in one location, the traffic might be very light? Perhaps something simpler - a facebook page? - as a means of communicating? Advertise the page/group/forum in Guzzi shop? Is that the forum you're thinking of changing into a Guzzi sport forum? Good luck whatever you decide.

I think a Facebook page is a good shout! Nice and easy to set up, and you can attract new members easily as the word spreads.

KB- The problem is that there is opportunity to meet – but not ample structure or even motivation to make it happen. My quest is, can the creation of some simple structure be effective in making something of the local opportunity and in creating/encouraging motivation?

I agree that Facebook could be the best means of having a local noticeboard and contact point. It would have been my first choice, definitely. However the guys here aren't on Facebook and don't even use email much! A local web-board seems to me to be the best tool for communication: it is not as scary for people (old people, LOL) as having to join Facebook and while web forums still require 'membership'/sign-on in order to contribute, it is quite easy and accessible – and the forum can be set to be visible to everyone even if they don't sign-in. The only effort that they need to make is to type in or click on the web address.

Well it was going to be uphill from the start and although it's only been a short experiment, outside of the main riding season when people are more active, I conclude that it's fighting a losing battle.

I'll keep a cut-down board as a noticeboard for info when people start riding again

– and go back to just emailing people in the hope of some small immediate response.

I can't help feeling that all this is also a reflection of Guzzi not having the product to gain a new and growing customer base. The guys who are on local forums and Facebook, who are meeting-up and riding: they're not out on Guzzis.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experiment concluded. I've closed the various sub-forums and just left it as a noticeboard function for N.I. meetings and events (which may or may not happen in the future).

Thanks for the discussion folks, there were good points made and I have some food for further thought.