Striped trans drain plug

BRENTTODD

The drain threads in the trans for drain plug striped. Any one have any ideas besides heli coil. Has anyone done any crafty stuff I havent thought of?

Thanks

Brent

JB weld something in there with a cap on or perhaps just a suitable size nut.

Wine bottle cork boiled in water to make soft.

Seriously if you can get someone to put in a heli coil, thats a fix better than original.

Roy

The drain threads in the trans for drain plug striped. Any one have any ideas besides heli coil. Has anyone done any crafty stuff I havent thought of?

Thanks

Brent

JB weld something in there with a cap on or perhaps just a suitable size nut.

Wine bottle cork boiled in water to make soft.

Seriously if you can get someone to put in a heli coil, thats a fix better than original.

Roy

Yea I know I gona have to go that way. I just wanted to see how creative we are

It might be more cost effective to take it to a shop that has the right size heli coil, the tap would be quite expensive for just a one off.

I bought a 6mm kit to do my rocker covers about $35.

I have seen a cheaper kit for doing spark plugs, perhaps that's an option, most garages would have one of those I would think.

• 3 years later...

Old topic, I know, but I now have the same problem (stripped, or nearly so, trans drain plug). I've had too many helicoils come out with the bolt on bikes past, so don't really trust them. I like time-sets, but it's about $85 for the kit and requires removiing a bit more of the aluminum than I'm really comfortable with. The original bolt is 10mm (25/64 inch). One more millimeter puts it at 7/16", so I'm thinking of just tapping it to  7/16-20 and putting in a bolt and crush washer. Anyone tried this?

Old topic, I know, but I now have the same problem (stripped, or nearly so, trans drain plug). I've had too many heli-coils come out with the bolt on bikes past, so don't really trust them. I like time-sets, but it's about $85 for the kit and requires removing a bit more of the aluminum than I'm really comfortable with. The original bolt is 10mm (25/64 inch). One more millimeter puts it at 7/16", so I'm thinking of just tapping it to  7/16-20 and putting in a bolt and crush washer. Anyone tried this?

I haven't tried it and I can only see two difficulties.

1.  How would you keep the chips out of the transmission case?

2.  I would go larger than 7/16-20 however.  The 7/16-20 is so close that you would end up cutting through the 10mm threads which would make it very easy to cross thread. and very leaky.

One more millimeter puts it at 7/16", so I'm thinking of just tapping it to 7/16-20 and putting in a bolt and crush washer. Anyone tried this?

I’ve done this with a help of a guy who I trusted. It is difficult to keep the bore 100% upright: if the bigger bolt is not level with the gearbox it is difficult to get the plug tight. I used copper gasket.

How would you keep the chips out of the transmission case

Oil out + open up the side cover as when changing the shift lever “magic spring” => it’s easy to clean everything up.

The moisture on the picture does not come from the bolt ("new plug") - the reason was the front side of the back flange of the gearbox. This is why I ruined the threads from the plug in the first place. I thought the plug was leaking.

Plug.jpg

Plenty of grease on the tap, don't go more than a turn at a time (back out, clean,more grease) keeps the chips in the grooves on the tap.