Motobits vs. Motratech Peg Relocation

I need to get my pegs lowered, and have been thinking of the Motobits. I'm not planning on raising the bars (yet) - I think I can live with them.

I know the pegs need to be lower, but I'm not so sure about moving them forward - esp if I don't raise my bars. Looking at the seat-to-peg layout of this bike, it seems to me that it might be even more comfortable if the pegs were lowered and moved back, instead of forward. Has anyone tried this? Are there any kits that would make this adjustment?

RHIP, this is exactly what the Evoluzione kit did when it was available. My brother in law has this on his red frame V11 Sport with the MPH risers, and IMO it succeeds perfectly where all the other kits miss the point. This bike transfers enough of the weight from your tailbone (which putting the feet more forward just makes worse) to your thighs by moving the feet down and back. The back and down is a less aggressive knee angle, better seat (butt) support and does not 'jack-knife you forward, and it provides a neutral cornering position to move around as you wish on the bike.

Sad to say, the kit is no longer made. Apparently it was a simple matter of relocating in to existing holes on the pork chops and included some different bolts and bits and was much less expensive to boot, but was not really worth the hassle for the vendor to sell them for the small price (I think I was told it was less than $50) that they sold for.

I have a promise from said brother in law to let me disassemble his alongside mine this winter, and see if I can source the needed parts. If it's just a matter of new bolts I'll post up information so that others can benefit as well.

I will admit my first street bike was a GSXR, and I am partial to having my feet back. I found my FJ1200 to be too forward, as was my RD400 Daytona (although I had clubman bars on it, making it the jack-knife position I hated). I would like to get a peg position not unlike the one on my 93 VFR750, which is more back than seems to be the taste for many on the forum here. I don't get why, as to me you want to go down and back enough to support some weight with your thighs and off the tail bone... although hundreds of thousands of Harley riders obviously disagree....

By the way, I have raised adjustable Tommaselli clip ons on my bike, and while the 'feet forward, arms down' position is better than it was previously, it still needs a rearset solution to rotate the pelvis forward a bit....

• Like 1

"I have a promise from said brother in law to let me disassemble his alongside mine this winter, and see if I can source the needed parts. If it's just a matter of new bolts I'll post up information so that others can benefit as well."

I`m interested in buying these parts too!

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but its dealing with a common problem. 

I wish I could find a set of Buell pegs to try. I ended up buying a Motratech peg lowering kit. I have not yet installed it, but wondered what other's experience was with Motratech. Mine so far has been lackluster save for a decent first conversation with him.When we talked, he had one set so I got online and ordered it--spendy for sure, but I'd read reviews and thought our talk was good. $35 shipping, yet the box arrive with a $12.95 US Postage sticker, no explanation. Aggrevating, but not the end of the world.

I paid with PayPal, almost $500 but heard nothing from him for 10-days. When I called, he informed me that he wasn't happy with the castings (?) and would get it shipped the next couple days. Still nothing. I began e-mailing him every day or two and got one story or another about why it'll be shipped by this day, then that day. Then the end of the week. Got an e-mail at the end of the week informing me that he was missing one stainless steel screw and was having more screws overnighted so he could ship the kit out the next day (Saturday). Monday late,  I got another e-mail, sorry I couldn't get the kit to you this weekend, the screws (yes, the overnighted ones) only came in on Monday. 

Finally, the next Thursday, almost a month after I ordered (and paid for) the one last set he had, the order arrived. I opened the box and was highly disappointed. Sloppy packaging left the pieces at the bottom of the box with a couple small pieces of newspaper tossed in--but the whole box rattled.

When I opened it, the brake foot peg appears to have been filed down such that it has no 'grip' and doesn't match the shifter peg on the other side. There are also several areas on the castings with there is no metal. 

I'll try the kit this weekend, but for charging me 3-times what the actually shipping was and $450 for the 'kit' I'm less than impressed. The promise of better ergos and that he actually had the same issue is the only reason I am not hopping mad over this less than stellar customer experience. What ever happened to charging a customer once the product had been shipped? And at this price, I kind of feel like I got a sloppy second he had laying around rather than tell me he won't have any until XYZ date when he does another run. 

Hmmpf...end of rant. Let's hope it solves the ergos. 

I just got one of John's kits and am totally happy with it.  Now I am not even sure I need to raise the clip ons any more so I have stopped working on that project.  The filed brake lever I am not sure I understand as your existing rubber goes on it and the shifter toe piece?  I like mine, didn't stare at the postage on the box and it was packaged fine.  I think once it's on you will calm down.  And as for service this ain't the 50's any more!  Have fun with it!!

"I have a promise from said brother in law to let me disassemble his alongside mine this winter, and see if I can source the needed parts. If it's just a matter of new bolts I'll post up information so that others can benefit as well."

I`m interested in buying these parts too!

OK, we're supposed to be having a go at it on Sunday and I will take pictures as best I can.  My hope is that there won't be any special parts and I might just be able to provide a parts list and some instructions that interested people could use to source what they need locally.  I might be persuaded otherwise if there is a custom run needed and sufficient interest, but let's leave that for now.

The one caveat I have noted with this is that if your feet are smaller than about a size 9.5, you will have to shift your left foot forward to reach the shifter due to the distance back.  Mine are 10-10.5 and I don't have any issues.  The height seems to adjust fine, and I didn't notice an issue with the brake (although I rarely use mine and again my feet are a bit bigger than brother in law's).

Anyone by any chance have a copy of the original instructions from the Evoluzione kit?

I wish I could find a set of Buell pegs to try.

Sorry, you're at the wrong end of the country from me! ;)  The Buell Ulysses pegs look OK, I actually like the looks of the massive Buell castings much better than the dimunitive pegs that come stock: they seem to fit the overall "burly" look of the V11's better, but not everyone would agree. The key is, I wear a size 11 shoe, and prefer to ride w/ my toes off to the side of the control pedals vs. on them [which tends to lead to things like overheated rear brakes, and spontaneous downshifting when hitting bumps, in my case.] It's too bad the Buell pegs aren't a direct swap, or you could find someone w/ a Uly and ask to try them on: the permanent mods aren't difficult, but they're visible and not likely to be looked upon with favor once the pegs are back on the donor... ;)

I've been happy w/ the Buell pegs, altho' they do make paddling the bike around in the garage or a parking lot more difficult because not only do they stick out further than the stock pegs, but the built in "curb feelers" stick out even further and can gouge you if you're not careful.

I know this is an older thread, but its dealing with a common problem. 

I wish I could find a set of Buell pegs to try. I ended up buying a Motratech peg lowering kit. I have not yet installed it, but wondered what other's experience was with Motratech. Mine so far has been lackluster save for a decent first conversation with him.When we talked, he had one set so I got online and ordered it--spendy for sure, but I'd read reviews and thought our talk was good. $35 shipping, yet the box arrive with a $12.95 US Postage sticker, no explanation. Aggrevating, but not the end of the world.

I paid with PayPal, almost $500 but heard nothing from him for 10-days. When I called, he informed me that he wasn't happy with the castings (?) and would get it shipped the next couple days. Still nothing. I began e-mailing him every day or two and got one story or another about why it'll be shipped by this day, then that day. Then the end of the week. Got an e-mail at the end of the week informing me that he was missing one stainless steel screw and was having more screws overnighted so he could ship the kit out the next day (Saturday). Monday late,  I got another e-mail, sorry I couldn't get the kit to you this weekend, the screws (yes, the overnighted ones) only came in on Monday. 

Finally, the next Thursday, almost a month after I ordered (and paid for) the one last set he had, the order arrived. I opened the box and was highly disappointed. Sloppy packaging left the pieces at the bottom of the box with a couple small pieces of newspaper tossed in--but the whole box rattled.

When I opened it, the brake foot peg appears to have been filed down such that it has no 'grip' and doesn't match the shifter peg on the other side. There are also several areas on the castings with there is no metal. 

I'll try the kit this weekend, but for charging me 3-times what the actually shipping was and $450 for the 'kit' I'm less than impressed. The promise of better ergos and that he actually had the same issue is the only reason I am not hopping mad over this less than stellar customer experience. What ever happened to charging a customer once the product had been shipped? And at this price, I kind of feel like I got a sloppy second he had laying around rather than tell me he won't have any until XYZ date when he does another run. 

Hmmpf...end of rant. Let's hope it solves the ergos. 

You have every right to be pissed! I would be from your description..  Lucky me, I just raised the clip ons and everything fits me fine.. took from winter storage today for some fresh premium Non-ox.. It's all good and may the sun shine manyana..

So I purchased the motratech kit recently and i must say I thought it could have been finished a little better. I'm not one of the prissy bike crowd (why I love the flat black Scura) and I'm not fussed but if you are one for shiny bits then you will need to spend a bit of time with a file and buff (dremmel) to get it nice

• 1 month later...

I just put a set of the Motratech controls on my Coppa and am pleased with them. They come with good instructions and all the necessary hardware and are not difficult to install. My knees are glad I made the conversion.

Bill Bassett

Is there anyone riding these bikes that has good knees ? I thought being left-handed and a Mac owner were the requirements....

p.s. my knees are killing me too.