Note: V7 Classic/Café/Racer under-tank issues.

callison

I removed the tank of my V7 Café this afternoon to add wiring for a set of Fiamm horns. When I finally got the tank off (what a pita!) I was presented with the following views (first and third images). The bike has 5000+ miles on it. There is an appreciable amount of chafing going on where the wiring harness is flat up against the underside of the fuel tank.

Note the green tank material deposited on the wiring harness below the coil. That is material rubbed off of the underside of the fuel tank. The harness is hard up against the coil with insufficient space to clear the underside of the fuel tank. (The yellow/brown and white wires are wiring that I've added for a horn relay under the left side cover.)

001.jpg

Here I've moved the bend in the harness a tad further aft and tie-wrapped the lower bend further inboard of the frame rail.

005.jpg

Note the green tank material deposited on the folded over part of the harness lead going to the connector tie-wrapped to the bottom fram rail.

002.jpg

Here I've snugged wiring lead up against the top frame tube and tie-wrapped it in place.

006.jpg

Here, the tank fuel vent line was crimped so badly beneath the tank that it became brittle and broke. All I could do here at the moment, was cut out the bad section, re-route and stretch the tube and finagle it back into place when I put the tank back on.

003.jpg

As a side note, the tank fits so snugly on the front mount that to engage the rear tank bolt requires a monumental amount of pressure be exerted on the tank to push it forward enough to allow the bolt to be threaded. In the near future, I will remove some material from the very rear portion of the tank rubber snubbers at the front tank mount so that less pressure is required. Somehow, I don't think that the amount of stress being applied to the bottom of the tank from the mounts is a positive thing.