Motobits vs. Motratech Peg Relocation

Like many of us here, I'm not well suited to the stock peg location on the V11. I tried the Buell peg replacement early on, but it really didn't work out quite right for me in regard to alignment with the brake and shift levers, etc. So it was never a perfect(or even near perfect) solution.

I'm not a tall guy(5'8, 30" inseam) so the V11 LeMans riding position was always a little too aggressive for my comfort, especially for longer rides I was just leaning too much into the bars. I suffered some discomfort in my wrists and hands due to forward pressure, and even felt like handling was negatively impacted.

The rearward foot position wasn't too extreme per se, but I think this contributed to the said problems above for me.

My prior bike many years ago was a Yamaha FJ1200, and I felt that the riding position was quite comfortable for 10+ hour rides. My buddy's 1998 VFR, while definitely more aggressive in riding position than the FJ, was also still reasonably comfortable.

So,I'm wondering which of the following two peg kits might get me somewhere in that sweet spot, but not put me into a "cruiser" position either:

http://www.motratech.com/Motratech/MGCSB10.html

http://www.motobits.com/guzzi.htm

Both kits look to be high quality, and I know several folks here including Greg Fields run the Motobits kit. And of course one of our forum contributors makes the Motratech kit, and it too has been endorsed as high quality.

I think the nod to quality and fit/finish appears to go to the Motratech kit though, and it is a bit more expensive. Although the Motratech kit doesn't drop the height much, it moves the pegs a full 140mm forward, which I'm not sure is good or bad for me. That seems like a big jump forward.

The Motobits kit is about 1 inch down and forward, similar and maybe a bit more than the Buell solution, but with the advantage of keeping all the shift/brake levers aligned and adjustable like the Motratech kit. One downside I see with the Motobits kit is the lack of folding pegs. Has anyone adapted the stock folding pegs, or other, to the Motobits kit?

I'll probably do some visual mock-up on the bike, but there is no substitute for actually riding with the parts installed. Unfortunately at $350-500 a piece, one can't really afford to buy and try both.

So, I'm curious to hear others' experiences running either the Motobits and/or Motratech kits.

I've seen several positive posts here about the Motobits and Motratech pegs in passing, but wondered if we had any long-term or even if lucky some head-to-head comparisons in ride feel/comfort?

If the Motobits are somewhat like the Buell solution, then that helps a bit. I have heard the position with the Motratech kit is similar to a Centauro location? Not sure....

Thanks,

Al

I am interested in responses to this as well...at only 5'10", the riding position folds my 50something knees so tight that I am quite sore after an hour in the saddle. I would think they need to go down an inch at a minimum. Alternative is looking more and more like a trade to something with more room. k

Last year or maybe the year before I bought the Motratech kit for my 04 LeMans. At that point I was going to turn it into a serious long distance bike with bags and even an aux fuel cell. Well things change and I bought a Can Am Spyder for my long distance machine and now the Guzzi is going back to it original form so I don't need my Motratech kit. It has never been installed. I've been planning forever to put it up for sale but just never got around to it. Bottom line is it's for sale for $350.00 and that includes shipping via Priority Mail. PM me and let me know. Now I'm going to go list it on the for sale page too.

Last year or maybe the year before I bought the Motratech kit for my 04 LeMans. At that point I was going to turn it into a serious long distance bike with bags and even an aux fuel cell. Well things change and I bought a Can Am Spyder for my long distance machine and now the Guzzi is going back to it original form so I don't need my Motratech kit. It has never been installed. I've been planning forever to put it up for sale but just never got around to it. Bottom line is it's for sale for $350.00 and that includes shipping via Priority Mail. PM me and let me know. Now I'm going to go list it on the for sale page too.

You have a PM.

Perhaps I will be able to test both after all :bike:

Thanks,

Al

I've had the motobits for a number of years and like them. They move your feet down and forward about the same distance the MPH riser moves your hands up and back so the result is rotating your body slightly more upright. Very comfortable position for me. 5'11", 31" inseam.

The Guzzi 'ergal' adjustable pegs are not quite as dramatic, but do a decent job. I'm late 40's and have no problems after 6-7 hours. Well, not with my legs anyhow. They are similar to the Evoluzione kit (if anyone remembers those).

Just bought a set of MotoBits on eBay. Sorry to anyone who was bidding.

I'll let you know what I think an a month or so ....

Yeah, I was watching those and considered bidding so I could test both. But the price was getting pretty high so I just opted to test the Motratechs first. If I don't like them, I can try a set of the Motobits later.

al

I purchased my '02 Le Mans from fellow board member Edge (Richard Edginton) with Buell pegs and Two Brothers Racing handlebar risers already installed. It still seemed a bit "contortionist" for my old bones so I purchased and installed the Motratech control kit. That made a major improvement, but I started getting greedy/picky.

I thought I would like the position just a bit less forward and maybe a touch lower. Which is exactly what the Buell pegs do! Thinking it could not hurt to try, I put the Buell pegs on (a 5 minute job since the Motratech uses the stock Guzzi peg mounts) and rode about 230 miles. Very comfortable! For me this is just the ticket. I am 5'10" tall but have a short (for my height) 31" inseam. I do not think this setup would work nearly as well without handlebar risers as your hip to torso angle would probably be bent too far forward for comfort. The Two Brothers handlebar setup is no longer available, but the MPH riser kit or Convertibars would work equally well.

• 2 months later...

I purchased my '02 Le Mans from fellow board member Edge (Richard Edginton) with Buell pegs and Two Brothers Racing handlebar risers already installed. It still seemed a bit "contortionist" for my old bones so I purchased and installed the Motratech control kit. That made a major improvement, but I started getting greedy/picky.

I thought I would like the position just a bit less forward and maybe a touch lower. Which is exactly what the Buell pegs do! Thinking it could not hurt to try, I put the Buell pegs on (a 5 minute job since the Motratech uses the stock Guzzi peg mounts) and rode about 230 miles. Very comfortable! For me this is just the ticket. I am 5'10" tall but have a short (for my height) 31" inseam. I do not think this setup would work nearly as well without handlebar risers as your hip to torso angle would probably be bent too far forward for comfort. The Two Brothers handlebar setup is no longer available, but the MPH riser kit or Convertibars would work equally well.

Hey, I know this is a "semi-old" thread...do either the aftermarket solutions offer the ability to reverse the shift pattern? I'm tryin get all of my bikes on one pattern if I can...track bike is reversed and is staying that way. It would be a plus to be able to accomplish this!

I need to get my pegs lowered, and have been thinking of the Motobits. I'm not planning on raising the bars (yet) - I think I can live with them.

I know the pegs need to be lower, but I'm not so sure about moving them forward - esp if I don't raise my bars. Looking at the seat-to-peg layout of this bike, it seems to me that it might be even more comfortable if the pegs were lowered and moved back, instead of forward. Has anyone tried this? Are there any kits that would make this adjustment?

I need to get my pegs lowered, and have been thinking of the Motobits. I'm not planning on raising the bars (yet) - I think I can live with them.

I know the pegs need to be lower, but I'm not so sure about moving them forward - esp if I don't raise my bars. Looking at the seat-to-peg layout of this bike, it seems to me that it might be even more comfortable if the pegs were lowered and moved back, instead of forward. Has anyone tried this? Are there any kits that would make this adjustment?

Morning RHIP,

I don't know where you are but if you do decide to change to cafe sport style handlebars I have a complete set of parts that I am thinking of selling.

Andy

Morning RHIP,

I don't know where you are but if you do decide to change to cafe sport style handlebars I have a complete set of parts that I am thinking of selling.

Andy

G'day, Andy!

Most of the time, I don't know where I am, either, but they tell me it's in the cold, rainy state of Minnesota. I'm not planning on changing the bars anytime soon, but if i do, I'll see if you still have the kit. If you find a buyer, go to it - thanks!

• 4 months later...