Can't tell left from right

abouc

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. When referring to left cylinder does that mean my left as viewed from the saddle, or my left viewed while standing in front of the bike? I am about to inspect the valves, and Guzziology (version 7) has me really confused on page 4-8 where it talks about finding TDC on Big Twins.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. When referring to left cylinder does that mean my left as viewed from the saddle, or my left viewed while standing in front of the bike? I am about to inspect the valves, and Guzziology (version 7) has me really confused on page 4-8 where it talks about finding TDC on Big Twins.

The left is as if you are sitting on the bike. It's standard practice. Watch for the intake valve to open, and then close on the left cylinder as you are turning it with a wrench on the alternator nut. It will then be coming up on the compression stroke. You check the valves at Top Dead Center of the compression stroke. If you take out the rubber plug on the right side, you can see the flywheel. When it is on TDC of the left cylinder, you will see an S (Snot dis side) itsa eye talian. Do the valve adjust, then keep turning the crankshaft 270 degrees, and you will see a D (Dis side) on the flywheel. Adjust that cylinder. Easy Peasey.

Search is your friend, btw.. there are many threads here, and on other sites it this isn't plain enough.

Thanks Chuck. That's what I figured, but thought it was better to double check before beginning. I've already printed the Valve Adjustment thread for easy step-by-step reference.

When sitting on the bike, the left side corresponds to the foot with the red sock on it...the right side has the foot with the green sock (an old Sailor joke) :oldgit: k

"Dis side" - ha aha haha ! That's some precious eye'talian'merican stuff!:grin:

From the latin "dexter" for right and "sinister" for left I believe ...

'destra' e 'sinistra' in italiano.

Saluti,

Anders

• 2 weeks later...

Why not make it Port and Starboard side ?

Bad news on that: Starboard is the right side of the ship. The Italian "S" is for "sinestra" (left) aka Simon Bar Sinister

"S" is not for "starboard."