Rear brake light switch

Tom M

My rear brake light switch has packed it in. I jumped across the terminals and verified that the brake light works but the switch doesn't close the circuit.

Anybody know if there's a replacement available from an autoparts store? I tried searching here but couldn't find any posts on this particular part.

Cant help you with any auto part, but the rubber boot that supposedly protects the terminals on mine is split all over so its only a matter of time before mine fails as well. Has anyone got a part no. For that or a fix !!!

I don't know if someone has researched and has an aftermarket part # . I wouldn't wate my time looking and NONE of these chain stores have anyone smart enough to look through a buyers guide.

As critical as a rear brake switch is, I don't think you need to do anything but get one from Guzzi. They can't be that expensive and you don't want ANY surprises !

This is the first I've heard of one going down. Is it mechanical or a pressure switch?

It's a pressure switch Doc. I didn't completely remove it to get a look at the whole part because I didn't want to bother with bleeding the rear brake again, but it might be the same as this one that's used on a number of older Guzzis:

14657050.jpg

MG Cycle gets $40 plus shipping for this one. MPH never responded to my request for a price so I ordered one from a dealer near my workplace. I've never done business with them but they seem to have a good reputation among the New England Guzzi guys. http://www.seacoastsport.com/

Tom,

I wish I knew it was that much. I have some things I bought off eBay & it was in the box of parts. I would have sent it to you. Sorry.

The automotive part to replace it would have to be for a foriegn car, probably pre 1970s. I don't remember the last time I saw a stop lamp switch that was hydraulic in it's operation.

This is the first I've heard of one going down. Is it mechanical or a pressure switch?

It's a pressure switch Doc. I didn't completely remove it to get a look at the whole part because I didn't want to bother with bleeding the rear brake again, but it might be the same as this one that's used on a number of older Guzzis:

14657050.jpg

MG Cycle gets $40 plus shipping for this one. MPH never responded to my request for a price so I ordered one from a dealer near my workplace. I've never done business with them but they seem to have a good reputation among the New England Guzzi guys. http://www.seacoastsport.com/

I have not seen a pressure switch like that for automotive brake lights. From about '95 to '02 Fords used something similar on their master cylinders for cruise control interrupt but I don't know if it is normally open or normally closed. Early ones were problematic and recalled.

Cant help you with any auto part, but the rubber boot that supposedly protects the terminals on mine is split all over so its only a matter of time before mine fails as well. Has anyone got a part no. For that or a fix !!!

I think the boot comes as part of the wiring loom you could replace with some heat shrink or you can get right angle heat shrink boots at a price.